It’s Official… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Official…

I mean we are banking our entire basketball season on one off our most (possibly the most) disappointing recruits turning things around. The roster was gutted for the coaches kids stat lines and minutes.

I don't think football has to do much to surpass basketball at the moment tbh. Losing seasons are worth it though if certain players get 2 way NBA contracts and make the G league its nice to learn that expectations have been lowered that much.

For the record, I am not a “basketball only” or a “football only”. I’m a concerned alum that is watching the basketball program decline precipitously; and nothing being done to stop it. I am also seeing a football program that is building something that could be sustainable if external forces (poaching coaches with $, NIL situation, conference alignment) don’t have too large an impact.

We are the ones who are going to have to do the poaching at RB next year.

I think we are getting 2-3 years of White and Anae running O and D. Hopefully the right guy to replace them is on the staff as a position coach if either jump. I don't think we lose either to a lateral move.

You have to think Anae is happy to be here vs UVA where they didn't really do anything despite his offense and he has a climate controlled Dome to work with.

I think the basketball non conference schedule is soft enough that this year won't get ugly but we need a major change. JB was given a Final Four program when he took over. Its such a good time with all the turnover in the ACC in the coaching ranks we can't screw it up letting this continue or hiring an assistant.

I think that the only thing "official" is that this post is wayyyyyyy premature.

We had our first sub-.500 BB season last year (an only by one game) since before many board members were even born.

Nobody is happier than I am about our game last night, but a giant dose of perspective is in order. Yes, we beat a team that has had our number of late (who hasn't had our number?). But it is also a team that went only 6-6 in the regular season last year and lost their minor bowl game. It's not like we beat any of the teams that most consider to reflect the "tough" in the "tough 2022 schedule".

We need to do a LOT more this year AND continue it in the seasons to come before we can start breathing more easily about our football program. We all hope that it happens but to assume that it has already happened is fallacy.

I’m surprised that if you’re a big enough fan of one the sports (basketball or football) to post on a fan forum that you aren’t also a fan of the other sport. Didn’t know “onlys” existed on here.

That’s one of the best parts of being a college sports fan -get to support multiple sports

Football can absolutely pass hoops, football consistently wins and hoops flounders then it will pass it. I say they are about even at this point

The MBB program hasn’t been nationally ranked in the final AP poll in 9 years. It hasn’t been ranked at all in the past three seasons. It is not a nationally relevant program right now.
I don't think that can possible be true. We went to the final four in 2016. I would guess that we would have been ranked at the end of that season but maybe not.

We can’t because we refuse to give baseball a chance!!
used to have baseball but the team had to take a southern tour for practice in the Spring due to weather. It was too expensive and I may have been one of only ten fans watching during their last season.

Last edited:
The MBB program hasn’t been nationally ranked in the final AP poll in 9 years. It hasn’t been ranked at all in the past three seasons. It is not a nationally relevant program right now.
Much too strong. Going by that standard, our football team is a joke. No one for the most part respects us. No one. Read what the other coaches had to say about us in Athlons. We won one game. The hoops team had a losing season last year. First since Nixon was President. Let that sink in. And for the record, I don't care at all which one is stronger. I root for them both. But very few people would rank our football team over our hoop team

I don't think that can possible be true. We went to the final four in 2016. I would guess that we would have been ranked at the end of that season but maybe not.
I think he’s talking the regular season because we finished that year ranked 10th.

Syracuse Basketball and FSU football are a good comparison. Neither are what they were, but both are still nationally renowned for multiple decades of success and in the right situation both can easily return to national prominence..

Our football program the past 20 years is comparable to BC or Wake Forest basketball.

And I have season tickets to both.

I think he’s talking the regular season because we finished that year ranked 10th.

Syracuse Basketball and FSU football are a good comparison. Neither are what they were, but both are still nationally renowned for multiple decades of success and in the right situation both can easily return to national prominence..

Our football program the past 20 years is comparable to BC or Wake Forest basketball.

And I have season tickets to both.
He said the final ap poll. That isn't correct.

I’m surprised that if you’re a big enough fan of one the sports (basketball or football) to post on a fan forum that you aren’t also a fan of the other sport. Didn’t know “onlys” existed on here.

That’s one of the best parts of being a college sports fan -get to support multiple sports
At least the “onlies” aren’t like all the CNY douche’s who root for Duke or UNC in hoops and Bama or ND in football. Those people need to move.

Yes, is it SU fan v. SU fan now? Sheesh!!

At least the “onlies” aren’t like all the CNY douche’s who root for Duke or UNC in hoops and Bama or ND in football. Those people need to move.
So funny. Coworker of mine is a ND football fan and UNC bball fan. He’s annoying. How convenient. I’m shocked he isn’t a laker fan, patriot fan, and yankee fan.

We were, I'm confident of this without looking it up. I also think we snuck as a 25 in 2018 or 2021 after S16s, definitely one of those years and maybe both

Football has surpassed basketball again at Syracuse University.
Has never made much difference to me what the sport is- as long as it carries the name.
I’ll watch “SYracuse U Tiddily Winks” team if it’s on tv, and root for them too.

Last edited:
Title IX. What women's team would you add, or what men's team would you cut?

You could cut crew as far as I'm concerned.....never saw the point. Used to be work back in the days before gas powered engines, now its sport?

Alternatively, start a women's football program. If they truly want equal opportunity, than grant equal opportunity.

used to have baseball but the team had to take a southern tour for practice in the Spring due to weather. It was too expensive and I may have been one of only ten fans watching during their last season.

So LeMoyne can run a top program, but SU can't because the weather is so different up on the Hill?

Not to mention programs at Niagara, University of Buffalo, Canisius, Cornell, St. Bonaventure, Marist and Siena to name a few.

New York College Baseball Programs

Last edited:
Soccer. It’s glorified jogging.
Soccer is growing and growing. Baseball is dying.
If soccer is glorified jogging, baseball is glorified standing and spitting. (BTW I grew up loving baseball and will be venturing to Baltimore in 2 weeks to watch my Orioles, who I still follow.)
You probably are not aware of how big youth soccer is in the area. Far more kids play it than play baseball. Many play year round.

In case you didn't know, the student body and locals fill the stadium to overflow. The place can get pretty loud. There have been discussions of a bigger stadium and a grass pitch.

The men's team puts guys into the MLS on a consistent basis . One guy is a starter on the USMNT.

A baseball team would be a cellar dweller on a regular basis. No southern/western kid would want to come play in the rain and freezing cold when they have other offers.

Few students would go to watch baseball. Also, where would they play? I doubt the Mets would lease the field.

Lastly, that's only 9 scholarships freed up. Fully funded baseball is 11.7 scholarships. I assume that the ACC requires all sports to be fully funded. Also, the ACC would probably have to agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom