Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Chip said:
I never said we shouldn't try to hire. I just said I was surprised someone took the job. NC State is improving, did you keep paying attention to them? Now we go down there. We certainly won't be favored. My biggest worry for next year is that we're completely changing the offense. Without elite talent that's almost always a multi-year process. Defense we have consistency in style, which is great, but lose what, 8 starters? That may be a 2 year project as well (but one I'd bet on). I really do hope I'm wrong but I think 2016 sets up for us much better than 2015, but Shafer may not have enough time to get there.

They probably said the same thing after they finished 3-9 the season before last: " Syracuse is trending up after a 7-6 season, a bowl win, and we have to go to their place."

Good point and I had the same thought. It seems unusual that the o-line responsibilities would be split and may say something about the confidence, or lack thereof, Shafer has in Adams. Or who knows, maybe Moreland is just a much better coach than we think. Or there is the possibility that it may be an indication of the style of offense Lester plans to run.
I've seen this coaching breakdown before...maybe even here at SU. Hopefully it all works out.

I have a feeling that this isn't the last move we'll see. I'm holding out hope that someone with Florida ties pops into the picture.

They probably said the same thing after they finished 3-9 the season before last: " Syracuse is trending up after a 7-6 season, a bowl win, and we have to go to their place."
Hell...there are people on here that think Rutgers is trending upwards after their stellar 3-5 B1G campaign.

All anyone needs to do is listen to the parents (Bam, Kelly) of some of the current recruits. The players love this staff as demonstrated last season by how hard they played right to the end.

For obvious reasons, I'd really love to see the staff right the ship. An added bonus would be the silencing of many of the clowns on here.

TheCusian said:

Here's to hoping Brissett goes down with a season ending injury. We need that game.

God dude. You are ridiculous.
If you think what I said is ridiculous that is your constitutional right. However, whatever dude you keep buying SS stock as their is plenty a available. I want SU FB to do well but the pathetic offense last year was horrible.
We have scored 30 points against P5 teams 2 times in 21 games and one of those two times we scored 2 defensive TDs.
I said no need to criticize this hire as next year is. SS do or be fired season. I like Acosta getting a promotion this TE hire is meh.

My god if you want sunshine and rainbows don't read my posts. I give my opinions and they tend to be very reasonable whether you agree or not.

So now there are 2 guys lacking in OL coaching experience instead of 1...

I just don't get all the optimism on here. What have you seen to make you think this year will be any different then last year?

A decrease in the amount of injuries will change things? Has anyone heard about anything changing S&C'wise that makes you think that the same issues won't come up again? Last year wasn't as freak a year as people are implying. It goes back a few years.

So now there are 2 guys lacking in OL coaching experience instead of 1...

I just don't get all the optimism on here. What have you seen to make you think this year will be any different then last year?

A decrease in the amount of injuries will change things? Has anyone heard about anything changing S&C'wise that makes you think that the same issues won't come up again? Last year wasn't as freak a year as people are implying. It goes back a few years.
Well, the first half of the year, the OL played very well. What was it, 2 sacks in 5 games? Hunt goes down, AJ has no pocket awareness because he's never actually played in a game before, and the OL looks bad. Hunt had a weird way of extending the play and knowing when to tuck and run. And on top of that, was really hard to bring down. Good QB play can help the OL out, the same way good OL play can make your WRs look better, etc. Next year is exciting to think about. Lots returning on offense, and I think the "new" guys on the OL got enough experience in 2014 to exceed early expectations. The new schemes will hopefully be fully operational by August.

The more i read about this guy the more i like him. Leaving a 150k a year job in CO Springs for Syracuse is not easy to do. Trust me living in CO upstate NY cant hold a candle other than the summer fall. Airforce is a hell of a program so his coming to work for Shafer and Lester speaks volumes about them. I think what we have going for us in recruiting has just been enhanced. As to George he sucked as a coach. Period. And i dont think he was all that special in recruiting. We will be fine in Florida. Building on the family feel is important. I have a good feel about this guy.

The more i read about this guy the more i like him. Leaving a 150k a year job in CO Springs for Syracuse is not easy to do. Trust me living in CO upstate NY cant hold a candle other than the summer fall. Airforce is a hell of a program so his coming to work for Shafer and Lester speaks volumes about them. I think what we have going for us in recruiting has just been enhanced. As to George he sucked as a coach. Period. And i dont think he was all that special in recruiting. We will be fine in Florida. Building on the family feel is important. I have a good feel about this guy.
You may be right, but I don't know how you make such a valuation about McDonald sucking as a coach. None of us are in practice watching these guys do their jobs so how do we really judge? A lot of more experienced industry people seems to think he is a good coach and recruiter. He is probably going to kick our butts recruiting at NC State. If you think it is tough competing with CO, the same applies to NC versus upstate (unless you like cold and snow).

kcsu said:

Yet the guy never has a problem getting hired. He may have been over his head as an OC but I've never heard he couldn't coach nor recruit.

I like this hire. Here is why:

Acosta is now elevated and put into a position where he is back to his comfort zone and empowered for recruiting purposes as well.

We bring in a guy who has an incredible amount of coaching TE experience and we are shifting to an offense that relies much more heavily on TEs.

Barring SU football having a new billionaire benefactor, I'm happy with this choice.

We aren't a destination school for coaches. We don't have a giant trust fund for the football program.

Scream and kick all you want, but we have to find the magic formula with guys like this (and I don't mean that as an insult).

Let's go Orange!

There are 13 players on the Air Force roster from Georgia. I don't know if these were all his recruits or what his area of recruiting responsibility was. But if it was Georgia I feel much better.

EDIT: ok, they have a kid committed for this year's class from GA and he was recruited by coach Clay Hendrix. Soooo, there's that, but I suppose it doesn't confirm anything.

Last edited:
Yet the guy never has a problem getting hired. He may have been over his head as an OC but I've never heard he couldn't coach nor recruit.

He certainly has incredible recruiting connections, but he was certainly WAY over his head as OC here. As for being a positional coach, it's hard to say as we haven't really seen him as one.

Not having a QB here will make any WRs coach look like an idiot. Here's to hoping Acosta doesn't look like a positional dummy next year...

In 10 months there will be one hell of a MAC coaching staff available.

What is the point of this type of post? If you already think this staff is going to fail in 2015, walk away now.

I understand this staff isn't made up of coaching thoroughbreds, but it's the staff that is coaching our team. Let's support them and withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September.

Cannot wait for the next staff...unbelievable.

Dude - I understand the disappointment that they did not hire a coach that is "blazing trails", but if you think about how he fits into the new offensive scheme, it makes more and more sense. We are employing a bigger look with an increased emphasis on TEs. This guy was a TE in college and briefly in the NFL, and has now coached TEs for several years. He brings in a lot of experience at that position, which will undoubtedly add value. Whether or not that value will equate to wins remains to be seen.

Please just try to refrain from the "sky is falling" attitude. It's not.

Dude - I understand the disappointment that they did not hire a coach that is "blazing trails", but if you think about how he fits into the new offensive scheme, it makes more and more sense. We are employing a bigger look with an increased emphasis on TEs. This guy was a TE in college and briefly in the NFL, and has now coached TEs for several years. He brings in a lot of experience at that position, which will undoubtedly add value. Whether or not that value will equate to wins remains to be seen.

Please just try to refrain from the "sky is falling" attitude. It's not.

With all due respect - if they don't make a bowl this year, the sky is falling. Hope the hire works out. Going to give it and Lester a chance. But the proof is in the pudding, and this offense needs to produce next fall.

Whitey23 said:
So now there are 2 guys lacking in OL coaching experience instead of 1... I just don't get all the optimism on here. What have you seen to make you think this year will be any different then last year? A decrease in the amount of injuries will change things? Has anyone heard about anything changing S&C'wise that makes you think that the same issues won't come up again? Last year wasn't as freak a year as people are implying. It goes back a few years.

Yes. A decrease in the amount of injuries would change things. Especially at QB. There is evidence - two seasons ago.

Every team has injury issues - last season was worse than ever. I think it's due to McDonald trying to train for up tempo, failing - and then us trying to win with smaller linemen, quicker linemen. When you can't block for a true freshman QB - disaster.

Crusty said:
You may be right, but I don't know how you make such a valuation about McDonald sucking as a coach. None of us are in practice watching these guys do their jobs so how do we really judge? A lot of more experienced industry people seems to think he is a good coach and recruiter. He is probably going to kick our butts recruiting at NC State. If you think it is tough competing with CO, the same applies to NC versus upstate (unless you like cold and snow).

Really? The two seasons of horrible offense, bad play-calling, and so-so recruiting wowed you huh?

SUFan44 said:
With all due respect - if they don't make a bowl this year, the sky is falling. Hope the hire works out. Going to give it and Lester a chance. But the proof is in the pudding, and this offense needs to produce next fall.

I'm fine with this outlook; it's the "we're already doomed" posts that are silly.