impact of CM leaving | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

impact of CM leaving

No team is taking this kid in the first round. 9ppg, 6rpg and rehabing an ACL tear. If this isn't school related it is the dumbest declaration of alltime and I support kids leaving.

Disagree, perfect fit for a loaded team at the end of the 1st round. Go to the Spurs, Hawks or Warriors and rehab for a year & they might end up with the type of player they have no other chance of obtaining with a pick in the late 20s.

Think it's worked out pretty well with CFB so why not do it with CBB.

NFLPA has more balls than the NBPA.

NFL Players Union wants to protect the jobs of its' existing members.

NBA Players Union cares more about HS and College kids than current NBA Players.

Alsacs said:
The bonus gift McCollough did was screw us with the scholarship hit. Now unless we win the appeal it will start next year and he really boned us with Bryant or any 1 year people. Seriously, Chris McCollough really screwed Syracuse basketball so he could get picked in the second round. I rarely get pissed at players leaving but this kid really made a dumb decision. I hope the money his agent gave him was worth it.

What IF it is an eligibility issue? He wouldn't be able to play next year anyways. May as well declare. And since we have a complete academic support staff shame on us for letting him blow off school because he was a one and done. This all assumes him leaving is due to academics.

Disagree, perfect fit for a loaded team at the end of the 1st round. Go to the Spurs, Hawks or Warriors and rehab for a year & they might end up with the type of player they have no other chance of obtaining with a pick in the late 20s.
Hawks are swapping spots with the Nets. Spurs and Warriors are adapt to take role players that fit their systems like an RJ Hunter or Delon Wright than gamble on a pick that would blow up in their face. No team is giving McCollough a 3 year guaranteed contract. He may get 1 year guaranteed in the second round to rehab and prove himself. This kid did not do enough to justify being picked in the first round. If he goes in the first round it will be the worst pick since Orlando took Fran Vazquez. I don't rail against players but this was so dumb I can't not speak out.

jordoo said:
I think the best model would be a core group of 3/4 year program kids that cover your bases and then supplement with a couple 1/2 year highly talented guys.
That doesn't seem all that different from what has been happening lately.

Hawks are swapping spots with the Nets. Spurs and Warriors are adapt to take role players that fit their systems like an RJ Hunter or Delon Wright than gamble on a pick that would blow up in their face. No team is giving McCollough a 3 year guaranteed contract. He may get 1 year guaranteed in the second round to rehab and prove himself. This kid did not do enough to justify being picked in the first round. If he goes in the first round it will be the worst pick since Orlando took Fran Vazquez. I don't rail against players but this was so dumb I can't not speak out.

Tell that to Thunder fans this year. McCullough has double the potential of Josh Huestis. Can count on 1 hand the number of guys picked by last years playoff teams that are even getting 10 mins of run per game.

That doesn't seem all that different from what has been happening lately.

Except we lost a couple guys earlier than planned and had two significant injuries.

Tell that to Thunder fans this year. McCullough has double the potential of Josh Huestis. Can count on 1 hand the number of guys picked by last years playoff teams that are even getting 10 mins of run per game.
Tell you what make me a bet on the spot you think McCollough goes and see if you will put your money where your belief is. If you want I will bet any reasonable amount McCollough doesn't go in the top 30. I don't even need the money if I win donate it to Dan Johnson Golf Tournament and if you win I will send it wherever.

This is where SU has been for about the last 8 years.

I think the best model would be a core group of 3/4 year program kids that cover your bases and then This is supplement with a couple 1/2 year highly talented guys.

jordoo said:
Except we lost a couple guys earlier than planned and had two significant injuries.
Right, so what are you proposing that the program do differently or did I misinterpret your post?

Right, so what are you proposing that the program do differently or did I misinterpret your post?

Nothing except stay off of scholarship reductions, get lucky and keep an early entry guy a year longer here and there plus have some better luck with health. I'm generally very happy with the recruiting and see last season as sort of a perfect storm situation that bit us in the butt. I would like to see JB himself hit the recruiting trail more.

Tell you what make me a bet on the spot you think McCollough goes and see if you will put your money where your belief is. If you want I will bet any reasonable amount McCollough doesn't go in the top 30. I don't even need the money if I win donate it to Dan Johnson Golf Tournament and if you win I will send it wherever.

I'm not much of a betting man but I also think its absurd to say that he'd be the worst 1st rd pick since Fran Vasquez. There's multiple guys taken in the 1st round every single year with less potential and that spend the entire year in the d-league. There's a reason that he was still a projected top 10 pick in the '16 draft on nbadraft.net (not that the site is gospel) as of yesterday, but to be able to secure that type of upside in the late 20s by a team with no needs is absolutely feasible & fairly probable.

My thoughts, for what they are worth...

I seem to remember hearing on this board from current SU students that Chris wasn't really taking the academic part of being at SU seriously, because he was planning on being a one and done player. Could this be playing a role in his decision? Additionally, I would have to think he missed some class time due to his injury, surgery and rehab, possibly putting him even further behind academically.

My other thought has to do with his timetable to return. I read in several articles that he was hoping to be ready to return in January. If our schedule next year is similar to this year he would be missing the entire non-conference season. If he was able to return when expected, which doesn't always happen with these types of injuries, he would be thrown right into the ACC schedule against tougher opponents. My point being, even if Chris came back next year, it seems that many fans were being unrealistic in their expectations. I was looking at a best case scenario of Chris making it back for ACC play, working up to 20-25 minutes of action by the end of the season with his points and rebounds per game close to what they were this year. Nothing wrong with those numbers, but certainly not a death sentence for the 15-16 squad if he didn't return.

As an alum and proud supporter of everything SU, I wish him the best. I am hopeful a team will take a chance on him and draft him in the first round so he can have a guaranteed contract. Off the top of my head the only comparable I can think of is Nerlens Noel. Of course Noel had almost an entire, and more productive, season at Kentucky under his belt when he injured his knee. I truly hope I am wrong, but I don't see an NBA team using a first round pick on a player who played sixteen college games, was only dominant in three or four against inferior competition, and is coming off major knee surgery.

New definition of one and done.

How many games did he play in?

New definition of one and done.

How many games did he play in?
He played in the first 15 games, and got hurt seven minutes into the 16th game.

Thus he truly was half a one and done as we played 31 games.

The bonus gift McCollough did was screw us with the scholarship hit. Now unless we win the appeal it will start next year and he really boned us with Bryant or any 1 year people.

Seriously, Chris McCollough really screwed Syracuse basketball so he could get picked in the second round. I rarely get pissed at players leaving but this kid really made a dumb decision. I hope the money his agent gave him was worth it.
"We" screwed ourselves with the scholarship hit.

I don't rail against players but this was so dumb I can't not speak out.

I'm as shocked as you. There is no question that there are guys every year who declare for a multitude of reasons and one of them is that they just aren't someone who embraces the college atmosphere. I get that. But whoever is getting in McCullough's ear and telling him that he is going to be a guaranteed first round pick has to be absolutely insane. I understand that he has great physical tools. I can even overlook his injury. People do come back from that quite regularly. But I can't overlook how he played for Syracuse in his half of season. Even the most liberal of rooters has to agree that Chris did not truly make an impact for Syracuse last year. I don't get it, but I do get that it has to be something else that is causing this decision (and I am not talking about a bambino in the over). That is such a lame excuse.

I'm coming to my senses.

We were never going to get more than one season out of McCullough.

He was determined to leave after one year.

So we got half a season.

Next.

I'm coming to my senses.

We were never going to get more than one season out of McCullough.

He was determined to leave after one year.

So we got half a season.

Next.

yep. I honestly feel far less than I did with Ennis and Grant and I was reserved to lose both of them as well. I think the last one that actually bothered me was Flynn to be honest. This happens every year to the big boys. Look at Kansas, they lose a huge amount every year. Granted they are a blue blood, but we aren't that far behind. This is part of the game. Better keep recruiting well or we're done. UK will lose up to 6-7 players and be great again next year. Thats our competition, for players and titles. rather be a have than a have not.

"We" screwed ourselves with the scholarship hit.
absolutely. CMAC was as good as gone before he got to us. JB and co better not be too surprised. Just hope they can salvage something, 5th year, or TB if possible. I honestly don't understand our restrictions, so I don't really know if they can bring anyone else in. I believe we are at 9 ships now though, right. We're allowed 10?

jr4750 said:
absolutely. CMAC was as good as gone before he got to us. JB and co better not be too surprised. Just hope they can salvage something, 5th year, or TB if possible. I honestly don't understand our restrictions, so I don't really know if they can bring anyone else in. I believe we are at 9 ships now though, right. We're allowed 10?

We're at 10.

Chad Ford has McCollough at 43rd right now. Last year he had Ennis 9th and Grant 17th at this time and both fell.

Sure hope you weren't able to get anyone else to take this bet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom