Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

From the TEs & OTs players perspectives that we have and the ones the have recruited, as a player I would be very excited about having him as a coach. Plus all the WRs will be happy with Acosta as WR coach. With Lester as QB coach and OC, Lester has all of his coaching staff pieces in place - and I think Adams was one of his too and now his focused has narrowed to the inside.

However with that said, we cannot accept excuses anymore. I get the 2014 injury bug, but now it's on Lester to show us something in 2015. He's been up in the box working with Hunt in recognizing defenses last year so to me all of the players needed to improve the offense are there too. The S&T program changed under GMc and I sure hope they go back to what worked in the past.

If Hunt is healthy and we get one of those "free agent" QBs from Penn St or Houston to add to the stable of QBs then I have hope.

TheCusian said:
I think it's due to McDonald trying to train for up tempo

That was the reason for our injuries??

Yes. A decrease in the amount of injuries would change things. Especially at QB. There is evidence - two seasons ago.

Every team has injury issues - last season was worse than ever. I think it's due to McDonald trying to train for up tempo, failing - and then us trying to win with smaller linemen, quicker linemen. When you can't block for a true freshman QB - disaster.
And shame on Will Hicks and staff for not developing the proper S&C techniques to prevent "lower body" injuries to OLmen when they get rolled-up on.

Last season was the confluence of worst case scenarios. Hopefully there is a huge paradigm shift come spring practice. The one constant has been the players positive attitude and effort.

I just know that there is a sleeper all world QB waiting to be discovered in Sudbury or Sault Ste Marie.

What is the point of this type of post? If you already think this staff is going to fail in 2015, walk away now.

I understand this staff isn't made up of coaching thoroughbreds, but it's the staff that is coaching our team. Let's support them and withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September.
I appreciate this point of view, and largely agree with it. But you have to admit, to the large irrationally orange tinted glasses portion of the board (I'm not saying you are one of those), the "withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September" will turn into "the season has just started and the offense needs time to gel" which will turn into "Lester just needs time to grow into the position, he'll be fine" by October and "oh man if not for this penalty and that drop and this interception these 3 games that looked like blowouts were really toss ups" in November. By the end of the season they will be saying how such good people the coaches are and we are lucky to have them and they should get another year because next year is the one it all comes together.

My broader point is that there is equal folly in being fatalistic and blindly optimistic (not referring to you Rocco, I think you are one of the more level headed ones around). Moves can be evaluated in time and context, while at the same time acknowledging the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. Having doubts about a move/hire does not make one a bad fan, and blindly shouting down any opinion short of absolute support does not make one a superior fan.

I'm on record as doubting this hire. I find it concerning that he has spent over ten, mostly unremarkable, years coaching TE's and has not had his services sought by other schools. I find some of the justifications written here to be hilariously forced and pained. But the bottom line is that I do hope he succeeds. However, it is possible to hope for the best and to expect the worst.

Yeah, we're bad. It's our nature. He could be a fine coach. But I think most everyone was looking for someone with Florida ties or maybe even the Virginia/Maryland area. We have enough coaches with Midwest connections.
That is the main point. Moreland actually looks like a very good position coach but everyone here realizes it is important to be strong in FL. The plus I saw was he might have some decent ties in AL and GA...that is important. Both states can be great secondary feeder areas.

Alright, if the following website is correct, there aren't that many remaining potential hires who Shafer worked with at WMU:
http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=204948128

Brian Rock (unemployed?)
Mike Sullivan (OL coach with the Titans)
Clayton White (RB coach at UConn)
Paul Williams (DB coach at the U)
and Bill Cubit, of course

How can someone named Brian Rock be unemployed ? That's just down right un-American. The WWF is calling you Brian.....

I'm not a huge fan of recruiting the midwest (other than Ohio), but let's not forget, the greatest QB in Syracuse history came from that area.

Now, we just have to find his long lost nephew who also happens to be an awesome dual threat quarterback.

That is the main point. Moreland actually looks like a very good position coach but everyone here realizes it is important to be strong in FL.
That's pretty much 100% why I wanted Casullo as our next hire. Creating a true pipeline to a school like St. Thomas Aquinas...man.

I know we still could, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier with Rocco in the fold.

That's pretty much 100% why I wanted Casullo as our next hire. Creating a true pipeline to a school like St. Thomas Aquinas...man.

I know we still could, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier with Rocco in the fold.
Are you sure he isn't in the fold?

Maybe after February 4th Eric White follows McDonald to NCST and Rocco replaces him. Hey, ya never know.

Really? The two seasons of horrible offense, bad play-calling, and so-so recruiting wowed you huh?
I thought we were talking about his abilities as a coach and not OC. He had one season of recruiting and did pretty well.

Zero regional recruiting connections

And

He has tons of regional recruiting connections, just not In the area that all the apperent college coaching legands on this board think they should be in.

And passing stats fall more on the qb and wr coach. Having pass catching tight ends is great if they can also run block. This coaches tight ends blocked for the 9th best rushing attack in the country last year. That is a cool 88 spots higher than ours last year. With the RB talent coming in I really hope we tailor the offense to them. This hire will help that immediately.

I'm not a huge fan of recruiting the midwest (other than Ohio), but let's not forget, the greatest QB in Syracuse history came from that area.

Now, we just have to find his long lost nephew who also happens to be an awesome dual threat quarterback.

That nephew was the top player this year...on defense for the Canadian Jr. World Championship hockey team.

And farther below Lake Ontario
Takes in what recruits Lake Erie can send her
The Cuse coaches go as the board posters all know
With the losses of November remembered

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the offense turns the minutes to hours?

Honestly, how can people be disappointed in a solid coach for a position we didnt know we were hiring? Are people upset because he's not a name they've seen mentioned here? Because no one even discussed a new TE coach knowing we weren't letting Acosta go and thus the convo was all about potential WR coaches vs moving Acosta over. If we'd discussed potential TE coaches this guys name wouldve been mentioned.

What were the Pitt and BC scores from last season again...oh yeah, 30-7 and 28-7.

Wake and NC State I will agree to, Virginia was actually not that bad last year as they beat teams we were (Pitt) and would have been (Miami) smoked by. Problem is we will only play them something like every 10 years with the current conference schedule rotations.

So it will be more difficult that you think.[/QUOTE

The greatest fullback came from that area also.

I appreciate this point of view, and largely agree with it. But you have to admit, to the large irrationally orange tinted glasses portion of the board (I'm not saying you are one of those), the "withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September" will turn into "the season has just started and the offense needs time to gel" which will turn into "Lester just needs time to grow into the position, he'll be fine" by October and "oh man if not for this penalty and that drop and this interception these 3 games that looked like blowouts were really toss ups" in November. By the end of the season they will be saying how such good people the coaches are and we are lucky to have them and they should get another year because next year is the one it all comes together.

My broader point is that there is equal folly in being fatalistic and blindly optimistic (not referring to you Rocco, I think you are one of the more level headed ones around). Moves can be evaluated in time and context, while at the same time acknowledging the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. Having doubts about a move/hire does not make one a bad fan, and blindly shouting down any opinion short of absolute support does not make one a superior fan.

I'm on record as doubting this hire. I find it concerning that he has spent over ten, mostly unremarkable, years coaching TE's and has not had his services sought by other schools. I find some of the justifications written here to be hilariously forced and pained. But the bottom line is that I do hope he succeeds. However, it is possible to hope for the best and to expect the worst.
Fairly said. This is a fan forum - "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged". I think most things are OK except the "go follow another team stuff". There are all shades of Orange colored glasses, some darker than others but all Orange.

Do we even know if Rocco wants to move north? He's got a family now and his wife is from Florida...

I keep seeing his name thrown around as a reason to gripe but if the guy doesn't want to move to NY it's kind of hard to hire him.