I am hearing out next coach is ... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I am hearing out next coach is ...

Yeah, can someone name me coaches who are home run hires? That dont have any negatives? also have to be a realistic option. Even Jim Tressel would be a issue. Compliance wouldnt give him a chance with his track record.
Honestly, after Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, who are the "sure thing" guys? And even they both have a couple issues, whether it's personality or otherwise (Saban is notorious for being a smug jerk, for instance).

Yeah, can someone name me coaches who are home run hires? That dont have any negatives? also have to be a realistic option. Even Jim Tressel would be a issue. Compliance wouldnt give him a chance with his track record.

Phil Montgomery

Honestly, after Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, who are the "sure thing" guys? And even they both have a couple issues, whether it's personality or otherwise (Saban is notorious for being a smug jerk, for instance).
Brian Kelly.

Hopefully, there are not many posting here that do not get this concept. There are no sure things.

I would guess that Coyle's thought process will go one of two ways: Which viable hire, regardless of risk, has the greatest potential to be something special? Or: Which hire from the viable list is least likely to do the most "harm" (safest choice)?

Coyle's choice will tell us a lot about his vision for the program and the types of decisions he will likely continue to make going forward.

But I want Ed Oregon. He conquered the West and could be paid in beaver pelts and a log cabin at Skytop. ;)

Just get the search over with already. The suspense is killing me. :eat popcorn:

This from a guy who hasn't seen a beaver pelt since his last time in a labor and delivery ward.

So you guys think home run hires are guys with 6-6 and 7-5 records but not the guy thats 9-3? Gotcha

All new coaches represent risk. We are middle of the pack and hopefully paying that rate= moderate risk.

If you want to root for a team without less risk, try the SEC.

Jagodzinski

So you guys think home run hires are guys with 6-6 and 7-5 records but not the guy thats 9-3? Gotcha

6-6 taking a team that was 5-19 the two years prior.

Babers

I love Babers. He is my #2 choice behind Fleck. Just think Fleck checks more boxes. Has shown he can build up a program. Has an explosive offense, but also plays some defense. But most importantly he has proven he can recruit, and if he is bringing top 35 classes to WMU, I would think he could do the same at Syracuse.

Plus WMU played Michigan St (close), and Ohio St, so I think there is more to it then looking at this years record.

Other then that i'd be almost as thrilled if we got Babers. Just slightly less.

I love Babers. He is my #2 choice behind Fleck. Just think Fleck checks more boxes. Has shown he can build up a program. Has an explosive offense, but also plays some defense. But most importantly he has proven he can recruit, and if he is bringing top 35 classes to WMU, I would think he could do the same at Syracuse.

Plus WMU played Michigan St (close), and Ohio St, so I think there is more to it then looking at this years record.

Other then that i'd be almost as thrilled if we got Babers. Just slightly less.
I met Fleck through recruiting. He's a saleman.Thats why he's a great recruiter. I dont trust saleman's. He still needs to prove to me that he can coach. just 4 years ago he was just a WR coach that can recruit. I read over and over again from Rutgers people that he wasnt one of the better coaches. Thats scares me. I wouldnt be totally upset with his hire because he can surround himself with people that know what they are doing. I rather have a guy that can coach lesser talent players, get results, then recruiting gest better naturally because good players want to play in good systems.

Jeff Brohm.

1905c1290569414900508712ecad9113-micdrop06.gif

Jeff Brohm.

1905c1290569414900508712ecad9113-micdrop06.gif
I really like Brohm. I really do. Weve had issues with QB play for decades. He would immediately fix that problem. I watched the WKU/Marshall game. I really like Brohm's offense. Fast past and multiple with spread and pro concepts.

money3189 said:
I really like Brohm. I really do. Weve had issues with QB play for decades. He would immediately fix that problem. I watched the WKU/Marshall game. I really like Brohm's offense. Fast past and multiple with spread and pro concepts.

I'm surprised his name isn't getting more publicity.

docsu said:
I sincerely hope that "is the guy using us as a stepping stone?" Doesn't factor into ADMCs calculus...like, at all.

Agreed. To quote Sir Mix-a-lot... "Use me, use me, 'cause you ain't no average groupie".

jekelish said:
Agreed. And if it is indeed Frost, I'm fine with him vaulting for Nebraska in a few years. If he's done well enough to get in the door at Nebraska, it means he's winning 8-9 games here. I'm fine with that.

That's where the AD at a school like SU really earns his money. Keep the ship pointed in the right direction if your successful HC choice finds greener pastures.

It can be done. P5 example is Wisconsin. To a lesser degree Pitt (they at least stay bowl bound). G5 examples are Boise and Cincy.

That's where the AD at a school like SU really earns his money. Keep the ship pointed in the right direction if your successful HC choice finds greener pastures.

It can be done. P5 example is Wisconsin. To a lesser degree Pitt (they at least stay bowl bound). G5 examples are Boise and Cincy.

Boise, you say? Interesting! I wonder how they manage it...

I'm surprised his name isn't getting more publicity.
Me too. Lots of experience. He was Olive Garden's right hand man for years so he knows how to run a system and a program.

jekelish said:
Boise, you say? Interesting! I wonder how they manage it...

One of the many reasons I was happy with this AD hire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom