I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now

Status
Not open for further replies.
that look was not joy. I bet anything he was promised to be in the lottery. Did you see some of those kids that went ahead of him. One guy hasn't played that much in two years. It may have been a good choice to go and I would have taken the money also but this kid was only going to improve. One more year he would have made life a lot easier. Had three years guaranteed and also would have had another year getting bigger. Now it's up to him. He has to get some breaks and get a second contract. After that he's set. The second contract is the important but one.
So he was crying out of sadness? That makes no sense. I'm sure there was a whole lot of relief but people need to stop pretending to know what is running through a person's mind via facial expressions.

And there's no guarantee MR would have improved his draft stock if he had stayed another year. He's a streaky player - maybe those last three games were the best he will ever play. Maybe his stats would have suffered with Battle's arrival, Lydon's improvement and/or poor PG play. Who knows?

I don't have it handy but isn't the cash situation much better after this coming season in the NBA including for kids getting drafted.

Seems another year on a top 15 team, all ACC stuff and a higher pick would yield a lot more money.

Kid just needs that second contract.

$2,944,440. Guaranteed for the first two years.
(391,610.52). The California Tax Rate for over $1M is 13.3% or for the first two years.
(1,165,998.24). The Fed Tax will be 39.6%
0. Agent Commission on Rookie Contracts (-0- on contract / 20% on endorsements)

$1,386,861.24 He IS a millionaire.

*this assumes -0- endorsement money.
** this assumes that he is taking Zero deductions like (401K, IRA, Residential Mortgage Interest and Taxes, Dependent Care, etc.). These deductions will just decrease his tax liability and increase his take home income.
*** other taxes like Social Security are not included, but they are capped at $100K so they are nominal.

Congrats MR and thanks for taking us to the Final Four.

(2 edits)

Last edited:
I don't have it handy but isn't the cash situation much better after this coming season in the NBA including for kids getting drafted.

Seems another year on a top 15 team, all ACC stuff and a higher pick would yield a lot more money.

There's more money for free agents with the cap rising, but the rookie contracts actually don't increase.

Just all seems like Green redux to me.

Maybe Donte's apartment is available?

He will earn 2,944,440 guaranteed for the first two years. The California Tax Rate for over $1M is 13.3% or $391,610.52 for the first two years. The Fed Tax will be 39.6% or $1,165,998.24. This leaves him with $1,386,831.24. He IS a millionaire.

*this assumes -0- endorsement money.
** this assumes that he is taking Zero deductions like (401K, IRA, Residential Mortgage Interest and Taxes, Dependent Care, etc.). These deductions will just decrease his tax liability and increase his take home income.
*** other taxes like Social Security are not included, but they are capped at $100K so they are nominal.

Congrats MR and thanks for taking us to the Final Four.
So his agent works for free?

OK -so his agent gets 10%, right? If its 10% of the gross contracts, then he's still a millionaire.
Actually the Forbes article states agents' for rookies take their endorsements

Last edited:
he was not overcome with emotion, he looked like he just found out his unit was being sent to the front and he was on point.

he barely hugged his mom, who also wasn't overcome with joy...and his whole table also seemed a little sticker shocked.

that French dude who sat there and cried...he was overcome.

G, he was super excited.

Mal had a look of ...oh shlit, what I do??

Last edited:
Or (c): He was overcome with emotion because his life-long dream of becoming an NBA player just came true.

(Hint: (c) is the correct answer)
I'm no mind - reader but the way he looked and his "everything happens for a reason" statement when asked if he thought he made the right decision screams disappointment.

Or if he returned and didn't appreciably improve his draft stock, he left nothing on the table.

And if he returned and his performance somehow exposed elements of his game, or if he returned and suffered some delibilitating injury, well...

Look I understand the perspective of take the money now because the future is uncertain. I'm just pointing out that if he came back and was a lottery pick, he stood to earn far more. That's all.

Look I understand the perspective of take the money now because the future is uncertain. I'm just pointing out that if he came back and was a lottery pick, he stood to earn far more. That's all.
Where would McCullough have gone in this draft?

Where would McCullough have gone in this draft?
well, he has more talent than Mal...and the kid with 2 broken feet went before him, so with a nice jan-april burn behind him...maybe top 10??

on the edit, I guess he came back in feb...so top 15?

I live across the street from a NY Jet whose salary is between $3 and $4mil. He rents the house. In fact, we've had 3 other Jets live in the neighborhood over the past 6 years and they've all rented. It makes sense for these guys to rent because they move around frequently and a lot of them actually go somewhere else for their offseason training.
So maybe Mali will rent a place and save some of his money.

Rent in/near a big city - $3-5k a month.
Mortgage payment $3-5k a month.

You don't have to buy a house for cash, just because you can.
And with today's insanely low mortgage rates, owning probably makes more sense.
Assuming you're going to be living in the same place for a few years.

Here's wishing Mali tons of success, and congratulating him on becoming a millionaire.

I found Mali a home he can rent. With a little negotiating, I think we can get it down to $5,000 a month. Best thing is that there is a bonus room where I can crash when I'm in town.

ISx39dugnof9ga1000000000.jpg

It is amazing that people are painting this as a negative. Mali is allowed to feel disappointed at that moment, because he had been hoping and hearing he might go higher. But, the fact is, he is a first round pick with a guaranteed contract. The young man is talented and skilled. I hope he focuses on two things. His game, obviously. And his image. He needs to do a little damage control after pouting last night a bit. But he has a huge smile and a great personality and look, he needs to make himself marketable. He wanted to be a professional, it is time to treat basketball as his profession. I am sure he will, and although Sacramento is not a great franchise, he can still move forward and get to the all important second contract.

This is a fallacy. It doesn't work like that. People like to post this nonsense as some kind of justification, but it just doesn't happen nearly as often as people think it does. Occasionally? Sure and usually with some extenuating circumstances (e.g., Dunn and his injuries). Generally, if a player isn't good enough to get drafted in the first round as a frosh, they're not going to get drafted in the lottery the next year just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom