Hunter Dickinson | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

Yeah, so, see... I don't care about the fans.

It's better for the player that actually does the work and makes the sacrifices and that matters more.
Just curious. Do you care more about the worker than the customer in any other industry? That's great if you do. In my experience, that would be pretty rare.

Just curious. Do you care more about the worker than the customer in any other industry? That's great if you do. In my experience, that would be pretty rare.
We can open that Pandora's box some other time, comrade.

But for now I'll say that in college athletics I don't think defining the student-athlete as the worker and the fan as the customer is accurate.

Hmmm, the fan isn't the customer? Ok.
I hadn't thought of it much in that context but you are more right than wrong. If not for the fan there would be no NIL. One can argue they are just college students but when they make more money than most people and for only basically 5 months worth of work it is hard to argue. One can argue they aren't on a company role so they aren't an employee. Many other reasons to argue one way or the other, and in the end it doesn't matter. The players are working for more money, whether through the portal or next level. Those opportunities wouldn't exist without the fan at any level.

I didn't say the fan isn't the customer.

I said I don't think it's accurate to describe the relationship between the student-athlete and the fan as worker and customer.
I'm confused. You said the player does the work.

Hmmm, the fan isn't the customer? Ok.

How is a fan a customer(in the traditional sense) of SU bball if the fan doesn't buy anything? I'm an alum and in no way would define myself as a "customer". The closest thing to a customer if so inclined to put it that way is a season ticket holder and to a lesser extent someone who attends a game.

If there has to be a seller/buyer relationship then its not the players you are getting... it's the NCAA sport itself or ACC product if so inclined to be more specific.

How is a fan a customer of SU bball if the fan doesn't buy anything? I'm an alum and in no way would define myself as a "customer". The closest thing to a customer if so inclined to put it that way is a season ticket holder and to a lesser extent someone who attends a game.
How is money generated in sports?

How is money generated in sports?

TV deals, tickets and licensed products along with money allocations for winning/making it into the post season. Which one of those creates the scenario as you are trying to define it?

How is a fan a customer(in the traditional sense) of SU bball if the fan doesn't buy anything? I'm an alum and in no way would define myself as a "customer". The closest thing to a customer if so inclined to put it that way is a season ticket holder and to a lesser extent someone who attends a game.
The fans do buy, whether directly or indirectly. How many have subscriptions to various sites including ESPN and thus conferences make a bookoo amount of money. Most fans may not contribute directly, but most have a hat or shirt they wear. If fans didn't do this there would be no revenue and these oh so lucrative tv contracts would not exist. No one would care to pay a player, because if no one is paying to watch the game from home, who would the donors market too? The best way to view it is as if it is an economy all in itself, which it kind of is. The consumer provides 70% of all spending. Without us, the fans, it would dry up and wither away.

The fans do buy, whether directly or indirectly. How many have subscriptions to various sites including ESPN and thus conferences make a bookoo amount of money. Most fans may not contribute directly, but most have a hat or shirt they wear. If fans didn't do this there would be no revenue and these oh so lucrative tv contracts would not exist. No one would care to pay a player, because if no one is paying to watch the game from home, who would the donors market too? The best way to view it is as if it is an economy all in itself, which it kind of is. The consumer provides 70% of all spending. Without us, the fans, it would dry up and wither away.

The fans support the programs for reasons of their own. The original premise is not the correct dynamic between player and fan though. That was the point. The support and flexibility for the student athlete and the fan that supports the program is not a support one and disregard the other situation at all.

TV deals, tickets and licensed products along with money allocations for winning/making it into the post season. Which one of those creates the scenario as you are trying to define it?
Who buys tickets? Why do TV networks pay for permission to televise games? Why have licensed products?

I wasn't legalized by the NCAA. They didn't want it. A lawsuit led to the govenment forcing it on the NCAA.

True, but they decide who gets penalized and who doesn’t with the individual university implementation and we all know they have their favorites!​

Who buys tickets? Why do TV networks pay for permission to televise games? Why have licensed products?

You have yet to validate your original point... tossing back questions isn't helping the cause...

I wasn't legalized by the NCAA. They didn't want it. A lawsuit led to the govenment forcing it on the NCAA.

No it wasn’t.

No it wasn’t.
This is a good synopsis. https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/06/29/business-of-football-supreme-court-unanimous-ruling
States were legislating NIL. How would NCAA restrictions stand up to legislation? The NCAA was too afraid/inept/I’ll-equipped to try to reign it in.
Kavanaugh hit it on the head. The NCAA model was based on not fairly compensating its workers. Where else would that be legal?
This is a big win for young athletes, many of whom will never be pros. Now they can get a degree and earn money while doing it, like every other college student.
I did see a Syracuse CBA player (long snapper) got a local NIL deal.
I think people’s ire with NIL is miscast: it’s the free transfer that has opened up the bidding wars.

This is a good synopsis. https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/06/29/business-of-football-supreme-court-unanimous-ruling
States were legislating NIL. How would NCAA restrictions stand up to legislation? The NCAA was too afraid/inept/I’ll-equipped to try to reign it in.
Kavanaugh hit it on the head. The NCAA model was based on not fairly compensating its workers. Where else would that be legal?
This is a big win for young athletes, many of whom will never be pros. Now they can get a degree and earn money while doing it, like every other college student.
I did see a Syracuse CBA player (long snapper) got a local NIL deal.
I think people’s ire with NIL is miscast: it’s the free transfer that has opened up the bidding wars.

The Alston decision had nothing to do with NIL. People’s opinions outside that doesn’t make it law. Too many people here, not you, think the Alston decision was about NIL when it was only about education related expenses.

True, but they decide who gets penalized and who doesn’t with the individual university implementation and we all know they have their favorites!​

Victim mentality

Lol​

Chris Jericho ÄEw GIF by All Elite Wrestling on TNT

I think, and I admit this is just my opinion, once NIL was forced on them, they threw up their hands and said have fun. Honest question, have they investigated anyone for anyone NIL related yet? I don't remember seeing it. I'll be surprised if we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom