I hope Frank can learn to shoot | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Frank can learn to shoot

What im saying is that there are very few pure shooters and that you can see who they are early. It is the same in many sports. Some kids are naturals at swimming, hitting a ball, etc.. most have to learn. G has gotten better but i would not consider him a shooter. Yes he is good but he isnt a shooter. The coon dog was a shooter but for some reason and i think it has a ton to do with bulking up he has lost it for the most part. Howard has a nice stroke looks solid and he will improve to the point that he needs to be covered but i doubt that he will ever be known as a shooter.

Over the years we have had a few shooters at Syracuse that i have had the pleasure to watch. Pure shooters. Not Pearl, not Sherman, not Bug Williams, not MCW, not Ennis, not many even though these guys all become decent shots they were never "shooters" Jimmy Lee, Sweet D, Leo and his son, Eric D, Melo, James, and of course the greatest of all time Gmac. Actually i think that the best pure shooter. So yes Howard has a chance to elevate his shot to a Sherman level but he will never be confused with a pure shooter. Capiche?
You are a 100 % correct. If it was all about putting the time in I would be on the pga tour. It doesn't work that way. I always gauge a pure shooter by free throw percentage You got it or you don't and practice doesn't change it much.

All I know is howard is a significantly better playmaker than Cooney and by the time he's done here that gap will just be lengthened
Unfortunately for Frank is that he is one dimensional and will probably be over recruited

kcsu said:
You cant learn how to shoot. Everyone who has ever played the game knows who the shooters are by 8th grade. Sure he can get better become maybe get a decent shot but he will never be a shooter if he isnt already.
Where do you come up with this stuff???

What's the one dimension? Ball handling? Passing? Defense? He's a still developing Frosh.

How some people call themselves fans with posts like these. Blah.
two guards graduate and he won't start next year

Frank will be good down the road but he's no Battle. That's just fact. Battle has way more blow by ability and explosiveness. Howard sees the floor well but Battle can pass as well. He doesn't have the limitations Howard has. I realize Battle isn't some Carmelo/Durant type talent either as well. IMO, Battle is going to handle the ball more than anybody and when he slides to the 2 and Frank plays point we'll be really good too.

its always the guys that arent here that are better

two guards graduate and he won't start next year

Probably not, but you never know. One dimensional, over-recruited, etc...yet he's a true-Frosh that JB has seen fit to increase the minutes for since the conference schedule started. No need for all the bashing.

What im saying is that there are very few pure shooters and that you can see who they are early. It is the same in many sports. Some kids are naturals at swimming, hitting a ball, etc.. most have to learn. G has gotten better but i would not consider him a shooter. Yes he is good but he isnt a shooter. The coon dog was a shooter but for some reason and i think it has a ton to do with bulking up he has lost it for the most part. Howard has a nice stroke looks solid and he will improve to the point that he needs to be covered but i doubt that he will ever be known as a shooter.

Over the years we have had a few shooters at Syracuse that i have had the pleasure to watch. Pure shooters. Not Pearl, not Sherman, not Bug Williams, not MCW, not Ennis, not many even though these guys all become decent shots they were never "shooters" Jimmy Lee, Sweet D, Leo and his son, Eric D, Melo, James, and of course the greatest of all time Gmac. Actually i think that the best pure shooter. So yes Howard has a chance to elevate his shot to a Sherman level but he will never be confused with a pure shooter. Capiche?

Jason kidd literally went from a terrible shooter to good shooter exclusively during his time in the NBA

Jason kidd literally went from a terrible shooter to good shooter exclusively during his time in the NBA

Buddy Hield shot 23% on 80 attempts his Frosh year from deep. That's red light city.

Waiters didn't start either. Can't wait for the next post though.
Ok Howard will play the least minutes of the 3 guard rotation next year. Is that better

How about Tony Scott?

Ok Howard will play the least minutes of the 3 guard rotation next year. Is that better

Please stop, pat. You have quite a run of misguided posts in this thread. The horror of Howard getting fewer minutes than two future first round NBA picks (including one player who has NBA lottery-level talent). No one is saying Howard is going to be a superstar but the talent is there for him to be a very good lead guard at SU.

I'm just trying to defend Frank from over-the-top criticism. :) I'm obviously just joking, I have no issue with people critiquing players if they want. I just find it amusing when people that get riled up about TC in whatever thread don't care as much about other players.

I'm not sure what the one-dimension is though. What is it going to be? Passing?

Please stop, pat. You have quite a run of misguided posts in this thread. The horror of Howard getting fewer minutes than two future first round NBA picks (including one player who has NBA lottery-level talent). No one is saying Howard is going to be a superstar but the talent is there for him to be a very good lead guard at SU.
all the Howard guys just seam to be the cooney bashers just turning the table.
Could you imagine if cooney was.265 from the field .067 from 3 and .524 from the line

Could you imagine if cooney was.265 from the field .067 from 3 and .524 from the line

Oh my goodness... Time to sit a few plays out my friend

Okay, I get it. Howard has not been able to hit the broad side of a barn. I think that he will make some strides next year and beyond. Cooney has had 5 years in the program. Cooney has shown he's not the great shooter some believe him to be. FH may never be a great shooter but he has three more years to get better. Guys can improve their stroke.

It's obvious he can give us a ton of quality minutes at the point. He needs to work on his shooting, defense and strength. I've seen a lot of people talk about how Lydon has to hit the weight room; Howard does too.

He did? Kidd became a good shooter? Interesting. You said "42.6 is terrible" in regards to Melo's shooting this year.

Jason Kidd shot over 42.6% just one time in his entire 19 year career(1998-99).

You also bagged on Melo and claimed he "would be lucky to break 40% this year". Well guess what? Jason Kidd shot under 40% 9 times in his career, and they were not all at the beginning.

I fully expect you to ignore this, but it would be cool if you could stop being such a clown about Melo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom