Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG

Playing G at PG is a bandaid that (IMO) JB will use only as long as he has to (while KJ comes up to speed). Moving G away from the 3 creates a giant hole at the position (there's no experienced/capable backup there). If it's necessary, I'm intrigued by your "option 3", for a couple reasons:

1. With G at PG (and a hole at the 3), I don't think JB is going to turn to a 6'6 freshman guard (MR). Richardson could play there in a small lineup, but to me he projects as a volume scorer up top, lacking both the length and defensive experience to tackle rebounding and defending the SF position against 6-7/6-8 players;

2. I also don't see Roberson sliding over to the 3. While his size fits the spot, his (present) skill set does not. So playing Tyler Lydon there is alluring because he can shoot it from outside (we need outside firepower to take the heat off TC). If Lydon plays, I can actually see him at the 4 on defense and the 3 on offense. Having 6'9 200+ (Lydon) on the other side of the rim (opposite the center) frees up Roberson to rebound/get put backs in space around the rim rather than trying to bear-wrestle 240 pound guys for position.

This year is going to be a hybrid year, with lots of switching to take advantage of matchups, skill sets, experience, the hot hand, etc. I do think KJ has the talent to be a great player for us .. WHEN he gets there is obviously a question. Having a swiss army knife like G is a luxury while KJ is learning, with G's scoring ability, his length and his experience. What I'm not sanguine about is his ability to stay in front of ACC guards ... we were getting penetrated at will by some teams, leading to easy baskets or dishes/dunks (KJ was no better on D). For this reason, I don't see G as a panacea at PG, nor do I see Richardson getting a ton of minutes if he plays ole' defense.
I know many want to analyze based only on recent history but I thought I'd remind some of you of former small forwards or 2 guards masquerading as small forwards; Michael Gbinije, Andy Rautins, Paul Harris, Josh Pace, Preston Shumpert, Marius Janulis, Jason Cipolla, Lawrence Moten, Luke Jackson, Scott McCorkle, Dave Johnson, Stevie Thompson, Raf Addison, Erich Santifer, Leo Rautins, Tony Bruin, Dale Shackelford. Almost all of those players were given a chance to contribute their freshman seasons or first season for the transfers. I think it is a pretty good bet Richardson gets every chance to play a lot. He's also a Mickey D and they always get an opportunity, even those that are unprepared big guy starters. He's not some 3 star marginal recruit. Don't let the Mickey D performance get you down.

Have we talked about the size in the zone if it's Richardson/Cooney at the top? Not sure about the lateral quickness, but that's tough to shoot over for small guards.

Have we talked about the size in the zone if it's Richardson/Cooney at the top? Not sure about the lateral quickness, but that's tough to shoot over for small guards.

I doubt you will see that combo. At least at the beginning of the season. It depends on how well both them are doing. I think we will see these combos for PG and SG in order of most frequent:

1. KJ, TC
2. KJ, MR
3. MG, TC

JB has a pretty strong history of playing the most experience players first followed by who is playing the best at any position. If MR is shooting lights out I can't imagine he's not going to get significant playing time.

I know many want to analyze based only on recent history but I thought I'd remind some of you of former small forwards or 2 guards masquerading as small forwards; Michael Gbinije, Andy Rautins, Paul Harris, Josh Pace, Preston Shumpert, Marius Janulis, Jason Cipolla, Lawrence Moten, Luke Jackson, Scott McCorkle, Dave Johnson, Stevie Thompson, Raf Addison, Erich Santifer, Leo Rautins, Tony Bruin, Dale Shackelford. Almost all of those players were given a chance to contribute their freshman seasons or first season for the transfers. I think it is a pretty good bet Richardson gets every chance to play a lot. He's also a Mickey D and they always get an opportunity, even those that are unprepared big guy starters. He's not some 3 star marginal recruit. Don't let the Mickey D performance get you down.
Rautins played mostly 2g for us (Johnson played the 3, and we had Jackson and Arinze in the middle). The others played on teams with some of the best front line players ever to play for SU. Jason Cipolla played on a team with Olvcina and Etan Thomas in the middle. Moten had Reafsnder and Otis Hill in the middle. McCorkle and Johnson had LeRon Ellis and Billy Owens, and later Conrad McCrae in the middle.

Look at our front line this year --- we have DC2 (who is not a leaper, hasn't played a full season in 2 years and is coming off major surgery) and a 6-7 SF playing PF. We already went -10+ on the glass against bigger ACC teams last year, and that was with Rak. This year, we're thinner and less athletic inside. Playing an undersized SF, next to an undersized PF ... is asking for a beatdown on the boards. I don't see it, at least not for long.

Last edited:
I doubt you will see that combo. At least at the beginning of the season. It depends on how well both them are doing. I think we will see these combos for PG and SG in order of most frequent:

1. KJ, TC
2. KJ, MR
3. MG, TC

JB has a pretty strong history of playing the most experience players first followed by who is playing the best at any position. If MR is shooting lights out I can't imagine he's not going to get significant playing time.

You could see Mali and TC up top when G is running the point. G would play the backline on defense.

You could see Mali and TC up top when G is running the point. G would play the backline on defense.

Yep, some seem to forget that G playing PG doesn't mean he will be up top on defense. JB can play it either way.

Yep, some seem to forget that G playing PG doesn't mean he will be up top on defense. JB can play it either way.
G could play the 3 on D, true. Either way, I think we're in for a long year on the boards, unless Lydon gets into the lineup somehow (that was Jeff's "Option 3"). Without him, we'll have a 6'9 C playing opposite two 6'7 guys (TR/G), or opposite a 6'7 guy and a 6'6 guy (TR/MR). Diagne's length might help if he's ready, but he may wind up having to contribute at center, which doesn't make us any bigger. At any rate, given our frontline options, we are no bigger than last year, and are less athletic and less experienced. I'm covering my eyes when there's a missed shot.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._basketball_rebounding_battle_to_virgini.html

Last edited:
I think the main thing and question with Kaleb Joseph is what aspect of his game do you feel comfortable about- competing consistently at the ACC level that he has shown. I hate to admit, but I don't have one for him. Going to require a lot of improvement on his end and that's why the PG position is WIIIIIDEE open this year. A lot more open than some people here believe.

Great thread. I can't help but add my two cents.

First of all I want to say that everybody (including the staff) is guessing on the freshmen right now. Boeheim will be the first to say that you don't really know what you have with any freshman until he starts playing in real games. This is especially true of our freshmen who are all good but not great prospects. The odds say that zero or maybe one of them makes a meaningful contribution, but that "one" could realistically be any of them.

My guess . . . none of the freshmen are ready to make a big impact year one, and Joseph is better than any of the incoming frosh.

I think you see Joseph, Cooney, Gbinije, Roberson all getting major minutes. Hoepfully Coleman can give us big minutes too (if not we are in trouble).

I hope two of Howard, Richardson, Lyden, Diegne, Oboko can give us 10 good minutes a game. I'd be extremely happy with that.

So when looking at which of the freshmen is going to play, I don't look so much at upside, or who can displace our upper classman, I look at who can play 10 solid minutes of D, and not make too many mistakes on O, and also where the need is. Diegne fits a need no doubt, and I wouldn't rule out Howard. Howard is a guy I could see playing more as a freshman and less later on as other competition passes him by.

Best case scenario would be Lyden has a great freshman year and we have a starting line up of Gbinije, Cooney, Lyden, Roberson, Coleman. But given how similar players to Lyden (Southerland, Nichols, Johnson, etc.) looked as freshmen that seems like a fantasy.

I felt the same way by my senior year in college so I'll let him slide on that.

Yeah, it's a pretty funny quote and at least he's being honest about the fact that he couldn't care less about the student part of student-athlete. I mean, his sentiments would be echoed by 98% of the DI college hoops players if they were being honest. And it's really fine -- they're kids.

I will believe it when I see it.

I agree but two further points to make here:

1) It's also not saying that much about any incoming big men to say they have better offensive skills than any big we've brought in in a while. I mean you have to go back to Arinze or Rick Jackson to find a big who produced offensively early in their careers (even Fab's breakout campaign as a soph was <8 ppg) and back to Hak ('01-'02) to find a guy who was good enough to put up offensive numbers in the NBA. So there's that and ...

2) Even the guys who've been solid or better offensive threats in the post for us have been veterans before we really saw that offense. Arinze was a junior before he got to double-figures, Rak and RJ were a seniors. Fab probably would have been there as a junior.

Anyway, bottom line, I agree, I'll believe we got a post player with an ability to contribute legitimately on the offensive end as frosh when I see it.

"...My guess . . . none of the freshmen are ready to make a big impact year one, and Joseph is better than any of the incoming frosh..."

but every once in a while you get an under the radar guy like lawrence moten...

here's hoping!

I really think the team will be better if Kaleb can (effectively) play PG and Mike can play on the wing

I think our best lineup will be

G
Cooney
Malachi
Roberson
Dc2

I agree but two further points to make here:

1) It's also not saying that much about any incoming big men to say they have better offensive skills than any big we've brought in in a while. I mean you have to go back to Arinze or Rick Jackson to find a big who produced offensively early in their careers (even Fab's breakout campaign as a soph was <8 ppg) and back to Hak ('01-'02) to find a guy who was good enough to put up offensive numbers in the NBA. So there's that and ...

2) Even the guys who've been solid or better offensive threats in the post for us have been veterans before we really saw that offense. Arinze was a junior before he got to double-figures, Rak and RJ were a seniors. Fab probably would have been there as a junior.

Anyway, bottom line, I agree, I'll believe we got a post player with an ability to contribute legitimately on the offensive end as frosh when I see it.
Arinze was a sophomore, albeit redshirt, when he first averaged double figures. I think that season was the highest ppg of his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom