Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Well now I am questioning my memory. Rocco says that was Lesters title but I thought it was MacDonald.

Lester was the official "recruiting coordinator" last year. Acosta now has that title, along with WRs coach.

Mike McAllister‏@McAllisterScout 3m3 minutes ago
To summarize, Moreland is TE/OT coach, Adam is OG/C coach, Acosta is WR coach & recruiting coordinator.

wake, bc, pitt,Virginia, nc state are in the winnable category

Ok. fairly big step from "winnable" to "not that difficult" to beat.

Ok. fairly big step from "winnable" to "not that difficult" to beat.
only difficult to beat are fsu,lsu, and Clemson and possibly Louisville(not sure what they have coming back )

Bambrewer said:
You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

Yeah, we're bad. It's our nature. He could be a fine coach. But I think most everyone was looking for someone with Florida ties or maybe even the Virginia/Maryland area. We have enough coaches with Midwest connections.

Yeah, we're bad. It's our nature. He could be a fine coach. But I think most everyone was looking for someone with Florida ties or maybe even the Virginia/Maryland area. We have enough coaches with Midwest connections.
he has some south ties to Georgia /bama

My initial reaction was OMG another band member. After reading the first three pages of this thread, I decided to have a cup of coffee and think about it a bit. Now that I have my caffeine and am awake:
  1. I realize I have to view everything through the prism of a tight budget.
  2. I realize that we are limited in our choices as not all candidates will come here (yet).
  3. Perhaps not all the coaching changes have been made yet.
  4. Shafer believes in "letting his coaches coach."
With those caveats and the knowledge that I have no idea if Moreland can coach or not, I think this hire may say much about where we are headed.

This is Lester's hand picked hire and I think it means that he is planning on running the Elmhurst offense - not something new. (Why would Lester do anything different than what he knows?) I think it suggests that there will be no surprises - we will see a heavy offense with an emphasis on the run game together with a great deal of play action and perhaps, play option. Shafer is all in on his new plan (he won't get a change to have another).

Forgetting about my preferences, I can't say that this approach doesn't make sense. Shafer has given the reins of the offense to Lester with the full knowledge of what to expect. I think that is Midwestern smash mouth football. If you can't find the next Donovan, then beat them with numbers. Run 65 percent of the time, shorten the game and rely on defense to keep you in every game. No blowouts, couple of upsets and bowl games every year.

The recruiting changes and this coaching hire seems to be in concert with this view. Plenty of big lineman, tight ends and power backs in the MW.

I really want these these guys to succeed and I don't care how they do it.

wake, bc, pitt,Virginia, nc state are in the winnable category

What were the Pitt and BC scores from last season again...oh yeah, 30-7 and 28-7.

Wake and NC State I will agree to, Virginia was actually not that bad last year as they beat teams we were (Pitt) and would have been (Miami) smoked by. Problem is we will only play them something like every 10 years with the current conference schedule rotations.

So it will be more difficult that you think.

What were the Pitt and BC scores from last season again...oh yeah, 30-7 and 28-7.

Wake and NC State I will agree to, Virginia was actually not that bad last year as they beat teams we were (Pitt) and would have been (Miami) smoked by. Problem is we will only play them something like every 10 years with the current conference schedule rotations.

So it will be more difficult that you think.
last years scores mean nothing in those games with the absurd number of injuries forcing us to play a bunch of young guys

CuseOnly said:
What were the Pitt and BC scores from last season again...oh yeah, 30-7 and 28-7. Wake and NC State I will agree to, Virginia was actually not that bad last year as they beat teams we were (Pitt) and would have been (Miami) smoked by. Problem is we will only play them something like every 10 years with the current conference schedule rotations. So it will be more difficult that you think.

NC State will be tougher than UVA next year.

Shafer's job comes down to winning 3 of those 5 games, if you assume we win @USF and we lose the 4 big ones (LSU, Clemson, @FSU, @Louisville).

I think we struggle to win 4, which is why I'm more curious why the new TE coach even took the role. I hope SU set him up with a nice hotel.

You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

Just the minority of people bam. That think they are smarter than the coach. Which is why they are all D1 coaches. Oh wait. Let it slip away. By it is annoying. I love this staff. The kids love this staff. Go orange.

i for one am looking forward to a new offense that doesnt score- havent seen one of those in a good long while around here - the constant scoring starts to get real boring -

the dome will be empty if we run a boring win with defense game paln

Let SS have this hire at this point. If we don't win 6 games next year SS to be relieved of his duties as HC.

The only good was Acosta got a promotion to WR coach and should get a bump in pay for his recruiting. I hope he stays for awhile. Anybody who has any confidence in our ability to have anything more than an offense ranked in 60's next year is an eternal optimist.

SU football is going thru a transition. I wish SS well for the program but I am not optimistic about next year being better than 5-7.

God dude. You are ridiculous.

Chip said:
NC State will be tougher than UVA next year. Shafer's job comes down to winning 3 of those 5 games, if you assume we win @USF and we lose the 4 big ones (LSU, Clemson, @FSU, @Louisville). I think we struggle to win 4, which is why I'm more curious why the new TE coach even took the role.

For real - we should have just left the position open since it's a forgone conclusion that we will only win 4.

In seriousness - we almost beat NC State with our entire second team offense and an OC running someone else's system.

Jake Moreland, welcome to the Syracuse family!
Some thoughts:
~HCSS has every right to hire whomever he wants. He understands the stakes and also feels confident that his plan will work out in the end.
~no ties to Florida for recruiting; however Bama and Georgia are areas we have been mining recently.
~Tim Lester has been stressing bringing in TE's for his Offense; we didn't see that last season. What we saw was MacDonald's O and then Lester trying to salvage what he could.
~Being an assistant at one of the service academies means you know how to get the most out of the not as heavily recruited guys and seeking to recruit high caliber character players.
~Paying attention to posts, on this site, I read that Lester was spending more time in Florida recruiting
~Moving Bobby Acosta to WR coach, where he has loads of experience, plus making his RC are good moves within our current staffing.
~Let's all take a deep breath, relax, and see where this all takes us next season; these is plenty of time for complaining depending upon the outcome of 2015.

i for one am looking forward to a new offense that doesnt score- havent seen one of those in a good long while around here - the constant scoring starts to get real boring -

the dome will be empty if we run a boring win with defense game paln

Dome is already empty, winning...regardless of how will bring people back. Especially with our attacking defense being fun to watch on it's own.

TheCusian said:
For real - we should have just left the position open since it's a forgone conclusion that we will only win 4. In seriousness - we almost beat NC State with our entire second team offense and an OC running someone else's system.

I never said we shouldn't try to hire. I just said I was surprised someone took the job.

NC State is improving, did you keep paying attention to them? Now we go down there. We certainly won't be favored.

My biggest worry for next year is that we're completely changing the offense. Without elite talent that's almost always a multi-year process. Defense we have consistency in style, which is great, but lose what, 8 starters? That may be a 2 year project as well (but one I'd bet on).

I really do hope I'm wrong but I think 2016 sets up for us much better than 2015, but Shafer may not have enough time to get there.

Lester was the official "recruiting coordinator" last year. Acosta now has that title, along with WRs coach.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ‏@. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3m3 minutes ago
To summarize, Moreland is TE/OT coach, Adam is OG/C coach, Acosta is WR coach & recruiting coordinator.
I think most missed the point that Moreland coaches the TE's and OT.

Very surprising since many of the experts on here blame Adam for much of last season's failures. At least now he can only screw-up the interior OL.

I think most missed the point that Moreland coaches the TE's and OT.

Very surprising since many of the experts on here blame Adam for much of last season's failures. At least now he can only screw-up the interior OL.
Good point and I had the same thought. It seems unusual that the o-line responsibilities would be split and may say something about the confidence, or lack thereof, Shafer has in Adams. Or who knows, maybe Moreland is just a much better coach than we think. Or there is the possibility that it may be an indication of the style of offense Lester plans to run.