impact of CM leaving | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

impact of CM leaving

Rak Christmas gets drafted before Chris McCollough. I honestly don't get the council the McCollough family is listening to right now. If he stayed healthy he goes in the first round, but the kid has an ACL tear and won't be ready till next November and won't be 100% once its healed. I just don't get it.

Didn't realize he went to high school in Connecticut. News to me. Ha.

If true, most disappointing recruit in SU history.

Now that's not exactly fair. You were the one poster on here who (accurately) assessed Chris as soft and undeveloped, so you couldn't have been all that disappointed by his fulfilling your prediction.

On that note, a lot of posters were critical of those who said that the knee injury was no guarantee to keep McCullough in school for a second year. Not saying I told you so, but...well, we weren't wrong.

Poor dude. Seems like a nice kid, but he's making some potentially poor life decisions.

Makes me think his grades were totally dreadful. This, coupled with the lack of scholarship walk ons in the upcoming years, may lead to APR issues.
Our APR is will be fine. Once the Devo/Harris class comes off the books we will only have the Fab Melo year to drag us down. We have been 1000 the last two years. The APR won't be problem unless we have more Melo's in the future. 11 of the last 13 four years players have graduated. We are fine.

Rak Christmas gets drafted before Chris McCollough. I honestly don't get the council the McCollough family is listening to right now. If he stayed healthy he goes in the first round, but the kid has an ACL tear and won't be ready till next November and won't be 100% once its healed. I just don't get it.

There's nothing to get here. As the old advertising saying goes, "Think about how dumb the average American is. Now consider the fact that 50% of the population is dumber than that." I guarantee you that those involved in this decision are in the latter 50% and have not actually thought this through.

One possibility and I have no real idea, but he was a one and done. No doubt about that and everyone knew. It's possible he didn't take school as seriously knowing he was going after his freshman year. It's possible that he had eligibility issues now and there's no way we will try to do anything that isn't by the books with the sanctions hanging over our heads.

A couple people touched on this in January. Kids who don't anticipate being here past April don't always fulfill their obligations in January. That can remove the sophomore year as an option; wouldn't be the first time this has happened, and you're right that the NCAA attention will make us especially honest.

It really does make no sense in this case... But I've stopped trying to make sense of kids declaring because I have never been in the position or situation they're in.

The semester isn't over and he would have summer to correct academics. Maybe the reason isn't academic, but financial? Didn't someone say he's going to be a dad?

The semester isn't over and he would have summer to correct academics. Maybe the reason isn't academic, but financial? Didn't someone say he's going to be a dad?
He probably didn't do much in the fall semester either, if academics were an issue here...

The bonus gift McCollough did was screw us with the scholarship hit. Now unless we win the appeal it will start next year and he really boned us with Bryant or any 1 year people.

Seriously, Chris McCollough really screwed Syracuse basketball so he could get picked in the second round. I rarely get pissed at players leaving but this kid really made a dumb decision. I hope the money his agent gave him was worth it.

JB's next PC is going to be delicious. Again, if McCullough's academics didn't disqualify him from being eligible this would be the worst player declaration of all-time.
I bet this is going to to be a hit to the APR too as I doubt he finishes his classes this spring. Bad decision and just bad all the waya round. Also didn't we need to add Bryant BEFORE losing CMc? Now we are at the 10 limit so can't delay the ship restriction?

McCullough is a kid that went to multiple high schools, school is clearly not his thing. NBA cares more about potential and they have seen enough to gauge his talent. From his standpoint he probably just wants to be a pro next year, not in two years. As a fan, would love him to return but this is something he came in prepared to do. May be time to start speculating on whether SU would get a last minute pick up from somewhere (5th year senior, other potential hs seniors).

Francis, could you weigh in on this….

Don't worry Philly will draft him in 2nd round then trade him 1/2 way through the season.

Chris McCollough is why kids should be allowed to declare for the NBA out of HS. This injury really boned him and he is seriously screwing over the coaches that recruited him for money from an agent. No NBA team even with 4 first round picks is taking this kid in the first round. He will be trick or treat second round pick for a team.

Unless we can get the one and done types that can take us to the promise land (Carmelo) I'd rather us get back to the program kids we've recruited predominantly over the years...all of this instability with nothing to show for it is just nauseating.

orangecuse said:
Unless we can get the one and done types that can take us to the promise land (Carmelo) I'd rather us get back to the program kids we've recruited predominantly over the years...all this instability with nothing to show for it is just nauseating.

Well, this incoming class should be around for several years. So we shouldn't have endure this stuff for some time.

The bonus gift McCollough did was screw us with the scholarship hit. Now unless we win the appeal it will start next year and he really boned us with Bryant or any 1 year people.

Seriously, Chris McCollough really screwed Syracuse basketball so he could get picked in the second round. I rarely get pissed at players leaving but this kid really made a dumb decision. I hope the money his agent gave him was worth it.

This isn't true...please just take a little break and cool off a bit. We've all seen conflicting reports about room for Bryant and this decision doesn't change that situation at all. It might even help SU's chances if they can still offer, because it's one less guy Bryant has to worry about.

I'm going to step out and get some fresh air, so any responses from me won't be until later this afternoon.

Chris McCollough is why kids should be allowed to declare for the NBA out of HS. This injury really boned him and he is seriously screwing over the coaches that recruited him for money from an agent. No NBA team even with 4 first round picks is taking this kid in the first round. He will be trick or treat second round pick for a team.
The age limit is imposed by the NBA not the NCAA. The league has found problems with many of the direct from high school kids ability to function independently ie: maturity issues. That is a major reason they want the age restriction. I favor a set up like MLB where you can go out of HS but if you go the college route you can't get drafted for 3 years. Please NBA it makes so much more sense.

This isn't true...please just take a little break and cool off a bit. We've all seen conflicting reports about room for Bryant and this decision doesn't change that situation at all. It might even help SU's chances if they can still offer, because it's one less guy Bryant has to worry about.

I'm going to step out and get some fresh air, so any responses from me won't be until later this afternoon.
If we were at 11 scholarship athletes we could have added 2 more and delayed the penalty one year. By reaching 10 scholarship athletes no Johnson, Patterson, now McCollough we can't add anymore recruits unless we win the NCAA appeal. This declaration was huge.

Need to go to 2 year minimum. Let kids develop, the college game gets better, and hopefully the NBA too. Also gives coach's time to recruit someone for a replacement in case kid does leave after 2nd year. Situations like with Tyler Ennis really hurt us but benefited him at the time.

Unless we can get the one and done types that can take us to the promise land (Carmelo) I'd rather us get back to the program kids we've recruited predominantly over the years...all of this instability with nothing to show for it is just nauseating.

I think the best model would be a core group of 3/4 year program kids that cover your bases and then supplement with a couple 1/2 year highly talented guys.

Need to go to 2 year minimum. Let kids develop, the college game gets better, and hopefully the NBA too. Also gives coach's time to recruit someone for a replacement in case kid does leave after 2nd year. Situations like with Tyler Ennis really hurt us but benefited him at the time.

There are so many guys who played quailty NBA minutes out of high school, future all stars who came out of high school. Yes there are some horror stories from HS to the NBA but there aren't as many bad ones than good ones.

They get rid of the rule because of guys like Kwame Brown and Jonathan Bender, pffft, Bender made 30 mil from the league and Brown 63 mil. Granted there were worse cases than them but really not that many.

2 years is too long to hold back some of these guys.

There are so many guys who played quailty NBA minutes out of high school, future all stars who came out of high school. Yes there are some horror stories from HS to the NBA but there aren't as many bad ones than good ones.

They get rid of the rule because of guys like Kwame Brown and Jonathan Bender, pffft, Bender made 30 mil from the league and Brown 63 mil. Granted there were worse cases than them but really not that many.

2 years is too long to hold back some of these guys.
Think it's worked out pretty well with CFB so why not do it with CBB.

Think it's worked out pretty well with CFB so why not do it with CBB.

What works in baseball works pretty well too, why not do that with CBB? The thing is with football, it's a completely different sport. I doubt there's ever been a HS player who could have physically gone to the NFL and been a solid contributor where in the NBA it happened all the time. Comparing sports and their rules on prep to pro is apples and oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom