I hate to say it, but | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I hate to say it, but

Battle should be watching this team, with no real point guard coming in and saying where do I sign, lots of bigs to distribute too and potential shooters coming in.

44doubledees said:
Battle should be watching this team, with no real point guard coming in and saying where do I sign, lots of bigs to distribute too and potential shooters coming in.

Unfortunately, Battle isn't a true PG.

Joseph reminds me of Josh Wright. Both are fast, but neither could do much.

I can see G playing the point next year, and if we get Battle I think that is our PG.

I am not as down on Kaleb Joseph as most and can see that he has many strengths and potential, however fast is not something that comes to mind when I think of his strengths. When I watched him play from court level against mid-major competition he wasn't even one of the fastest guys on the court. He has his shortcomings, but he also wasn't expected to play big minutes this season. I have full confidence that he will develop into a quality PG. Will he be able to take over games and carry the team like MCW and Ennis have done recently? Maybe not, but with the talent we have around him and the talent coming into the program in the future, he won't need to carry the team.

Franklin Howard is a PG. He's playing PG in high school and looks very comfortable there from the limited bits I've seen in highlight vids. I don't think he'll see much playing time at all unless G leaves, but we do indeed have a PG coming in in the next class.
No he's not. This has been pretty much acknowledged all year that he is not playing PG but was being recruited to play PG at SU. He's listed at 6'6" so will have soem growign pains at PG even if he was playing it. But he's not. This is from a recent write up from Howard's HS:

Senior Franklin Howard, a Syracuse commit, finished with 15 points, including consecutive baskets that tied the score at 44 and then gave Paul VI the lead for good with under two minutes to go. Junior V.J. King, an Ohio transplant armed with scholarship offers from some of the country’s top programs, had 10 of his 16 points during the comeback. Junior big manCorey Manigault, another promising recruit, also chipped in 15 points. And sophomore point guard Aaron Thompson never looked out of place running the show in a raucous environment.

Thompson by the way was named 2nd team all conference and is being looked at by Syracuse. Howard was 1st team all conference.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Battle isn't a true PG.
I know the recruiting gurus get a lot of things wrong but there is a reason that Howard is listed as a 2G and Battle is listed as a SF. But, there is also a reason that SU is recruiting these guys to play PG (MCW was listed as a 2G also). I guess I prefer PG recruits more like Ennis that are actually PG's. Not just someone with PG skills.

No he's not. This has been pretty much acknowledged all year that he is not playing PG but was being recruited to play PG at SU. He's listed at 6'6" so will have soem growign pains at PG even if he was playing it. But he's not. This is from a recent write up from Howard's HS:

Senior Franklin Howard, a Syracuse commit, finished with 15 points, including consecutive baskets that tied the score at 44 and then gave Paul VI the lead for good with under two minutes to go. Junior V.J. King, an Ohio transplant armed with scholarship offers from some of the country’s top programs, had 10 of his 16 points during the comeback. Junior big manCorey Manigault, another promising recruit, also chipped in 15 points. And sophomore point guard Aaron Thompson never looked out of place running the show in a raucous environment.

Thompson by the way was named 2nd team all conference and is being looked at by Syracuse. Howard was 1st team all conference.

At least one of the two teams (between AAU and high school) plays two guards who aren't necessarily just a PG or just a SG. Howard does play point. He might not have the title and he might not be in the PG role the whole game, but he does play point.

edit: and the above is what I meant with my original post. I didn't do a good job of making that clear. I was trying to emphasize that he's comfortable running offensive sets and is regarded as a strong playmaker for others. He's not a SG that we're trying to shoehorn into the PG spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom