"Is Syracuse in Buffalo?" and other Verizon Center tidbits | Syracusefan.com

"Is Syracuse in Buffalo?" and other Verizon Center tidbits

themole

Starter
I was near the very back of an upper corner section last night, three rows from the wall. It was an interesting cross-section of people around me:

- To my right were a 40-something woman and her husband who were from Denver but rooting for Marquette. The woman knew her sports stuff decently, like that Carmelo was from Syracuse, then went to Denver and now the Knicks, but at one point she asked, "So, is Syracuse in Buffalo?" What? It took me a few seconds to figure out she thought it was like, oh, Canisius being in Buffalo. She didn’t know Syracuse was also a city.

- Right next to me on the other side were a guy and his wife who must have been there just for the hell of it, since they didn't appear to favor anyone and were wearing generic light blue shirts. I thought they were MU fans also but guess not. They just sat there and ate some wings and played on Facebook. An expensive night...

- Behind me were a bunch of frat boys from UVa who rode up to watch the game. They were rooting for Miami in the first game and completely confounded by the performance. They also booed loudly any time they showed Duke or Carolina on the big screen above center court (at timeouts they showed classic tourney moments). They mocked Tyler Hansborough and said he couldn't talk. One of them in our game took a fancy to Otto. At every timeout he would scream, "Dance, Round Man, Dance!" He also liked it when Otto pulled his arms inside his costume and swung the body part of the costume around like a spherical hula hoop. He told his friends Otto had gone from being one of his least favorite mascots to one of his favorites.

- In front of me was the calmest SU fan I'd ever seen. He just sat there and watched, and clapped now and then. But a couple times when I was standing up, I happened to see him texting or something on his rather large cell phone saying "OMG THIS IS AWESOME HOLY CRAP WE'RE KICKING IU'S ASSES." Thought that was funny.

- To my left were a couple other guys rooting for Miami. But they must have been fair-weather, because by the middle of the second half they had given up and one was opening shouting 'You suck, Miami!" Then he started this chant: "You can't spell SUCK without a U! You can't spell SUCK without a U!" Was that supposed to be specific to the University of Miami? Wouldn't it apply to any **U**niversity? Oh well.

- Finally, sitting behind me, near the frat boys, was an entire family of IU fans who showed up near the end of the Marquette game. They were fully decked out in pinstriped pants and jerseys. There was a mom, dad and several children ranging from 7-ish to teens. At one point the littlest kid told his mom, "That No. 1 guy can shoot, they have to guard him!" I felt bad for this little kid by the end, seeing his team go down like it did, but at least it was a decisive outcome and not heartbreak city.

On the way out, after the game, an SU fan was running around high-fiving others in Orange gear. He high-fived me, which apparently pissed off the middle-aged IU fan (looking lovely in pinstriped pants) behind me because he shoved me from behind and then glared at me. I thought he was going to try and hit me, but thankfully not. A slightly weird end to an amazing evening. No guarantees with Marquette on Saturday, but us SU fans will always have last night.

That's great. That little kid will probably grow up to be a Syracuse fan, which will really piss his dad off. And when that guy behind you bumped you, all you needed to do was smile and say, "Nice pants."

Mixing with other fans and watching them react (or not) is such a great part of the NCAA experience. Thanks for sharing.

One of them in our game took a fancy to Otto. At every timeout he would scream, "Dance, Round Man, Dance!" He also liked it when Otto pulled his arms inside his costume and swung the body part of the costume around like a spherical hula hoop. He told his friends Otto had gone from being one of his least favorite mascots to one of his favorites.

Awesome. This made me laugh as I could see my idiot friends acting the same way.

I was near the very back of an upper corner section last night, three rows from the wall. It was an interesting cross-section of people around me:

- To my right were a 40-something woman and her husband who were from Denver but rooting for Marquette. The woman knew her sports stuff decently, like that Carmelo was from Syracuse, then went to Denver and now the Knicks, but at one point she asked, "So, is Syracuse in Buffalo?" What? It took me a few seconds to figure out she thought it was like, oh, Canisius being in Buffalo. She didn’t know Syracuse was also a city.

- Right next to me on the other side were a guy and his wife who must have been there just for the hell of it, since they didn't appear to favor anyone and were wearing generic light blue shirts. I thought they were MU fans also but guess not. They just sat there and ate some wings and played on Facebook. An expensive night...

- Behind me were a bunch of frat boys from UVa who rode up to watch the game. They were rooting for Miami in the first game and completely confounded by the performance. They also booed loudly any time they showed Duke or Carolina on the big screen above center court (at timeouts they showed classic tourney moments). They mocked Tyler Hansborough and said he couldn't talk. One of them in our game took a fancy to Otto. At every timeout he would scream, "Dance, Round Man, Dance!" He also liked it when Otto pulled his arms inside his costume and swung the body part of the costume around like a spherical hula hoop. He told his friends Otto had gone from being one of his least favorite mascots to one of his favorites.

- In front of me was the calmest SU fan I'd ever seen. He just sat there and watched, and clapped now and then. But a couple times when I was standing up, I happened to see him texting or something on his rather large cell phone saying "OMG THIS IS AWESOME HOLY CRAP WE'RE KICKING IU'S ASSES." Thought that was funny.

- To my left were a couple other guys rooting for Miami. But they must have been fair-weather, because by the middle of the second half they had given up and one was opening shouting 'You suck, Miami!" Then he started this chant: "You can't spell SUCK without a U! You can't spell SUCK without a U!" Was that supposed to be specific to the University of Miami? Wouldn't it apply to any **U**niversity? Oh well.

- Finally, sitting behind me, near the frat boys, was an entire family of IU fans who showed up near the end of the Marquette game. They were fully decked out in pinstriped pants and jerseys. There was a mom, dad and several children ranging from 7-ish to teens. At one point the littlest kid told his mom, "That No. 1 guy can shoot, they have to guard him!" I felt bad for this little kid by the end, seeing his team go down like it did, but at least it was a decisive outcome and not heartbreak city.

On the way out, after the game, an SU fan was running around high-fiving others in Orange gear. He high-fived me, which apparently pissed off the middle-aged IU fan (looking lovely in pinstriped pants) behind me because he shoved me from behind and then glared at me. I thought he was going to try and hit me, but thankfully not. A slightly weird end to an amazing evening. No guarantees with Marquette on Saturday, but us SU fans will always have last night.

Good stuff!!!!

Did you respond with "You mad bro?" or "if only Zeller was that physical, you wouldn't be so angry right now"?

Thanks for the recap BTW. It's nice for us fans that couldn't make it.

I had a good mix of SU, IU and Miami fans around me...I was actually somewhat surprised that Miami had as many fans as they did. If I had to guess, crowd breakout was roughly 35% for SU and IU each, maybe 10% for MIA and MQ with the rest neutral.

In general, IU fans seemed to be more entranced with singing their songs and chants than they were with the actual game. I don't think many of them thought too much about the possibility of losing this game...in fact i'm not really sure what they were thinking, if they were even thinking anything at all...

Were you in 422? I was in Q -- right behind that family and those frat boys who, you're right, really took a shine to Otto. (They also disliked Rachel Nichols for whatever reason.)

Were you in 422? I was in Q -- right behind that family and those frat boys who, you're right, really to a shine to Otto. (They also disliked Rachel Nichols for whatever reason.)

Ha! Yes. I was in Row O. And yes they really did hate Rachel. lol that was weird. Were you the guy who kept telling SU to "stay calm" on offense, or something like that? I kept hearing something like that from behind me.

Guilty -- but not to be confused with the Orange fan next to me who was staring down one of those little Indiana kids -- who probably realized for the first time that not everyone is a Hoosier fan -- to which the father asked, "Are you seriously taunting a 7-year-old?" It escalated downhill from there -- and unfortunately the SU guy was completely in the wrong.

I'm taking my "stay calm"s to Section 409 tomorrow.

Awesome. This made me laugh as I could see my idiot friends acting the same way.
I thought everyone loved Otto cause he could do that. When you talk pros and cons about having an Orange as a mascot, Otto spinning himself around has to rank as the number one pro. Let's see the goober mascots from WVU and ND do that.

This thread is hilarious, after every game there should be a thread where everyone talks about interesting things that happened at games. The frat boys part had me cracking up, I can just hear Tyler Hansborough talking like a buffoon. The "Dance, round man, dance" remark is HOF material.

Thanks. And heh I am glad Todd Gack also happened to witness the fratboy shenanigans so you know I'm not making it all up.

I was all right with them after they clapped when Boeheim was introduced. They were not so kind to Gary Williams (on the Jumbotron) when they honored the Terps' championship team at halftime.

I feel like I should avenge you... What a dbag.

This would have been me had I gone to the game alone (which I have had to do a couple times before when my friends refused to travel...)

I thought everyone loved Otto cause he could do that. When you talk pros and cons about having an Orange as a mascot, Otto spinning himself around has to rank as the number one pro. Let's see the goober mascots from WVU and ND do that.
I'll put the somersaults that are meant to be a rolling orange right up there with the spinning. My wife (an Auburn University grad) loves Otto now.

Mixing with other fans and watching them react (or not) is such a great part of the NCAA experience. Thanks for sharing.
Well I almost got into a fight with a Pitt fan last year because he wouldn't let up about Bernie and Fab Melo. That was not a good experience but generally it is a great experience. Just like the BET, it's a very festive atmosphere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom