I'm all in for UConn in the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm all in for UConn in the ACC

Since the day we got into the ACC, I've said UConn would eventually get in also. And I'd be ok with that.

That is entirely true. HS football, and even Pee Wee/Pop Warner, is HUGE down here. Quite likely more important to the culture than attending church on Sundays. Seriously, no joke.

I know, my brother in law lives in Texas. People don't quite get how it literally is a way of life, you don't just one day create that in the NE.

What's kind interesting is that while pop warner "up here" isn't at the same level as it is in other parts of the country, it's almost more of a big deal in some areas than when the kids move on to modified/JV.

So there aren't a lot of P5 prospects in the Northeast but UConn would hurt our recruiting in the Northeast. If this program goes to where we think it is going I hope beating out UConn for New England based talent is the least of our worries. I would be much more concerned with USF moving into a P5 conference.

Too many don't get this. We don't have a local talent pool and not enough good recruits in the northeast to go around.

I should also add that I just plain don't like UConn Football.

I have always thought of it as a Yankee Conference program - and that it should remain a Yankee Conference program.

I was at the stadium yesterday - it's just not a major college football venue.

It occurred to me while I was watching the game, that the Carrier Dome - for all of its supposed faults - is a vastly superior football venue.

So there aren't a lot of P5 prospects in the Northeast but UConn would hurt our recruiting in the Northeast. If this program goes to where we think it is going I hope beating out UConn for New England based talent is the least of our worries. I would be much more concerned with USF moving into a P5 conference.

It's not the least of our worries. We need to build depth, especially on the line of scrimmage. A team in the same P5 conference has as much to sell, throw in immediate playing time.

It's really short sighted to say we plan on being better than then so don't worry about recruiting against them. They'll have more money, hire staff accordingly, build out facilities accordingly.

Look at the 90s. Rutgers was dead, Pitt was dead for much of it, UConn didn't exist. All the talent came to PSU or SU.

There are 35 million people in New York/New England plus Eastern Canada . Seens like it should be able to produce enough top athletes to run 3 P5 programs .
Apparently not because anytime one of the eastern teams is up the others are down if you cross chart the Win loss numbers the era's of up and down are startlingly inversely correlated. And I don't mean year to year I mean Era.

Its really a recruiting depth thing also if we lose a guy to Penn state say our fall back guy is now our 3rd choice because an ACC Uconn team was on our backup guy from the start and has the relationship. With them 'down a conference' it provides a distinct advantage.

I should also add that I just plain don't like UConn Football.

I have always thought of it as a Yankee Conference program - and that it should remain a Yankee Conference program.

I was at the stadium yesterday - it's just not a major college football venue.

It occurred to me while I was watching the game, that the Carrier Dome - for all of its supposed faults - is a vastly superior football venue.
You are dating yourself . Most people have never even heard of the Yankee conference ,

Apparently not because anytime one of the eastern teams is up the others are down if you cross chart the Win loss numbers the era's of up and down are startlingly inversely correlated. And I don't mean year to year I mean Era.

Its really a recruiting depth thing also if we lose a guy to Penn state say our fall back guy is now our 3rd choice because an ACC Uconn team was on our backup guy from the start and has the relationship. With them 'down a conference' it provides a distinct advantage.
I don't buy into zero sum gain thinking . There are many , many more guys out there waiting to be discovered and developed .

I . . . . . . . would be some big recruiting foe , which if we beat them every year the stronger team usually gets the best recruits anyways , then why did Penn St want Rutgers in the B1G ? I guess people here are afraid of UCONN .
Do you wait to read the board consensus and then decide what position to take? Maybe you're lobbying to become the board contrarian?

Afraid of UConn...really?

There are 35 million people in New York/New England plus Eastern Canada . Seens like it should be able to produce enough top athletes to run 3 P5 programs .

Should and does are two different things. As it stands, it can't support 2 P5 programs (Cuse and BC).

Do you wait to read the board consensus and then decide what position to take? Maybe you're lobbying to become the board contrarian?

Afraid of UConn...really?
Some times I write with hyperbole to get people's juices going . It gets people energized and posting , which makes for less boredom and apathy .

Should and does are two different things. As it stands, it can't support 2 P5 programs (Cuse and BC).
That is turning around for both schools right now .

Every school stills plays football . They need to switch to Texas style football like our man Dino plays . It would be a revolution .

Texas style football has nothing to do with offensive or defensive philosophies. It has do with culture.

Texas has extensive Spring 7 on 7 football.
Texas doesn't have Lacrosse as a sanctioned sport.
Texas has a 10 week season with possible 6 weeks of playoffs. A team can play up to 16 games in a year.
Texas still employs almost a full month of 2 a-days.
Texas has Spring practice just like colleges.
Texas has HUGE fan support.
Texas has flourishing youth football programs with kids starting as young as 4, and tackle leagues in BOTH Fall and Spring. And if you don't want tackle in the Spring, there is youth 7 on 7. This is true even in small towns.
Most Texas kids specialize and there are many sports training facilities in the major cities.

Until New York and New England can match that, there will continue to be a huge gap in talent.

I personally would never want to see UConn in the ACC.

We do not need a football conference rival so close to our recruiting territory.
Its time our fans realize we aren't in a Northeastern conference anymore, our recruiting territory is the mid-west, and the entire eastern coast. If we are going to be one of the Big Boys, that's how we need to recruit. Adding Uconn gives us a rival, and a program like Pitt that actually cares about their sports. BC has never been a major player in Football, or Basketball, and never will be. A strong Pitt, Syracuse. and Uconn, would knock the Big 10 completely out of the picture in the Northeast, and the East Coast.

Texas style football has nothing to do with offensive or defensive philosophies. It has do with culture.

Texas has extensive Spring 7 on 7 football.
Texas doesn't have Lacrosse as a sanctioned sport.
Texas has a 10 week season with possible 6 weeks of playoffs. A team can play up to 16 games in a year.
Texas still employs almost a full month of 2 a-days.
Texas has Spring practice just like colleges.
Texas has HUGE fan support.
Texas has flourishing youth football programs with kids starting as young as 4. This is true even in small towns.
Most Texas kids specialize and there are many sports training facilities in the major cities.

Until New York and New England can match that, there will continue to be a huge gap in talent.
New York football and eastern football in general has for a long time been mostly about meathead football . Modern people don't like that . High speed wide open offense with crossfit conditioning would draw the interest of a wider audience .

I think we will see the P12 stay at 12 while the B1G, SEC, and ACC go to 18. No one will be moving though until Texas picks a home. I think there is a decent shot that Texas ends up in the ACC. IMO West Virginia and Cincy would be ahead of UConn in the pecking order. The best shot for UConn might be as #18 in the B1G. That woudl actually be best for SU as UConn wouldn't ever be able to compete in the B1G (see Rutgers). In the ACC the could be an average team no problem which will hurt our recruiting.

A strong Pitt, Syracuse. and Uconn, would knock the Big 10 completely out of the picture in the Northeast, and the East Coast.
This is delusional. Sure, geographically they will be closer to the coast but no way they knock out the ingrained Big10 support.

New York football and eastern football in general has for a long time been mostly about meathead football . Modern people don't like that . High speed wide open offense with crossfit conditioning would draw the interest of a wider audience .

The reigning 6A champion plays meathead football. This is the same program that produced Andy Dalton. Again, it's not philosophy, it's culture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom