Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

According to what some people are saying, some of this story is falling apart, especially the Arizona issue. Timelines may not be matching up.

Yikes, if true I would think that lawsuits could follow. Pretty darn damaging if the published stories aren't true.

According to what some people are saying, some of this story is falling apart, especially the Arizona issue. Timelines may not be matching up.
The story is falling apart?

th

If ESPN got the wiretap story on Miller wrong. ESPN’s going to get killed in the coaching circle and in the college game.
I believe Yahoo has everything right as Thamel has the actual documents given to him.

ESPN did Themselves no favors in that regard. But I find it hard to believe that the whole story is fiction. I mean the coach is not coaching
I'm not saying the story is fiction. But it would be almost impossible for the coach to continue coaching until this is settled.

2 4 7 sports doesn't agree with the timeline. Who knows?
I'm so confused. I read the timeline article, but take a step back. Either they have a recording of his voice saying something about $$ or they don't. I'm not saying there is or isn't, but I would hope ESPN would not report something like that unless they could be positive. I'd love to know the context of the recording(if it exists), plus is it for sure Miller's voice? So many questions.

I'm so confused. I read the timeline article, but take a step back. Either they have a recording of his voice saying something about $$ or they don't. I'm not saying there is or isn't, but I would hope ESPN would not report something like that unless they could be positive. I'd love to know the context of the recording(if it exists), plus is it for sure Miller's voice? So many questions.

ESPN

I don’t think they have a recording. Supposedly those are under seal. I think they have a source and it’s probably Dawkins lawyer

I'm not saying the story is fiction. But it would be almost impossible for the coach to continue coaching until this is settled.
I guess I’d ask why...they cleared Ayton in about 30 seconds why not Miller?

I don’t think they have a recording. Supposedly those are under seal. I think they have a source and it’s probably Dawkins lawyer
Exactly. The other thing I would say regarding timeline is that there is no way they only gave the kid 100k. I'm sure they gave him stuff before that and told him they would give him 100k to commit. So if the money came after the verbal that makes total sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timeline thing. This story is great it cast out Sean Miller as a dirt bag and then now makes ESPN look like a crap outlet that runs stories they don't verify. Both things are true and I'm glad more people know about them.

I guess I’d ask why...they cleared Ayton in about 30 seconds why not Miller?

The trsnscript if it exists is proof of wrongdoing by Miller. Plus the wrong doing by Miller is directly attributable to the University as Miller is an employee. Plus his top recruiting assistant is actually under federal indictment.

The transcript isnt actually proof that Ayton did anything. The payments may not have ever been made. The next transcript may have caught Miller calling back to say Ayton is too much of a straight arrow to accept money, let’s give it to Quinnerly instead.

See Schalbach’s source has to be Hawkins attorney.
No chance a US attorney gave him the information and he didn’t get the date right the first time. At worst it’s nailed after the first correction there are still holes in the date of the conservation.

I think ESPN better clean this story up quickly or they have destroyed a guilty man improperly.

Miller is likely dirty. You just can’t do to him what they do in the name of journalism and survive.

The trsnscript if it exists is proof of wrongdoing by Miller. Plus the wrong doing by Miller is directly attributable to the University as Miller is an employee. Plus his top recruiting assistant is actually under federal indictment.

The transcript isnt actually proof that Ayton did anything. The payments may not have ever been made. The next transcript may have caught Miller calling back to say Ayton is too much of a straight arrow to accept money, let’s give it to Quinnerly instead.
I don’t disagree with any of that. But there’s a question out there as to whether it exists. There’s a serious date issue now in espns story.

For those people that say College (fill-in the sport of choice) players should be paid, then players who get paid for pay (cash or anything other than what is legally allowed like tuition, etc) would no longer be amateurs. They would be professionals. By all acceptable definitions, amateurs play collegiate sports, not professionals. If a player is a professional, they are banned from playing collegiate sports. This has been the way it has worked for at least 100 years. If a player is paid, then he should not be allowed to play in college.

If the consensus is that collegiate players are or should be getting paid then why not allow them go straight to their prospective professional leagues right out of high school. As a thought, if a high school player say a junior is so good, why not allow that player to skip his senior year and go straight to the pros. As we all know that there are reasons and rules why this is not allowed. If there are colleges, coaches or alumni that break these rules then the collective body should be punished appropriately in accordance with the violation.

Look at Syracuse. They and their coach were punished somewhat severely for what seemed like isolated issues. I am not saying that all violators should be punished as harshly but if they (everyone) all do it (thank you Lonzo Ball for admitting your guilt) then they all should be punished.

Those recruits that knowingly take money should also be punished. They should (and probably do) know what the consequences are and are willing to take the associated risks.

If I buy a Syracuse shirt with a #4 on it is that because of Rony Seikaly or David Johnson? Just wondering.
What happens if you just like Syracuse and #4 is your favorite number?

Really. After the JB/Bernie Fine fiasco you expect ESPN to act like journalists and get the facts right? :rolling:

You need more than one source to maintain journalistic integrity.
We're talking about ESPN here ... lol.

I don't see an issue with the timeline at this time. No one but the FBI and lawyers involved have a full accounting of what evidence they have and don't have. However, Sean Miller still isn't with the team. He either offered money or he didn't. My completely uneducated guess is that the lawyers are hammering out some kind of deal at this point: e.g., Miller can be fired for cause and take his ridiculous buyout, or he can stay on with the university's full-throated support that he didn't offer money, but his contract is modified so that if anything concrete is found by the NCAA he's done with no buyout.

We're talking about ESPN here ... lol.

I don't see an issue with the timeline at this time. No one but the FBI and lawyers involved have a full accounting of what evidence they have and don't have. However, Sean Miller still isn't with the team. He either offered money or he didn't. My completely uneducated guess is that the lawyers are hammering out some kind of deal at this point: e.g., Miller can be fired for cause and take his ridiculous buyout, or he can stay on with the university's full-throated support that he didn't offer money, but his contract is modified so that if anything concrete is found by the NCAA he's done with no buyout.
Those articles about his contract are dumb.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...-not-get-more-money-if-fired-cause/371709002/