I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone pays taxes. Do you discount your salary for taxes when telling someone your income?

I also have no idea where your coming up with contract numbers. They aren't based on the 22nd pick in the draft.
I'm seeing low to mid 1 millions a year for the first 2 years and 3rd year is not guaranteed .

Of course, I just think its funny that I took a beating from people in here because I didn't believe in these "promises".
hey I generally have agreed with your premise, and in my personal opinion he should have waited until next year, but... he stated that all he was after was a first-round guarantee, and he apparently got it, and he went in the first round...
so there is no way now anyone can say it was a bad decision to stay in the draft

hey I generally have agreed with your premise, and in my personal opinion he should have waited until next year, but... he stated that all he was after was a first-round guarantee, and he apparently got it, and he went in the first round...
so there is no way now anyone can say it was a bad decision to stay in the draft
pearl31, you ignorant slut...

LOL -- people literally seem salty that Malachi clearly made the RIGHT decision. He is a first round draft pick, will basically be a millionaire and realized his dream to be in the NBA. Next year's draft will be loaded and he wasn't guaranteed to go any higher than he went now.

He's literally a thousandaire.
OwE0Q_s-200x150.gif

did you guys not see him??

he was in near tears.

he realized he screwed up.

whatever $$ he makes in next 3 years...he will likely blow through.

now we will see if he is strong enough to handle the D league and/or no time and can fight for a 2nd contract.

the NBA draft is now a joke for Americans.

unless you are top 5, maybe top 10...stay in school.

otherwise theyd rather have a vet in his 3rd or 4th year than you...or a euro theyve never seen.

id stay for college glory.

and the same amount of $$ id get later...

unless...

i had real talent that couldnt be improved upon in college better...than it could by sitting on an NBA bench, or in a HS gym in the northern cali D league.

and those guys are rare.

did you guys not see him??

he was in near tears.

he realized he screwed up.

whatever $$ he makes in next 3 years...he will likely blow through.

now we will see if he is strong enough to handle the D league and/or no time and can fight for a 2nd contract.

the NBA draft is now a joke for Americans.

unless you are top 5, maybe top 10...stay in school.

otherwise theyd rather have a vet in his 3rd or 4th year than you...or a euro theyve never seen.

id stay for college glory.

and the same amount of $$ id get later...

unless...

i had real talent that couldnt be improved upon in college better...than it could by sitting on an NBA bench, or in a HS gym in the northern cali D league.

and those guys are rare.
The other part is that instead of being a college all american on the cover of magazines and featured on the highlight shows he is joining a team with 2 of the surliest team "superstars" in the league and is in the no mans land of Sacramento. Hey who knew Caron Butler, Kosta Koufas and Rudy Gay were still in the league? At least his head coach just got fired by Memphis (OK...cheap shot since the guy did win 50 games and go to the playoffs 3 straight years).

LOL -- people literally seem salty that Malachi clearly made the RIGHT decision. He is a first round draft pick, will basically be a millionaire and realized his dream to be in the NBA. Next year's draft will be loaded and he wasn't guaranteed to go any higher than he went now.

I mean we have people here suggesting his 1st round promise didn't mean anything...WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE 1st ROUND.

It's not even worth the debate.

Clown thread bro.

Mali wrote his own ticket. He's now officially an NBA player and got his picture with the Commish on the stage. He has every opportunity to work on his game and make himself successful. Your post is selfish, uneducated and stupid. Its very hard for me to believe that somebody who made a decison that put 7 figures in his bank account thinks its a bad one. Go chill in your man cave while Mali continues to work his ass off on his game. Loser.

I mean we have people here suggesting his 1st round promise didn't mean anything...WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE 1st ROUND.

It's not even worth the debate.

But the team that drafted him, he didn't even work out for. If his goal is just to be a first round pick, and nothing more, than yes he accomplished that.

cusetown1 said:
More like low 2's with the 3rd year being optional . Which is literally in the thousands after taxes. But if he gets that extension it was a damn good decision. He has to prove himself for the big contract .

Exactly. People forget about taxes. And CA is not one of the states you want to be in.

44cuse

I think he made the right decision, but he wasn't picked in the teens and I believe based on nothing that he was nervous once the Hawks passed. Sac didn't even work him out, right? He may have been pretty close to falling out of the 1st after the Bulls, Hawks, and Memphis passed on him. Really surprised the Hawks didn't take him at 21.

They all see these guys and have an understanding, so I'm sure he would have been picked even if Sac didn't but he realistically could have fell out of the 1st.

None of that matters. I was never mad at him, and glad he's started the first step of his dream. Just these people in player's ears are hurting too many of them. Though, if you're in it for that guaranteed money only, then you're not gonna make it long-term anyway. He will work hard, and carve out a long career, IMO. Wish he went pretty much anywhere but the Kings though. Top 3 worst landing spot, if not the worst.

Exactly. People forget about taxes. And CA is not one of the states you want to be in.

44cuse

He'll pay roughly $400-500K in taxes each year unless he puts a boatload of money into tax deferred investments. After he buys a $300K house for himself and his parents, the first years money will be gone. He left a million a year on the table by going this year. We'll see if it's worth it in the long run...

He'll pay roughly $400-500K in taxes each year unless he puts a boatload of money into tax deferred investments. After he buys a $300K house for himself and his parents, the first years money will be gone. He left a million a year on the table by going this year. We'll see if it's worth it in the long run...
Or if he returned and didn't appreciably improve his draft stock, he left nothing on the table.

And if he returned and his performance somehow exposed elements of his game, or if he returned and suffered some delibilitating injury, well...

300 k for a house? i dont think so

Briancuse said:
Of course, I just think its funny that I took a beating from people in here because I didn't believe in these "promises".

How many other kids got "promises" and it worked out last night?

FairfaxOrange said:

It's these kind of posts that drive me nuts.

1. What he does with his money is none of our business. None.

2. Lots of these guys don't buy houses right away for themselves. They buy a car and rent near the practice facility.

3. There is no way for you to know he left $ on the table.

Hopefully, he'll get some good advice from his SU brothers that have been in similar situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom