Hunter Dickinson | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

Well it will eventually fizzle out to where the list of schools with collectives that will pay that much gets smaller and smaller. Then when that money doesn't produce titles or FFs...
I just don't think there's that much difference between a top-flight transfer and the next tier down. Don't get me wrong, these are good players, but IMO, the value added isn't as much as the dollars may indicate. The NBA is still going to get the difference makers and players who can carry a team. The transfer portal allows players who got overlooked in high school the chance to get on a bigger stage. It's helpful for P5 teams to recalibrate and plug holes, but I don't think there's going to be a couple of all-star teams that cruise to the title every season. Teams like UNC keeping their AAAA players like Bacot around and away from the G-league could be where they get the best bang for the buck. Remains to be seen, though.

I just don't think there's that much difference between a top-flight transfer and the next tier down. Don't get me wrong, these are good players, but IMO, the value added isn't as much as the dollars may indicate. The NBA is still going to get the difference makers and players who can carry a team. The transfer portal allows players who got overlooked in high school the chance to get on a bigger stage. It's helpful for P5 teams to recalibrate and plug holes, but I don't think there's going to be a couple of all-star teams that cruise to the title every season. Teams like UNC keeping their AAAA players like Bacot around and away from the G-league could be where they get the best bang for the buck. Remains to be seen, though.

Exactly. I'm not against trying to keep our guys and team together as a strategy paired with Red being able to do better on the recruiting trail with full effort. You then mix in guys via the portal or to plug major holes due to a player or two leaving your team for the portal.

This is the cool thing about the NIL. We now can confirm who has been spending the cash on players all along.
haha well kinda was already obvious that players werent going to kentucky for the cultural ambience...but good point, though

Fans are putting in the work when they trudge through 3 feet of snow with no street parking to watch NIT caliber performances. Was it not manual labor when we paid for season tickets and suffered through 4 years of Gerg, climbing all those steps to the top of 318 to watch public execution after public execution?
That’s on you

You don't turn pro to take a pay cut.
I meant it doesn't do anything for the college game if players are just hopping around every year. College just becomes the equivalent of AAA baseball. And we see how many fans are engaged at the Chiefs games.

A lot of these bigs that dominate in college and are commanding large amounts of money would have been first round picks 20 years ago. Now they are obsolete in the pros.

...Teams like UNC keeping their AAAA players like Bacot around and away from the G-league could be where they get the best bang for the buck. Remains to be seen, though.
That's a good point.
Good players who also want an education may be able to develop their games while they make good money via NIL instead of just jumping to a pro league.
There will be many unintended and unexpected consequences of NIL's but this could be one of the more positive ones.

Last edited:
It’s amazing we have a 25 page thread on a player we have less than 1/10th of 1% chance of getting. I guess following the Dickenson drama is entertaining.
It’s amazing? Off-season basketball, top center in the portal (a position of need), on a fan board. I think it’s more expected than amazing.

My first concert, too. Slippery When Wet tour at the Dome. Skid Row opened. I think I was 14 or 15.
Mine too. I was 6 or 7. I remember skid row dropping mf'ers over and over and my mind was blown

If that’s even remotely accurate it’s going to be fuel for a big time backlash against pay for play in college revenue sports.
I’m hopeful we are already in the backlash period. I know I am.

We aren’t competing with these crazy offers.
Adam or no Adam don’t think we had a shot here. We have to find a way to compete off the court if we want to compete on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom