Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG

"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change, form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies, in a twinkling.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function.This is the law."
louis sullivan.

cooney has no form. he's a peel off chucker. usually drifting and feet not set. thus the limited function.

Hoping that with a good year for G and some more perimeter threats, he will get some better looks and then develop some confidence/rhythm.

That's certainly possible. My biggest hope for Cooney really has more to do with JB. I hope JB gives him more rest to keep his legs fresh...and I hope he goes to his bench more in games when TC is ice cold.

cooney scrambling around all game helter skelter is another recipe for disaster. hopefully JB watched enuf tape to realize this. any smart coach would. he needs to figure out how to run some offense to get trevor's feet set behind the line.

This was a fun thread that just illustrates some of you have no idea what you're talking about! Which of you, is"to be determined." Here is what I know about this years team...Roberson is a PF and Trevor is and will start at the 2G. Personally I am tired of watching an offensively challenged team so I think we see a lot of Richardson until he proves he can't hit a jump shot (defense be damned, we play a freaking zone for goodness sake). G will play a lot, sounds like a majority at the 1G? Not sure what we'll get from everyone else but put me in the camp of those that expect to see plenty of Lydon. I hope Kaleb has matured and provides solid guard minutes off the bench. Not sure what to expect from everyone else.

Interesting. It seems that Silent G doesn't think much of Joseph or there isn't much trust there? I don't know. I like many am hoping KJ comes out of the gate fast. I don't want to see THAT much of Silent G at PG. We won't be very good if that's the case, imo.

I like the idea, but so G can play the important minutes off the ball. And if Kaleb has a rough first half then pop G back in at point to start the second, as the beginning of the second half is so key. If Kaleb ends the half good give him the keys to start the second.

I think G is much more relaxed when he doesn't have to bend over to protect the ball and can be the off the ball threat he is meant to be. But, he has to play some guard its where his nba potential is imo.

cooney scrambling around all game helter skelter is another recipe for disaster. hopefully JB watched enuf tape to realize this. any smart coach would. he needs to figure out how to run some offense to get trevor's feet set behind the line.

Cooney won't have to many wide open looks outside of transition, thats the way it has been for 2 years and it isn't going to change now. He will need to pull up off the bounce or with a jabstep. I don't see Cooneys minutes descending much he will go through some cold streaks and long periods without shooting like he has for two years, that isn't going to change imo. But somebody else has to step up as a motion and spot up shooter. And Gbinije Lydon and Richardson all have better size as well at that position to spot up. Maybe even Joseph if his driving game doesn't get better. And G is going to be the guy to be doubled so I doubt we see much motion from him instead more of a senior K-Jo, Carmelo(at times) look where he starts his go to game game from the perimeter. And I am really high on gbinije. He has the potential to be a better pull up shooter from the perimeter then Wes(who shot better stationary imo) He really has the potential to be Dnic, Carmeloesque off the dribble, but we know that already!

Last edited:
Interesting. It seems that Silent G doesn't think much of Joseph or there isn't much trust there? I don't know. I like many am hoping KJ comes out of the gate fast. I don't want to see THAT much of Silent G at PG. We won't be very good if that's the case, imo.

Or maybe he wants to play on the next level and realizes to do so he needs to be a PG or off guard. Cause he ain't going as a SF. He's the same height as Klay Thompson, maybe he's trying to develop that game as well. Just a thought...

Lots of good stuff in this thread guys! Now that the finals are over its going to be a looooong wait for college hoops, especially after last seasons.
Not a long wait! Haven't you noticed how quickly 2015 has gone?? It's almost the summer solstice, for pity's sake! I, for one, am trying to do everything backwards in an attempt to slow time down.

(Not working...)

Not a long wait! Haven't you noticed how quickly 2015 has gone?? It's almost the summer solstice, for pity's sake! I, for one, am trying to do everything backwards in an attempt to slow time down.

(Not working...)

Ones perception of how long something takes is relative to how long they have lived among other things but that's the main one. If you are 4 then a year is a 1/4 of your life which is a hella long time to you. You are of course correct that it will go by faster than I think.

Unequivocally false.

He most certainly CAN. The question is, WILL he? How much improvement will he show after an offseason devoted to improvement, building upon the starting experience he gained last season? That's a legitimate question, granted, but to say he "can't" is bunk, IMO.
My experience watching basketball tells me he is not a high level player. His refusal to even attempt to play defense says he is either lazy, arrogant or complacent. He demostrated no appreciable offensive basketball skills and could not handle the slightest defensive pressure. He lost his job to a small forward. The staff is begging to bring in guys to play ahead of him as an upperclassmen.
Hope he proves me wrong, but his will be an open scholarship next year.

My experience watching basketball tells me he is not a high level player. His refusal to even attempt to play defense says he is either lazy, arrogant or complacent. He demostrated no appreciable offensive basketball skills and could not handle the slightest defensive pressure. He lost his job to a small forward. The staff is begging to bring in guys to play ahead of him as an upperclassmen.
Hope he proves me wrong, but his will be an open scholarship next year.

I respect your opinion, but IMO the majority of your assessment is unsubstantiated opinion with little basis in fact. I think you will be singing a far different tune when you see Joseph play this upcoming season, based upon what I've heard.

He definitely showed some developmental opportunities and will need to show improvement--no argument there.

I respect your opinion, but IMO the majority of your assessment is unsubstantiated opinion with little basis in fact. I think you will be singing a far different tune when you see Joseph play this upcoming season, based upon what I've heard.

He definitely showed some developmental opportunities and will need to show improvement--no argument there.

If you look at Orange Hoops year by year numbers Joseph is pretty much in line with other great PGs from previous teams. I think he's going to be terrific. It may be next year or the one after that. I think many people are completely spoiled by Ennis. Joseph definitely had some bad moments last season. But he also has some moments of brilliance. I attribute a lot of his bad moments to freshmen-itus. I am very hopeful he's going to make a very good leap this season. Maybe not as good as Dion but still very good. Dion had a lot of help from Scoop who shoulder a lot of the yeomen's work. Scoop did a lot of stuff that really helped Dion shine.

http://www.orangehoops.org/

This is funny. Why he considered not returning:

MG:
Yeah, I did. That's more because if I came back, I would have to take classes. And no one wants to take classes.

(His dad interjects: "This is going in print." Mike: "That's fine.")

th
It could have been so much worse: [Kemba Walker]:
http://bossip.com/372071/you-cant-be-serious-kemba-walker- admits-to-just-recently-reading-his-first-full-book-ever-43081/

It could have been so much worse: [Kemba Walker]:
http://bossip.com/372071/you-cant-be-serious-kemba-walker- admits-to-just-recently-reading-his-first-full-book-ever-43081/
You know, I can almost see how this could happen. In jr high and high school, he never read for pleasure. He was undoubtedly obsessed with basketball. He read what he had to read. When I look back at my college days, I easily could have graduated without reading a book from cover to cover. Texts I often skimmed or only read partially. However, I did take a couple comp lit courses which required me to read. I bet Kemba never took comparative literature.

I read for pleasure in college but always felt guilty doing so, since I was "supposed" to be doing school work.

I like Kemba. I am pretty certain he is smart. I am sure many people will try to "read" something into his confesession. Har har har!

Either way, it's an interesting discussion. And it made me want to write out my thoughts on what I think are the three most likely lineups: http://.com/what-could-the-starting-five-look-like-for-the-orange/
Playing G at PG is a bandaid that (IMO) JB will use only as long as he has to (while KJ comes up to speed). Moving G away from the 3 creates a giant hole at the position (there's no experienced/capable backup there). If this is necessary, I'm intrigued by your "option 3", for a couple reasons:

1. With G at PG (and a hole at the 3), I don't think JB is going to turn to a 6'6 freshman guard (MR). Richardson could play there in a small lineup, but to me he projects as a volume scorer up top, lacking both the length and defensive experience to tackle rebounding and defending against beefier SF's (think, Justin Anderson);

2. I also don't see Roberson sliding over to the 3. While his size fits the spot, his (present) skill set does not. So playing Tyler Lydon there is alluring because he can shoot it from outside (we need outside firepower to take the heat off TC). If Lydon is ready to contribute, I can actually see him playing PF on defense and SF on offense. Having 6'9 200+ (Lydon) on the other side of the rim (opposite the center) frees up Roberson to rebound/get put backs in space around the rim rather than trying to bear-wrestle 240 pound guys for position.

This year is going to be a hybrid year, with lots of switching to take advantage of matchups, skill sets, experience, the hot hand, etc. I do think KJ has the talent to be a great player for us .. WHEN he gets there is obviously a question. Having a swiss army knife like G is a luxury while KJ is learning, with G's scoring ability, his length and his experience. What I'm not sanguine about is his ability to stay in front of ACC guards ... we were getting penetrated at will by some teams, leading to easy baskets or dishes/dunks (KJ was no better on D). For this reason, I don't see G as a panacea at PG, nor do I see Richardson getting significant minutes if he plays ole' defense.

Last edited:
G wants to play the point and i hope he does it well as it is his only chance to make the league

I hear you and I hope I am wrong, but the facts upon which my opinion is based are all of the games last year, and his consistent poor play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom