I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid it's only starting. Worse, he seems to have lots of company.
I hope he does well and makes lots of money . IMO pure business standpoint I don't think he made the greatest decision . But the more I think about it if he's going 22 in a "weak draft" where would he have been drafted next year in a deep draft? So it may end up being a brilliant decision .

The projected salary numbers are in Forbes today based upon current collective bargaining agreement and it's got Mali at 3 million for 2 years with a more likely 7 million over 4 years. That's with 0 endorsement/appearance money.

The projected salary numbers are in Forbes today based upon current collective bargaining agreement and it's got Mali at 3 million for 2 years with a more likely 7 million over 4 years. That's with 0 endorsement/appearance money.
I think he made a good decision. When you have a chance to make over 1 million dollars a year, you jump at it. Who knows how long his career will be or how many more chances he will have to earn that kind of money?

Best of luck to him and Silent G in the NBA. I hope they invest their money wisely.

Who said he is going to buy a house, its the NBA he could be traded or really anything could happen. The kid is living his dreams, yes money is important, but a kid like that just wants to get to the league and he is there.
Smart move is probably to share an apartment with another player on the team. If his family comes to live with him though, maybe a house is a good idea.

jr4750 said:
In Northern CA too, try 1.1 mil easy. I'm not a fan of the taxes argument. We all pay taxes, stupid reason to use against him going pro. He's making plenty of money to live well. Happy for Mali, hope he's a huge success.
I live across the street from a NY Jet whose salary is between $3 and $4mil. He rents the house. In fact, we've had 3 other Jets live in the neighborhood over the past 6 years and they've all rented. It makes sense for these guys to rent because they move around frequently and a lot of them actually go somewhere else for their offseason training.
So maybe Mali will rent a place and save some of his money.

Malachi is a good young man that made a strong showing at SU and impressed enough people to be selected one of the top 22 young players of 2016, including a number of players from around the world. He's making good money to start and has every right to be optimistic for the future. I'm not quite sure where there's room to criticize him right now. Celebrate how well Malachi & Gbinije did in the draft and be proud of a good group of players that took us to a final four. Cooney will find a good place for himself as well. Tis an orange day...

This may or may not work out for him financially but when his name was called, he looked like his dog just died. Might be as simple as he was hoping to stay on the east coast. Or maybe he really was disappointed in his draft position.

This may or may not work out for him financially but when his name was called, he looked like his dog just died. Might be as simple as he was hoping to stay on the east coast. Or maybe he really was disappointed in his draft position.
Or (c): He was overcome with emotion because his life-long dream of becoming an NBA player just came true.

(Hint: (c) is the correct answer)

Everyone who is paid to talk about it says next year the draft will be deeper and better. Even improving Mal still may have been picked lower or in the same area.

That said I agree with the posters who think his face showed relief rather than joy. He seems like a savvy kid who knew that he was close to slipping out of guaranteed cash which I'm sure was not a concern 2 hours earlier.

He's got guaranteed cash, a bad team with a chance to get some burn. Go win the extension.

Or (c): He was overcome with emotion because his life-long dream of becoming an NBA player just came true.

(Hint: (c) is the correct answer)
that look was not joy. I bet anything he was promised to be in the lottery. Did you see some of those kids that went ahead of him. One guy hasn't played that much in two years. It may have been a good choice to go and I would have taken the money also but this kid was only going to improve. One more year he would have made life a lot easier. Had three years guaranteed and also would have had another year getting bigger. Now it's up to him. He has to get some breaks and get a second contract. After that he's set. The second contract is the important but one.

I remember right after last years draft that this one was going to be LOADED. Then the college season came and went and the draft was weak. And I remember that the year before.

Next years draft is always LOADED, because people assume that the majority of the top tier incoming recruits actually translate to NBA talent.

that look was not joy. I bet anything he was promised to be in the lottery. Did you see some of those kids that went ahead of him. One guy hasn't played that much in two years. It may have been a good choice to go and I would have taken the money also but this kid was only going to improve. One more year he would have made life a lot easier. Had three years guaranteed and also would have had another year getting bigger. Now it's up to him. He has to get some breaks and get a second contract. After that he's set. The second contract is the important but one.
Actually, the first contract is the important one because there's no second contract without it. IMO, Mali played this well, under the conditions that exist in 2016.

Last edited:
LOL -- people literally seem salty that Malachi clearly made the RIGHT decision. He is a first round draft pick, will basically be a millionaire and realized his dream to be in the NBA. Next year's draft will be loaded and he wasn't guaranteed to go any higher than he went now.

Nobody is salty that I read. Stop with the over sensitive "You better than say it was bad decision" BS. Who's being salty?

Obviously, since he was picked first round it was a "good" decision. We would be saying the opposite if he was not drafted at all.

Actually, the first contract is the important one because there's no second contract without it. IMO, Mali played this well, under the conditions exist in 2016.
Yes the first one is important. But rookie contracts aren't life changing money. Especially if you're living in California. The second one with a few endorsements and he's set up if he's smart with his money.

I think he made the right decision to enter the draft. He did not look very pleased when his name was called so I think some promise fell through. But a week from now he will be all smiles. In terms of the money he got, I'm sure it's enough. No matter where he ended up there is no guarantee he will succeed in the NBA. He still has to work his butt off.

I think it was good decision. I think Malachi has been a huge plus for Orange basketball. I just can't make any criticisms of the kid at this point. He gave us a Final Four. I'm just thankful for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom