Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Really. After the JB/Bernie Fine fiasco you expect ESPN to act like journalists and get the facts right? :rolling:

They improperly reported information early on in the deflategate saga as well. Jorgensen tweeted out incorrect info and took quite some time to retract it.

Personally, I think getting a gift of a $250,000 education is payment enough, but I guess that's just me.

You want a car and a free paycheck on top of that?
Yeah... If a scholarship is truly enough of a payment for these kids, then lets go to a system of offering the kids a choice of either profiting off of their own likeness, or just a scholarship. I think you'll find that about the top 25% of bball and fball players SCOFF at just a scholarship.

See Schalbach’s source has to be Hawkins attorney.
No chance a US attorney gave him the information and he didn’t get the date right the first time. At worst it’s nailed after the first correction there are still holes in the date of the conservation.

I think ESPN better clean this story up quickly or they have destroyed a guilty man improperly.

Miller is likely dirty. You just can’t do to him what they do in the name of journalism and survive.
I don't think ESPN cares about who's lives they destroy with the hearsay crap stories they run.

Yahoo and ESPN reporters going to battle. Forde says he and Thamel saw nothing about Miller in their documents, which - so far as we know - is a couple of spreadsheets.

So Forde is criticizing the other person running stories about the same thing he is. Shocking. It is possible that the only person involved who is a professional journalist is Pat Forde which would be absolutely shocking.

I don't think ESPN cares about who's lives they destroy with the hearsay crap stories they run.
11 of 12 footballs were significantly under inflated.
Chris Mortinsen.

ESPN doesn’t care if they are right it appears.

So Forde is criticizing the other person running stories about the same thing he is. Shocking. It is possible that the only person involved who is a professional journalist is Pat Forde which would be absolutely shocking.
Yeah I have to think this is sour grapes for getting scooped by ESPN.

I cannot fathom ESPN doesn’t have validated sources for the story. It’s too big. If they don’t and the story is wrong, game over. But there’s just too much smoke here.

Why doesn't this same sentiment apply to the schools? I see a lot of hand wringing about how student athletes should be grateful for the scholarship and are entitled to no more and if they don't like it don't play in college.

Ok, sure. But if you are going to be some kind of purist on the issue, why not apply it both ways?

By that, I mean, why is it that colleges have to profit from college sports? There's no intrinsic reason why sports have to be for profit. If they are student first, afterall, why does NCAA mens basketball have to be a multi billion dollar enterprise? Just because CBS/ESPN/whoever are willing to pay for the rights to televise the games doesn't mean the schools have to sell them at that right. The Masters and CBS have had 60 some odd consecutive one year contracts for CBS to televise the Masters - neither CBS or Augusta National Golf Club make money on the deal. As a result, there are very few commercials, as Augusta National gets to tightly control their brand and CBS is happy to have low cost programming and is content to just have the cache and exposure. Of course, August National is leaving a couple of hundred million dollars on the table, but they've decided they don't need the money.

Why do the schools have to make money on athletics? Surely they could charge a nominal amount to cover the expenses incurred by the school to finance the sports. Let professional sports be where all the money is - where coaches and players make a lot of money and there are fancy facilities. College is where the amateurs play and there is no need for the corrupting influence of money. Why do the coaches need to make millions? Why does there have to be an arms race on constantly upgraded perks and facilities? I mean, if a basketball coach isn't content to coach for $75k a year, then he can go be a pro or find another occupation, right?

I will take far more seriously the calls for the players to shut up and be happy with just a scholarship when the schools are content to not seek to exploit and monetize something that doesn't inherently need to be monetized (afterall, the schools are not for profit institutions! [except for Grand Canyon U I suppose])
Billy-D_Approves.gif

I'm so confused. I read the timeline article, but take a step back. Either they have a recording of his voice saying something about $$ or they don't. I'm not saying there is or isn't, but I would hope ESPN would not report something like that unless they could be positive. I'd love to know the context of the recording(if it exists), plus is it for sure Miller's voice? So many questions.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with ESPN's journalistic integrity.

Told ya it was getting messy and might be falling apart. Who knows what the truth is but there seems to be sides building about Arizona.

The "can't afford to eat" thing is such a lame take. These kids have unlimited meal plans, which usually include access to food at dozens of off-campus restaurants, fast-food places, etc. On top of that, kids now get between $2,000 and $5,000 a year on top of their scholarship to use however they please. There can be arguments made about why players should be paid, but the "kids go hungry" argument is BS.

Forde is completely out of line here.

The "can't afford to eat" thing is such a lame take. These kids have unlimited meal plans, which usually include access to food at dozens of off-campus restaurants, fast-food places, etc. On top of that, kids now get between $2,000 and $5,000 a year on top of their scholarship to use however they please. There can be arguments made about why players should be paid, but the "kids go hungry" argument is BS.

Yup. They had nice eating privileges at USC too when I was there. I definitely had “sandwich envy” as manleyzoo mentioned yesterday. We’re not even talking about the various hookups and comps they get around town under the table. Melo’s statement is a bit ignorant too, IMO. At USC now they have a free Uber account to use whenever they want as well. Do other schools or SU do that? Just curious. I know I struggled to put enough gas in the car at times when I was in school.

Last edited:
You need more than one source to maintain journalistic integrity.
glad to see you posted this. Part of the Business curriculum at SU back in the early 1960’s was a journalism course. I recall the prof TELLING us kids that a good journalist will verify his story from 3 separate sources before sending it to the editor.

Come on...he was a college student 14+ years ago for what? about 6 months? ;)

Yeah his comment was ridiculous. Athletes today at power programs have an abundance of food.

Last edited:
Come on...he was a college student 14+ years ago for what? about 6 months?

Yeah his comment was ridiculous. Athletes today at power programs have an abundance of food.

Athletes 25 years ago did too. Training table and a meal plan so generous it was nearly impossible to spend it all in a semester.