If we end up in the NIT... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we end up in the NIT...

I believe we will be either the last team in or the last team out.
if we even get in, its a Dayton game, which isn't really even being all the way in. and if you lose, it's like you weren't there at all. you're like the kid who dropped out first month of freshman year: "hey, remember that guy?" "no, not really."

Agreed, I think our run last year would have helped us had we been on the bubble say a few years later but to be right back there the next year the committee is not likely to give us the benefit of doubt two years straight.

What is this benefit of doubt stuff? Wouldn't we be more likely to get in since we made the FF? I don't understand why people think there's bias involved. You're either in or you're not. We weren't even on the bubble like we thought we were last year. The committee had us as a 10 seed and we had been locked in for a week.

if we even get in, its a Dayton game, which isn't really even being all the way in. and if you lose, it's like you weren't there at all. you're like the kid who dropped out first month of freshman year: "hey, remember that guy?" "no, not really."

I believe VCU made the FF after starting in Dayton.

And if we win, we'd have some confidence we can win away from home.

What is this benefit of doubt stuff? Wouldn't we be more likely to get in since we made the FF? I don't understand why people think there's bias involved. You're either in or you're not. We weren't even on the bubble like we thought we were last year. The committee had us as a 10 seed and we had been locked in for a week.

Because there was big push back in the media and popular culture about SU getting in with that seed last year. While we feel that our seed was justified based on the numbers the people on the committee may feel we got a break last year and this year were SOL.

Because there was big push back in the media and popular culture about SU getting in with that seed last year. While we feel that our seed was justified based on the numbers the people on the committee may feel we got a break last year and this year were SOL.

Last year has exactly nothing to do with this year.

Example:
Monmouth isn't getting in this year as a make-up call because they got screwed (supposedly) last year, nor are we NOT getting in because they (supposedly) did us a solid last year.
There's no carryover from season to season, period.

We're NOT getting in this year, because we don't deserve to, and other teams have slightly less ugly blemishes on their resumes than ours.
Or we ARE getting in, but only because we did juuuuuuust enough - THIS YEAR - to deserve to be included.

Yeah I mean if the committee changed their mind based on what happened the year before Seth Greenberg would still be coaching at VPI.

Last year has exactly nothing to do with this year.

Example:
Monmouth isn't getting in this year as a make-up call because they got screwed (supposedly) last year, nor are we NOT getting in because they (supposedly) did us a solid last year.
There's no carryover from season to season, period.

We're NOT getting in this year, because we don't deserve to, and other teams have slightly less ugly blemishes on their resumes than ours.
Or we ARE getting in, but only because we did juuuuuuust enough - THIS YEAR - to deserve to be included.

Hey your entitled to your opinion but I disagree last year has nothing to do with this season. There is a human element involved so forces outside of our resume have the potential to play a role. Heck last year could actually work in our favor based on the run to the final four. Either way I think last year will make some sort of an impact even if its a small one.

Multiple schools have turned down NIT bids in the past, including LSU last year I believe. I am pretty sure the ACC and our fellow conference mates couldn't care less whether or not SU plays in the NIT and turns down some nominal payment. As a program that considers itself just under blue blood status the bad look is not qualifying for the NCAA tournament not turning down a pointless NIT invite.

Kentucky, the program everyone around here seems to envy played in the NIT in 2009 and 2013. No one questions their status.

Kentucky, the program everyone around here seems to envy played in the NIT in 2009 and 2013. No one questions their status.

I didn't question our status I was responding to Dashers post about it being a bad look for the school to turn down the bid. In my opinion it wouldn't be a bad look but were not gonna turn it down so it doesn't matter anyway.

Agree with the first part. Disagree with the second.
Probably would get a 'benefit of the doubt' because we so recently demonstrated we can be dangerous in the tournament.
Sure, there is bias. Unless the decisions are made by computer, there is both interpretation of data involved, and a human element when selections are made. Every human has biases

If we're chosen for the NIT, JB has to decline, as much as I know he'll prefer to play.

All the NIT is going to do is give Mr. Battle 5 potential games to show folks that he's NBA ready.

Whatever SU might gain from the NIT games would be more than offset if TB decides to go pro.

If we wind up in the NIT...

Teams usually use the NIT to get back for next year by playing their kids and building towards next year. We don't even have kids to play. Maybe we give Howard more time at PG to get more of a look at him, but I seriously doubt that. The NIT would be a big waste of time. Even the 5th year guys won't be into at all. They came here to play in the NCAA Tourney. And the Dome will be empty.

Agree with the first part. Disagree with the second.
Probably would get a 'benefit of the doubt' because we so recently demonstrated we can be dangerous in the tournament.
Sure, there is bias. Unless the decisions are made by computer, there is both interpretation of data involved, and a human element when selections are made. Every human has biases

If that was the case don't you think the committee would have felt bad for Seth Greenberg and VPI those 4-5 straight years they spent on the bubble before he got fired?

If we're chosen for the NIT, JB has to decline, as much as I know he'll prefer to play.

All the NIT is going to do is give Mr. Battle 5 potential games to show folks that he's NBA ready.

Whatever SU might gain from the NIT games would be more than offset if TB decides to go pro.

Tb is not going pro.

I would bet a large sum of money that we end up a 2 seed in the same bracket as 1 - seed UNC Greensboro.

The NIT can play all kinds of games with seeding. It would be must see TV for them if that matchup were to happen.

And we would beat them by 40 and it would further prove that Greensboro provides no value, NONE. JB would get 2 wins.

My only concern is we may get payback for a controversial inclusion last year and be excluded so a case for favoritism / bias to an elite program can't be argued.

"Controversial inclusion" -- LOL.

I keep hearing this point raised, but it makes zero sense.

Why would this year's committee feel the need to correct a mistake or send a message over something last year's committee did?

Literally, makes zero sense. SU will either make the tournament this year because our profile stacks up favorably against the bubble field based upon some mathematical criteria, or we won't because our profile doesn't. Either way, it will be based upon merit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom