is hop kidding me?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

is hop kidding me??

That wasn't the judgment I was talking about.

I thought you said it was ridiculous to judge whether Hop is the long-term answer during his role as interim coach?

Chino should get more than 1 min as we will need him before the year is over and FH should get 10-15.

Our mental mistakes increased dramatically starting around the 5 minute mark. We were exhausted and Pitt was taking momentum. We had 3 TOs. Call one just to give our backcourt their first rest!

Excellent point about the exhaustion. Rookie mistake to carry all 3 timeouts to the end---but in fairness to Hop he is not slated to be a head coach for 2 1/2 more years so a lot of learning to do before then. Blame the NCAA---we go from a HOF coach to a coach with 0 "in-game" coaching experience. But this still wasn't as bad as losing to a lowly St. Johns team, on our "home court" to boot!

serious question...What adjustments were people looking for? Our defense was solid all night. We got good shots all night. There's no magic pill for rebounding.

serious question...What adjustments were people looking for? Our defense was solid all night. We got good shots all night. There's no magic pill for rebounding.
This x 10, it's all about personnel. I can't wait until we have PC in the 5 spot next year and our zone is huge and dominating. Everyone who is saying play m2m right now will be all about the zone next year just wait.

That d has been the same for 20 years, no surprises, what you see is what you get. We had a real chance tonight, but cant seem to find a blow at any time during the game for the guys we need down the stretch, other teams do it and usually at our expense et al G'town and St Johns games this year
And do you expect the interim coach for 9 games to change a 20 year system? How long have you watched this team? Perhaps when Hop is the head coach for real he may make changes like adding MTM as an option, but he sure as fcuk isn't going to for 9 games.

As for putting subs in, Howard might have been an option for brief periods, except I thought I read he and Obokoh were ill.

Well since they have to practice against man to man it shouldn't be a stretch to play m2m for short periods to change things up. And I am not completely blaming Hop, Silent G was horrible and can't shoot a free throw or make a layup if he was standing on top of the backboard

Well since they have to practice against man to man it shouldn't be a stretch to play m2m for short periods to change things up. And I am not completely blaming Hop, Silent G was horrible and can't shoot a free throw or make a layup if he was standing on top of the backboard

I don't know if you remember the last time we used the MTM defense in a game. I believe it was when we lost an exhibition game to that powerhouse Lemoyne College which is maybe a D-3 school. But the interim coach is supposed to use it against a conference rival. SMH.

Use of time outs, clock management get better with some experience. Recruit a couple of 5 stars and it won't make a whole lot of difference. We are out talented this year. There are no interior big physical players on the frontline. A Derrick Coleman or John Wallace would make a huge difference. A lot more than the timing of calling a TO. Maybe it will motivate Hop to recruit.

So you are saying that every team is so much more physically talented than us that we can't play 10 minutes of m2m a game, wow

I don't know if you remember the last time we used the MTM defense in a game. I believe it was when we lost an exhibition game to that powerhouse Lemoyne College which is maybe a D-3 school. But the interim coach is supposed to use it against a conference rival. SMH.
So you are saying that every team is so much more physically talented than us that we can't play 10 minutes of m2m a game, wow

Last 5 mins not one good shot

This x 10, it's all about personnel. I can't wait until we have PC in the 5 spot next year and our zone is huge and dominating. Everyone who is saying play m2m right now will be all about the zone next year just wait.
How about winning this year

Not sure if you have ever played organized basketball, but you really get the slides for m2m down in games. Practicing is one thing, doing it in a live game against non practice players is another. We would get lit up.

So these kids have never played man to man at any time in their careers? And yes I've played organized b'ball. They could play man if JB would just admit sometimes you have to trust the players. Just ask Chip Kelly it's not all about the sysytem

I only read 5 posts on this thread. We have been exited for Hop for years. We knew we were getting a first year head coach. We get him now, 9 games with someone else's team/gameplan, and we throw him to the wolves. Did we not expect a learning curve? We are lucky as heck to have these 9 games. Let him learn. We have been so spoiled.

-disclaimer. Troop is hammered. I hope this made sense

I only read 5 posts on this thread. We have been exited for Hop for years. We knew we were getting a first year head coach. We get him now, 9 games with someone else's team/gameplan, and we throw him to the wolves. Did we not expect a learning curve? We are lucky as heck to have these 9 games. Let him learn. We have been so spoiled.

-disclaimer. Troop is hammered. I hope this made sense
Wise words from the hammered Troop. Drunk people can't lie people, soak it in.

More talented than Lemoyne College you mean? Yes, pretty much even the cupcakes are when they're D-1. We haven't had the blowouts of 40+ points we used to have. Playing man would not do a bit of good. One can make an argument for the occasional use of the press, and JB once in a while uses it. But you can't expect the interim coach to know when to.

we played 40 mins of m2m against Lemoyne and JB said he did that to quiet the players from asking to play it. Sounds like JB just wanted to be right.

Hop coached a pretty good game tonight. We are vastly out matched down low. That isn't in him.

Hop didn't miss 9 free throws and a bunch of layups. Sure, I agree that a time out was warranted, but Hop did a good job otherwise. We lost this game at the ft line and when Coleman fouled out.

Use of time outs, clock management get better with some experience. Recruit a couple of 5 stars and it won't make a whole lot of difference. We are out talented this year. There are no interior big physical players on the frontline. A Derrick Coleman or John Wallace would make a huge difference. A lot more than the timing of calling a TO. Maybe it will motivate Hop to recruit.
The NCAA screwed us out of a big man whose name I forgot for foreign HS academics. He's in some JUCO now.

Mal got to the rim whenever he wanted, only ran it for him a few times. Call a play once in a while. Don't like Hop, he has no fire in him like he did when he played. We can do much better for a coach imo
So, because he doesn't act like Frank Martin he's no good. Oh Lord
He has plenty of fire in him. He just smart enough to use it when he needs it.

The M2M issue is really crazy for this year at least. We have a thin bench that would not be enough particularly for a team like Pitt. Coleman would have fouled out 10 minutes before he did if we played man. G and TC would have been even more gassed than they were.
M2M was not the problem. As others have said, our big guys are not going to get us the rebounds we need and a few more free throws in the first half would have helped.

For real? Like a timeout would have solved our rebounding issue. Oh wait, it would have helped us make free throws...my bad.
Exactly! NCAA needs to do away with timeouts! There is zero reason to even have them. Your team is your team - deal with it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom