I hope Frank can learn to shoot | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Frank can learn to shoot

He did? Kidd became a good shooter? Interesting. You said "42.6 is terrible" in regards to Melo's shooting this year.

Jason Kidd shot over 42.6% just one time in his entire 19 year career(1998-99).

You also bagged on Melo and claimed he "would be lucky to break 40% this year". Well guess what? Jason Kidd shot under 40% 9 times in his career, and they were not all at the beginning.

I fully expect you to ignore this, but it would be cool if you could stop being such a clown about Melo.

You are some kind of special loser to come onto a completely different thread and mischaracterize facts.

Jason kid entered the league and had no outside shot..it was terrible...he worked on it and low and behold, he improved immensely.

From his age 34, 35, and 36 year old seasons he averaged 41 percent FROM THREE POINT RANGE ON OVER 1000 ATTEMPTS.

You want to play fast and loose with facts having no concept of context or the point im even trying to make.

The purpose of this illustration is to disprove the commenters point that your ability to shoot has been determined by the time you are in 8th grade. That's laughable. Here is a guy who had no outside shot until he was 34 years old and then learned to hit at a very impressive over 40 percent clip.

I wont even mention the fact that comparing a guards fg percentage to a 6'9" forward's is sort of stupid.

Last edited:
You are some kind of special loser to come onto a completely different thread and mischaracterize facts.

Jason kid entered the league and had no outside shot..it was terrible...he worked on it and low and behold, he improved immensely.

From his age 34, 35, and 36 year old seasons he averaged 41 percent FROM THREE POINT RANGE ON OVER 1000 ATTEMPTS.

You want to play fast and loose with facts having no concept of context or the point im even trying to make.

The purpose of this illustration is to disprove the commenters point that your ability to shoot has been determined by the time you are in 8th grade. That's laughable. Here is a guy who had no outside shot until he was 34 years old and then learned to hit at a very impressive over 40 percent clip.

I wont even mention the fact that comparing a guards fg percentage to a 6'9" forward's is sort of stupid.

Playing fast and loose with the facts? Everything I posted was FACT. Kidd's best shooting % came in 1998-99. Kidd's sub 40% seasons were mixed throughout his career...beginning,middle, and end. He had several of them in New Jersey, in the heart of his prime.

Playing "loose with the facts"...LOL! You're the idiot who just called Jason Kidd a good shooter, but have been trashing Carmelo Anthony's shooting all season, and you want to get mad for being called on it? Too bad.

As for "loose with the facts" that would be this "I wont even mention the fact that comparing a guards fg percentage to a 6'9" forward's is sort of stupid." First off, Melo is 6'8. He's always been 6'8. Loose. Second, that guard was a pass first PG who was very selective in the shots he took...and he would've shot BETTER than a go to wing scorer, if he was actually a good shooter. Kidd's shot didn't magically improve when he got old...his role changed and his looks changed. He was no longer the catalyst to his team. He was a guy who very selectively shot wide open 3's.

Last edited:
MCW "couldn't shoot" either -- and Ennis left a lot to be desired as a 3pt shooter.

When Scoop got here he couldn't shoot either, the only think he could do was drive. He turned himself into a respectable shooter by the time he left. I think Howard can do the same.

What's the one dimension? Ball handling? Passing? Defense? He's a still developing Frosh.

How some people call themselves fans with posts like these. Blah.

It is remarkable that the same couple people who get bent out of shape with any criticism of Cooney's production are so quick to write off a freshman with complete certitude.

When Scoop got here he couldn't shoot either, the only think he could do was drive. He turned himself into a respectable shooter by the time he left. I think Howard can do the same.

And Scoop's shot was truly broken. Frank's got a lot more to work with, and no one can draw too many conclusions about someone who's taken so few shots.

Shooting aside, we're going to have a veteran guard playing a ton of minutes off the bench next season. Has anyone (not addressing this to you, Cusefan) ever seen a Boeheim team play before? We're projecting to start two kids who've never played a minute of guard for Syracuse next season. Boeheim is going to be ready to yank Battle and Richardson so fast for defensive lapses. Howard's not likely to start, but he's the only guy with experience (assuming the Joseph experiment ends) and is going to play heavy minutes during the starting guards' many retributive "educational" moments.

And Scoop's shot was truly broken. Frank's got a lot more to work with, and no one can draw too many conclusions about someone who's taken so few shots.

Shooting aside, we're going to have a veteran guard playing a ton of minutes off the bench next season. Has anyone (not addressing this to you, Cusefan) ever seen a Boeheim team play before? We're projecting to start two kids who've never played a minute of guard for Syracuse next season. Boeheim is going to be ready to yank Battle and Richardson so fast for defensive lapses. Howard's not likely to start, but he's the only guy with experience (assuming the Joseph experiment ends) and is going to play heavy minutes during the starting guards' many retributive "educational" moments.

And Scoop didn't start either, and still won the 6th man award for us in the Big East. I think we end up seeing a lot of he and Battle in the backcourt with Mal moving to the three on occasion.

I won't be surprised if Roberson finds himself as the odd man out on a lot of occasions next year if he's still here, because Lydon isn't going to sit the bench next year, that's for sure.

It is remarkable that the same couple people who get bent out of shape with any criticism of Cooney's production are so quick to write off a freshman with complete certitude.

I remember a group of people used to freak out on here if Craig Forth's basketball game was criticized, but they never expressed any problems with posters destroying Deshaun Williams, Billy Edelin, etc. with personal attacks and in some cases would do it themselves.

These are the people who take it personally and get mad if "nice kids" are criticized. They want to make it about who is a "good kid" and who isn't. They fail to realize that the great majority of criticism is not personal whatsoever, it's solely about basketball (a few will always go too far, but most don't).

OttoMets said:

Well there's one or two people saying Howard won't amount to much. Which, as has been correctly pointed out, is pure BS. I can't wait to see him improve over his career.

Now if, for the next three years, he is subject to the same 20+ posters starting threads and turning many threads into a "Howard sucks" thread, then he'll reach the level of TC. And I'm sure at that point, the bashers will complain that they're just being real and honest and that the Howard defenders are somehow the real d****, as opposed to the people ceacelessly bashing him for four years.

Well there's one or two people saying Howard won't amount to much. Which, as has been correctly pointed out, is pure BS. I can't wait to see him improve over his career.

Now if, for the next three years, he is subject to the same 20+ posters starting threads and turning many threads into a "Howard sucks" thread, then he'll reach the level of TC. And I'm sure at that point, the bashers will complain that they're just being real and honest and that the Howard defenders are somehow the real d****, as opposed to the people ceacelessly bashing him for four years.

The problem, and this pissses me off, is some of the people here can't separate the people who truly dislike Cooney from those like me, who simply provide some facts in a reasonably manner but get trashed anyway. No, you're (and this isn't directed at you) not a better person than me, so chill with the "I'm a better person and fan than you" attitude.

GoHamSU said:
The problem, and this pissses me off, is some of the people here can't separate the people who truly dislike Cooney from those like me, who simply provide some facts in a reasonably manner but get trashed anyway. No, you're (and this isn't directed at you) not a better person than me, so chill with the "I'm a better person and fan than you" attitude.

I don't think you're over the top.

But for this thread, I don't think it's necessary to take down one player in order to build up the other.

Playing fast and loose with the facts? Everything I posted was FACT. Kidd's best shooting % came in 1998-99. Kidd's sub 40% seasons were mixed throughout his career...beginning,middle, and end. He had several of them in New Jersey, in the heart of his prime.

Playing "loose with the facts"...LOL! You're the idiot who just called Jason Kidd a good shooter, but have been trashing Carmelo Anthony's shooting all season, and you want to get mad for being called on it? Too bad.

As for "loose with the facts" that would be this "I wont even mention the fact that comparing a guards fg percentage to a 6'9" forward's is sort of stupid." First off, Melo is 6'8. He's always been 6'8. Loose. Second, that guard was a pass first PG who was very selective in the shots he took...and he would've shot BETTER than a go to wing scorer, if he was actually a good shooter. Kidd's shot didn't magically improve when he got old...his role changed and his looks changed. He was no longer the catalyst to his team. He was a guy who very selectively shot wide open 3's.

thats some selection, taking around four a game. if it was so easy to take and make wide open threes, its a wonder everyone doesn't do it.

fact: jason kidd's shot improved while he was in the NBA.
This is not opinion. This is fact.
fact: point of thread..disputing contention that player's shooting skills are set in the 8th grade
mission: accomplished.
troll: trolling.

thats some selection, taking around four a game. if it was so easy to take and make wide open threes, its a wonder everyone doesn't do it.

fact: jason kidd's shot improved while he was in the NBA.
This is not opinion. This is fact.
fact: point of thread..disputing contention that player's shooting skills are set in the 8th grade
mission: accomplished.
troll: trolling.

Fact: Carmelo Anthony is a much better shooter than Jason Kidd ever was.
Troll: You said Kidd is a good shooter, and have done nothing but trash Anthony all season.

I remember a group of people used to freak out on here if Craig Forth's basketball game was criticized, but they never expressed any problems with posters destroying Deshaun Williams, Billy Edelin, etc. with personal attacks and in some cases would do it themselves.

These are the people who take it personally and get mad if "nice kids" are criticized. They want to make it about who is a "good kid" and who isn't. They fail to realize that the great majority of criticism is not personal whatsoever, it's solely about basketball (a few will always go too far, but most don't).
I'm 100% certain it's coincidence that the kids that have people that freak out over criticism are white, and the kids that are more or less fair game are not.

Fact: Carmelo Anthony is a much better shooter than Jason Kidd ever was.
Troll: You said Kidd is a good shooter, and have done nothing but trash Anthony all season.

Kidd was a way better shooter than Melo come on

OttoinGrotto said:
I'm 100% certain it's coincidence that the kids that have people that freak out over criticism are white, and the kids that are more or less fair game are not.

Brandon Triche?

People freak out over criticism of Carmelo.

GoHamSU said:

Pure gold Jerry. Should we share posts that have had to be deleted?

And posting his shooting stats and saying the same thing in multiple threads isn't simply providing facts in a reasonable manner.

In general the team will have a lot of moving parts next season. Guys that can play at least two positions - that should help allow for a nice rotation. Mali can easily move between spots, Battle can slide over to the SG spot, Lydon can move about, etc...

Back to the topic of learning to shoot. While I have no doubt that many of the best shooters separate themselves relatively early, there are certainly GREAT examples of players who learned to be great shooters. Kawhi Leonard and Kyle Lowry are two.

Kawhi shot 25% on 164 attempts in college, came to San Antonio where they tweaked his form and then he shot around 37% for the first few seasons but continually increased his attempts. Now, he's leading the league in 3fg% at 49% and has already eclipsed his highest # of attempted 3s in a season.

Lowry pretty much didn't shoot 3s at Villanova because he couldn't really. He shot 33% on a grand total of 40 attempts over 2 seasons. Then, he went to the NBA and shot around 28% for his first 5-6 years, but really worked on his shot and upped his attempts and % and is now about a 38-40% shooter.

These guys may not be the rule, they're probably the exception, but they definitely learned to shoot, when before they couldn't.

Between this and your Stephen Curry posts, you're either extremely sarcastic, or friggin clueless. I can't tell. If it's the former...well done. If not...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kiddja01.html

The Curry post was mocking the idiots who think he needs to play at a level no one has ever played at for like 10 years.

And I guess Kidd really did suck at the beginning of his career. So I'll modify it to Kidd at his best shooting is better than Melo at his best but I admit it's closer than I thought.

Pure gold Jerry. Should we share posts that have had to be deleted?

And posting his shooting stats and saying the same thing in multiple threads isn't simply providing facts in a reasonable manner.

A reasonable manner huh? Lol.

Talk about pure gold.

The Curry post was mocking the idiots who think he needs to play at a level no one has ever played at for like 10 years.

And I guess Kidd really did suck at the beginning of his career. So I'll modify it to Kidd at his best shooting is better than Melo at his best but I admit it's closer than I thought.
Hey brother, melo couldn't care less what's written in this forum, I don't know why his name keeps popping up in negatives. we have one nc and wouldn't have it w/o him. period. the man is doing good things, why do you and some others want to lesson his career? It's his life, we have no say in what he does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom