I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players.

Hes 72 big deal that isnt old. No reason he cant get to a few games. Hell he travels to all of our games. Makes zero sense.

It's old. It just is and it's actually very old for the job he does if he were to do it with the pace and vigor that truly elite head coaches do.

I don’t really follow basketball recruiting like I used to so I don’t know if he does or not. But on the surface it seems like it’d be very hard to do during his own season, and they AAU events are one stop shopping.

He goes to AAU events sparingly. You're right about one-stop shopping but I don't think it is enough face time from the head coach when Cal, Don Pitino, Self, etc are all out there.

I don’t think recruiting has deteriorated. Sure, there were a couple of misses and of course the sanctions but since 2013 this is pretty good, even for Syracuse standards.

Tyler Ennis – 5 star left early
Chris McCollough – 5 star left early
Malachi Richardson – McDonalds AA left early
Tyler Lydon
Tyus Battle
Taurean Thomspon (I think he’s proving he’s going to be a very good player)

The early departures have killed us. imo, Syracuse is generally a system program and not really plug and play. The youth is tough to overcome right now.
How about PG depth and post offense bigs?
We haven't recruited a post big since Rak in 2012.
We are on our 4th PG in 4 years.
He never recruited a SG who could challenge Trevor Cooney for minutes.
Our recruiting hasn't been up to par.
I mean of course Malachi and Lydon were studs. So we have good ones but not enough to offset all the misses.
I honestly think something is wrong with player development. As our players staying 4 years since CJ Fair we have recruited haven't developed.
Mike Gbinije thank goodness he transferred in.

jim-boeheim-asleepjpg-8aa34069cbbf8b69.jpg

He has been at games.
Our recruiting has deteriorated though.
We have had 1 year of post offense since Rick Jackson graduated in 2011.
Rak in 2014.
We have an easy offense to defend. We are a terrible rebounding team.
It is frustrating watching.
However we do have 2 Final Fours in the last 4 years. Which do matter.

Was that the AAU tourney he went to see Lydon play at? I know he was there because the assistant HC at St. Mike's was there and told me JB was there.

I mean of course Malachi and Lydon were studs. So we have good ones but not enough to offset all the misses.
I honestly think something is wrong with player development. As our players staying 4 years since CJ Fair we have recruited haven't developed.

T. Bryant
Diagne

I guess you meant landed, but both of these were extenuating circumstances or they'd be here.

T. Bryant
Diagne

I guess you meant landed, but both of these were extenuating circumstances or they'd be here.
I meant recruited on to the team.
We should have gotten Diagne even though I Haven't seen him play. So I have no idea how good he was.

Bryant didn't want to come here for
some reason.

Our bigs need to be able to score with their back to the basket or be a BMK type defender.

Pretty sure the team was just as happy for JB when he got his 800th, 900th, etc. The video and photos all prove that.

The problem with recruiting isn't that JB isn't all warm and fuzzy. It's the effort being put in, and that's where his age and possibly the sanctions come into play.

These kids want to have a shot at getting to the league and playing for a coach they respect and they like.
Pretty sure kids have gotten to the pros from SU as much as any program not named Duke, Kentucky, UNC...And I've never really heard any player that didn't have respect for JB and that shows with how many come back to games years after playing for him, even if it was for one season.

From all reports and indications from insiders, our coaches aren't going the extra mile for recruits. They aren't even going the first mile for many. I've read so many times on the recruiting board that our coaches aren't even looking at certain prospects in our area or have sent GMac or Red while other schools have sent the entire staff to watch kids. That's where we're falling behind.

When you are hindered by scholarship limits from the NCAA, it is difficult to recruit depth. It was just a couple of years ago that the limit was 10. And that was suppose to last a few years. SU never could stockpile AA's like some programs, so adding limits hurt even more. So when there is only 1 2nd tier player on the roster and he is unable to step in, it gets magnified. Coleman was suppose to be the "post offence" McD's AA, top center recruit. McCollough was to.

JBs teams have rarely had any O run through the post. Arinze imo was the best post man at Syracuse in maybe forever. But how many bigs are there that are any good? I don't see many. We've brought in tall kids and they weren't developed. So maybe player development is an issue. I thought Chukwu would be a decent player. We don't need post players to score. They need to play D, grab rebounds and be capable of one dripple and put the bunnies into the basket.

Jermai Grant left early too and DeJuan was a McD's AA; can't predict health. But the misses were Kaleb (who was forecasted to be running the team right now), Ron Patterson, BJ and the center from Rochester. After that everyone has left early to the pro's.

Moyer is redshirting.

2012/2013
DeJuan Coleman
Jeremi Grant

2013/2014

Tyler Roberson
Ron Patteson
Bj Johnson
Chinonso Obokoh
Tyler Ennis

2014/2015
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCullough

2015/2016
Moustaphe Diagne
Frank Howard
Malachi Richardson
Tyler Lydon

2016/2017
Taurean Thompson
Tyus Battle
Matt Moyer

He didn't get lazy, he's just OLD. It happens, instead of retiring he has hand crafted his position to cater to his old age and has assistants do all the leg work / heavy lifting, all who are former players and very loyal to JB, but they are doing a lot of his job but don't have the authority, power or cache of HC. How many conversations can assistants have with an athlete where they say, I will have to check with the HC and get back to you? It's not fair to anybody really.

Not saying JB doesn't have the right to do this but it's not best for the program, especially the short term. It also forces a guy like HOP into a tough situation, you are almost the HC but you aren't ---constantly getting your wings clipped.

It's time but probably one more year of this crap
when you have an all-time great coach, you have to go through a few years of this stuff. it's part of the deal, we just need to live with it. beats the alternative. it could be a lot worse, some coaches hit the wall a lot harder

when you have an all-time great coach, you have to go through a few years of this stuff. it's part of the deal, we just need to live with it. beats the alternative. it could be a lot worse, some coaches hit the wall a lot harder

I agree with you and like I said people who think his age has nothing to do with this are just burying their head in the sand. AGE has everything to do with it from so many angles. I haven't met to many 72 year old people who are open to new ideas and still attacking their jobs with the same energy like they were from age say 40-60.

It's the circle of life. Shoot me if I am still working my job at 72 and telling people I'm still young and haven't missed a beat..

2012/2013
DeJuan Coleman
Jeremi Grant

2013/2014

Tyler Roberson
Ron Patteson
Bj Johnson
Chinonso Obokoh
Tyler Ennis

2014/2015
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCullough

2015/2016
Moustaphe Diagne
Frank Howard
Malachi Richardson
Tyler Lydon

2016/2017
Taurean Thompson
Tyus Battle
Matt Moyer
We have a team with zero Juniors and one natural Senior.
We are coming off a Final Four and have zero
PG commits.
Something is wrong with all this.

2012/2013
DeJuan Coleman
Jeremi Grant

2013/2014

Tyler Roberson
Ron Patteson
Bj Johnson
Chinonso Obokoh
Tyler Ennis

2014/2015
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCullough

2015/2016
Moustaphe Diagne
Frank Howard
Malachi Richardson
Tyler Lydon

2016/2017
Taurean Thompson
Tyus Battle
Matt Moyer

See? JB totally sucks at recruiting of late. :rolleyes:

PG commits.
Every year since 2012/2013 we have had a player in a class that left early. our recruiting has been hurt by the sanctions more than anything. Only two coaches on the road at any one time is just death. Not to mention the loss of ships. We have actually done better than we should have when you consider the number of kids that we had that left earlier than we thought they would. The goal of the sanctions is to cripple a program. It has really hurt ours. The final four was a shot in the gut of the NCAA

Every year since 2012/2013 we have had a player in a class that left early. our recruiting has been hurt by the sanctions more than anything. Only two coaches on the road at any one time is just death. Not to mention the loss of ships. We have actually done better than we should have when you consider the number of kids that we had that left earlier than we thought they would.

You, with the facts, reason and logic - there's no place for that here! ;)

JBs teams have rarely had any O run through the post. Arinze imo was the best post man at Syracuse in maybe forever. But how many bigs are there that are any good? I don't see many. We've brought in tall kids and they weren't developed. So maybe player development is an issue. I thought Chukwu would be a decent player. We don't need post players to score. They need to play D, grab rebounds and be capable of one dripple and put the bunnies into the basket.

Jermai Grant left early too and DeJuan was a McD's AA; can't predict health. But the misses were Kaleb (who was forecasted to be running the team right now), Ron Patterson, BJ and the center from Rochester. After that everyone has left early to the pro's.

Moyer is redshirting.

I'm not sure its even fair to call BJ and Obokoh misses.

If not for the sanctions I think BJ would be here starting at small forward and probably playing pretty well.

Obokoh was a reach. We take those guys at pf/c all of the time. Historically we have a list of these guys that is much longer than the list of guys that have worked out at the position. (Obokoh, Dashonte Riley, Sean Williams, Brennan-McBride, Matt Gorman, Greg Davis, Billy Celuck, Ethan Cole). Some work out (Keita, McNeil, Ovcina, Reafsnyder). Obviously I'm not including guys that came in reasonably polished and able to contribute.

If you aren't a selector school, it's the way recruiting that position works. You can't teach height, there are fewer 6-10 plus guys available, so you stretch and take guys to see if they will develop. I think these guys are also more difficult to project because of how awkward most 6-10 to 7-0 guys are until they get used to their size (if they get used to it).

You, with the facts, reason and logic - there's no place for that here! ;)
Who is saying there is no place for logic or reason?
I disagree with Dasher but I respect his opinion.
I put more blame for our current on the coaches than he does.

Every year since 2012/2013 we have had a player in a class that left early. our recruiting has been hurt by the sanctions more than anything. Only two coaches on the road at any one time is just death. Not to mention the loss of ships. We have actually done better than we should have when you consider the number of kids that we had that left earlier than we thought they would. The goal of the sanctions is to cripple a program. It has really hurt ours. The final four was a shot in the gut of the NCAA
Yes on all of the above but it has to be the players leaving early for the NBA that hurts the most. You can't really plan or react to it. Lack of schollies no doubt hurts your depth but to lose a high major talent to the NBA is painful.

I agree with you and like I said people who think his age has nothing to do with this are just burying their head in the sand. AGE has everything to do with it from so many angles. I haven't met to many 72 year old people who are open to new ideas and still attacking their jobs with the same energy like they were from age say 40-60.

It's the circle of life. Shoot me if I am still working my job at 72 and telling people I'm still young and haven't missed a beat..
too bad there's not boards of directors for these giant businesses. JB doesn't want to just do nothing all of a sudden, he'd add value from an advisory standpoint for twenty more years.

That's only a part of it, though.

Since we've only been able to have 2 coaches out at a time, why is it GMAC and Red instead of Hop and Red? Where is JB?

Every top program loses kids early. Instead of replacing them, all we hear about is how Tyler Ennis left early 3 years ago and destroyed the program. Instead of actively going out and filling our holes and going after multiple kids, our program put all their eggs in the Kaleb Joseph basket and haven't brought in a PG since (FH is not a PG, IMO), and then put all our eggs in the Quade Green basket. You can't blame that on kids leaving early multiple years ago. That's just bad roster building.

I think the lost scholarships hasn't been a huge deal. Maybe it squeezed us out of Huerter, but other than that, we haven't filled our allotment as it is.

Other than last March, this program has been entrenched in the bottom half (third?) of the ACC for 3 years now. Can't blame the sanctions and Tyler Ennis for that.

PG commits.

There are no juniors or seniors because they went pro.

Zero PG commits because of sanctions preventing us from over recruiting and Kaleb/Howard were supposed to be the stop gap while we went all in on Quade and lost.

I'm not sure its even fair to call BJ and Obokoh misses.

If not for the sanctions I think BJ would be here starting at small forward and probably playing pretty well.

Obokoh was a reach. We take those guys at pf/c all of the time. Historically we have a list of these guys that is much longer than the list of guys that have worked out at the position. (Obokoh, Dashonte Riley, Sean Williams, Brennan-McBride, Matt Gorman, Greg Davis, Billy Celuck, Ethan Cole). Some work out (Keita, McNeil, Ovcina, Reafsnyder). Obviously I'm not including guys that came in reasonably polished and able to contribute.

If you aren't a selector school, it's the way recruiting that position works. You can't teach height, there are fewer 6-10 plus guys available, so you stretch and take guys to see if they will develop. I think these guys are also more difficult to project because of how awkward most 6-10 to 7-0 guys are until they get used to their size (if they get used to it).

agreed. Center's to me are like Offensive Lineman. There are only so many quality bigs and everybody wants one. You bring in as many as you can, even reaches, and hope you hit 777's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom