IPF turf | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

IPF turf

First, I have no issue with the uniforms this year. I know I am in the minority of adult fans even among my tailgate group. However, I do think the brand influences a kid's decision and the uniforms are part of the brand. If the brand has no influence, why would anyone care about branding?

First, I have no issue with the uniforms this year. I know I am in the minority of adult fans even among my tailgate group. However, I do think the brand influences a kid's decision and the uniforms are part of the brand. If the brand has no influence, why would anyone care about branding?

Good insight, and with it, you knowingly or unknowingly pose the question:

"Just what the hell is our brand?"

IMHO, this past season's uniforms did nothing to define what SU's brand is or should be. Nothing! Major fail.

TheCusian said:
You're calling our coach, the recruits, and AD all liars.

Maybe, but I don't think so. It's semantics and word games. I don't think any of those people say a kid chose SU because of uniforms. I don't recall one SU player or parent even mentioning the unis as part of their reason when I've talked to them. I never recall a single HS kid I've engaged with when I coached mentioning unis (although there weren't all these variations then). The one school that might be able to say unis help, only because it's part of their whole "glitz" is Oregon.

Maybe, but I don't think so. It's semantics and word games. I don't think any of those people say a kid chose SU because of uniforms. I don't recall one SU player or parent even mentioning the unis as part of their reason when I've talked to them. I never recall a single HS kid I've engaged with when I coached mentioning unis (although there weren't all these variations then). The one school that might be able to say unis help, only because it's part of their whole "glitz" is Oregon.
I had the opportunity to take in a couple of home games from one of the corporate booths. There was a bunch of HS aged kids in the booth on both occasions.

Just for kicks, I asked them what they thought of the new uniforms...to a person they said they hated them. One of the kids even said that the uni's were embarrassing. So much for the "all the young people like them" talk.

Personally, I like some of the built-in design ideas i.e. the crossed 44's on the collar, the fabric and I don't even mind the 44 degree angled lines. But, overall, I think the new uni's are hideous (especially the number font) and do nothing to enhance the Syracuse brand. If anything, the crazy combinations coupled with a 3-win season makes us look like clowns. We have no identity.

rrlbees said:

I've never claimed it was the main reason a recruit chooses us. Not once. I've maintained that it's something kids think about and that it plays a role.

Just for kicks, I asked them what they thought of the new uniforms...to a person they said they hated them. One of the kids even said that the uni's were embarrassing. So much for the "all the young people like them" talk.

Embarrassing is the word I would use for that combo of gray pants, blue jersey, blue helmet we wore for the Duke game. I don't care what a recruit says, it was a terrible representation of the Syracuse Orange. Give me a few 5 star guys coming here because of it, and I'll change my mind (everybody's got a price). But otherwise, Gross should apologize for that day.

I've never claimed it was the main reason a recruit chooses us. Not once. I've maintained that it's something kids think about and that it plays a role.
kids want sleek, hip, unis with the right material.

you think/misinterpret that for color scheme.

Good insight, and with it, you knowingly or unknowingly pose the question:

"Just what the hell is our brand?"

IMHO, this past season's uniforms did nothing to define what SU's brand is or should be. Nothing! Major fail.
I think the uniforms were meant to be cutting edge and designed to appeal to people much younger than I. I think they probably did.

Embarrassing is the word I would use for that combo of gray pants, blue jersey, blue helmet we wore for the Duke game. I don't care what a recruit says, it was a terrible representation of the Syracuse Orange. Give me a few 5 star guys coming here because of it, and I'll change my mind (everybody's got a price). But otherwise, Gross should apologize for that day.
Yep, I was in the booth for that game. Horrendous. Almost as bad as the intramural-style uni's that the hoops team wore last year. We've lost our way.

KaiserUEO said:
no you dont.

Yep. As tired of it as the McNabb traditionalists. Can't let blatant mistruths go unanswered.

KaiserUEO said:
kids want sleek, hip, unis with the right material. you think/misinterpret that for color scheme.

No. It's the whole package.

Why do they retweet pictures of it? Because of how it feels?!

No. It's the whole package.

Why do they retweet pictures of it? Because of how it feels?!
they were issued a uni by a P5 program, thats pretty damn exciting.

how else would you like them to show all their friends back at home that theyve made it??

set up an autograph table at the mall??

they were issued a uni by a P5 program, thats pretty damn exciting.

how else would you like them to show all their friends back at home that theyve made it??

set up an autograph table at the mall??
Uniforms are part of the reason a kid picks a school. A 17/18 year old thinks of several factors and I bet uniform colors/combos are just important to some as majors offered. I remember you said a kid would never pick SU because of a movie (The Express) but we have more than a handful of examples of kids saying it played a huge role in their initial interest and selection of SU. Hell, the Heisman runnerup was intrigued with SU because of the movie. If only Dougy Buffalo would've come out of his office.

Most HS kids in the areas we recruit from are much bigger NFL fans than college fans. If any of thos kids have dreamed of wearing a uniform of a certain team it's likely to be one of the Giants, Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys, etc. None of those look remotely close to the garbage we trotted out this season.

If I have to watch this program suck they can at least do us the favor of not dressing like something found in Nike's dumpster.

TexanMark said:
Uniforms are part of the reason a kid picks a school. A 17/18 year old thinks of several factors and I bet uniform colors/combos are just important to some as majors offered. I remember you said a kid would never pick SU because of a movie (The Express) but we have more than a handful of examples of kids saying it played a huge role in their initial interest and selection of SU. Hell, the Heisman runnerup was intrigued with SU because of the movie. If only Dougy Buffalo would've come out of his office.

I'd love to find one kid on earth who ever said, "I was really interested in [school X] but their uniforms just weren't Oregony enough for me, so I didn't go there".

RMH44 said:
I had the opportunity to take in a couple of home games from one of the corporate booths. There was a bunch of HS aged kids in the booth on both occasions. Just for kicks, I asked them what they thought of the new uniforms...to a person they said they hated them. One of the kids even said that the uni's were embarrassing. So much for the "all the young people like them" talk. Personally, I like some of the built-in design ideas i.e. the crossed 44's on the collar, the fabric and I don't even mind the 44 degree angled lines. But, overall, I think the new uni's are hideous (especially the number font) and do nothing to enhance the Syracuse brand. If anything, the crazy combinations coupled with a 3-win season makes us look like clowns. We have no identity.

Same here with my son and his friends. The number of people who think a recruit is going to say he doesn't like a schools unis is strange. Even stranger is the number of people that think unis are any factor at all.

rrlbees said:
Same here with my son and his friends. The number of people who think a recruit is going to say he doesn't like a schools unis is strange. Even stranger is the number of people that think unis are any factor at all.

My kids hate our unis too, and they're all about the InstaSnapGramBook like every other tween and teen.

KaiserUEO said:
they were issued a uni by a P5 program, thats pretty damn exciting. how else would you like them to show all their friends back at home that theyve made it?? set up an autograph table at the mall??

Yep. The unis could have been pea green and pink and they'd tweet pics.

I have plenty of experience that isn't just mine, but hs recruits. Whether they like a schools unis or not, was never a factor in a kids decision. Not once. Instead of quoting a kid that says he liked a uniform or that they were hot, show me one where a kid said it was part of his decision. Maybe you'll find the one off blockhead.

I've heard of plenty of kids wanting to wear the winged helmet, or the gold helmet, but I've never heard one interview where a kid says he wants to wear some gongshow numbers with 44 degree angles.

We had Syracuse tradition and we've pissed on it.

I love Syracuse football more than many things in this world, but lately I find myself identifying more with Michigan because I see continuity in being part of that school. No matter what, the winged helmet and the blue jerseys with maize numbers endures. I watch SU and I don't recognize them as Syracuse. It's easy to disassociate yourself from them.

Michigan has its problems, but SU is a friggin' clown show in comparison. Drives me nuts.

My kids hate our unis too, and they're all about the InstaSnapGramBook like every other tween and teen.

Most kids likes and dislikes are influenced by their parents. Wonder why they don't like the uniforms.

Scooch said:
I'd love to find one kid on earth who ever said, "I was really interested in [school X] but their uniforms just weren't Oregony enough for me, so I didn't go there".

Missing the point. It's never THE reason. It's a part of the whole.

rrlbees said:

You're on the bigger ledge - saying that the thing that players are wearing on national TV doesn't matter.

CuseOnly said:
Most kids likes and dislikes are influenced by their parents. Wonder why they don't like the uniforms.

Trust me, my kid doesn't let my likes and dislikes influence him at all. In fact, if anything, like most teenagers, if I say up, he'll say down.

I've heard of plenty of kids wanting to wear the winged helmet, or the gold helmet, but I've never heard one interview where a kid says he wants to wear some gongshow numbers with 44 degree angles.

We had Syracuse tradition and we've pissed on it.

I love Syracuse football more than many things in this world, but lately I find myself identifying more with Michigan because I see continuity in being part of that school. No matter what, the winged helmet and the blue jerseys with maize numbers endures. I watch SU and I don't recognize them as Syracuse. It's easy to disassociate yourself from them.

Michigan has its problems, but SU is a friggin' clown show in comparison. Drives me nuts.

Hmmmm so you're saying uniforms do matter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom