In case you forgot the insanity of Bob Knight | Syracusefan.com

In case you forgot the insanity of Bob Knight

It would not outside of a service academy. I went to a coaching clinic with .y high school coach that Coach Knight pu on in 1979. He was a good friend of my coach, always scored final four tickets for him. Knight, like Boeheim, was a coaching genius. By the, the game had changed and he did not want to change with it. Men like Knight and John Wooden would not fair as well today as they would be a hard sell for recruiting. I think Coach K left when he did as he did not like how things were changing. As an older professional man I find the same thing to be true. Young women coming to the office in pajamas and slippers. Men wearing cut off shorts and tee shirts. I can not imagine what my first managers would think and say

It would not outside of a service academy. I went to a coaching clinic with .y high school coach that Coach Knight pu on in 1979. He was a good friend of my coach, always scored final four tickets for him. Knight, like Boeheim, was a coaching genius. By the, the game had changed and he did not want to change with it. Men like Knight and John Wooden would not fair as well today as they would be a hard sell for recruiting. I think Coach K left when he did as he did not like how things were changing. As an older professional man I find the same thing to be true. Young women coming to the office in pajamas and slippers. Men wearing cut off shorts and tee shirts. I can not imagine what my first managers would think and say
Actually, I assume your first managers in the 40s or 50s said the same thing about you. Old man yelling at cloud is a meme for a reason

Men like Knight and John Wooden would not fair as well today as they would be a hard sell for recruiting.
Is there a dark side of John Wooden I’m not aware of? I always thought of him as a gentleman like Dean Smith.

Actually, I assume your first managers in the 40s or 50s said the same thing about you. Old man yelling at cloud is a meme for a reason
Don't think so, I was promoted within a year and running the place in two. Went from that to running a 75 man law firm. Now I am semi- retired and do some consulting work to keep out of trouble. I have had a blessed life both personally and professionally. Worked hard, raised two wonderful, successful children and recently celebrated 44 years of marriage. Not wealthy, but comfortable yet never once went to work in pajamas and slippers. Of course at my age they are lucky if I show up to work in pants.

Is there a dark side of John Wooden I’m not aware of? I always thought of him as a gentleman like Dean Smith.
I think he was, but how do people of his era relate to 18 year olds now.

star trek GIF

Kids in the 60’s were no piece of cake. Wasn’t there some team dissension between Wooden and Walton et al.

I think Wooden's style (a cerebral and respectful leader) would relate to players of any era. Knight on the other hand would have been fired like 50 times over in the social media era when it's so much harder to hide bad behavior.

Walton was likely a hand full. Free spirited athletes are seldom loved by coaches. As a young freshman three sport athlete in high school I took part in a protest against the Viet Nam war. My coach found out as I was not in class and I spent the next two weeks sitting next to him in street clothes during games and running laps for two hours at practices. All he would tell me was that I could quit and join my hippie friends if it was too hard for me. I hated him. By the time I graduated we were and still are close friends. I was a part of his wedding party and he, Mine. Funny thing, my hippie friends still liked me and respected my choice.

Don't think so, I was promoted within a year and running the place in two. Went from that to running a 75 man law firm. Now I am semi- retired and do some consulting work to keep out of trouble. I have had a blessed life both personally and professionally. Worked hard, raised two wonderful, successful children and recently celebrated 44 years of marriage. Not wealthy, but comfortable yet never once went to work in pajamas and slippers. Of course at my age they are lucky if I show up to work in pants.
The fact you don’t get it says it all.

Here’s a hint, you’re the old guy that yells at the clouds.

I’m getting there too. I hate modern day music. We all get there.

Good lord. I don’t even know where to begin with this post. But one thing. John Wooden was not a bully or a big screamer. Bob Knight, on the other hand, was always a full on lunatic. JB actually had a reputation for being pretty tame compared to some of the lunatics like Knight, K and Gary Williams.

He got fired from Indiana because he freaked out when somebody said hi to him.

I think that says it all.
It was a random Indiana student who yelled something like “hey knight, what’s up” or “hey Bob, what’s up” on campus - and he grabbed the kid by the arm, cursing, lecturing him on manners saying that the kid was “disrespectful” addressing him that way. :rolleyes: As if reacting the way Knight did was teaching and displaying proper manners.

It was a random Indiana student who yelled something like “hey knight, what’s up” or “hey Bob, what’s up” on campus - and he grabbed the kid by the arm, cursing, lecturing him on manners saying that the kid was “disrespectful” addressing him that way. :rolleyes: As if reacting the way Knight did was teaching and displaying proper manners.

TBF at least he didn’t kill the kid, as coaches down the road in south bend are known to do.

I think something that is being somewhat overlooked is the fact that knight was treating other grown adults who he had no authority over and who had choice but to cover him like they were kids sent to “scared straight “ camp by their parents .

As abhorrent as he may have treated his players, there WAS some level of permission granted to him as everyone knew what craziness they were signing up for (although the degree of that eventually spun out of control) when they sent their kids to the sociopath.. but this guy is just trying to do his job and knight acts like a baby who lost his pacifier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom