jalen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

jalen

It’s funny how defensive people are of Carey now that he didn’t get any run today...kind of ridiculous...Carey may very well play at some point but he’s clearly got to work his way back...

We have one of these guys every year it seems .. rock Lloyd .. lesean Howard .. mccroskey , beetle juice ..

You are correct every year players are beat out by players who play better.
It’s almost like you recruit over people. God forbid people who complain we don’t get enough “talent” like to see it when it happens to a kid they like

Honestly, JB is guilty of professional malpractice if he took a kid that isn't good enough to play against Seattle, and started him in the opening game of the year against UVA!! UVA????

I mean, he even sat Buddy in the midst of his great play last year when Va Tech appeared on our schedule because he knew he wouldn't be able to handle the D and it might crush his soul.

Malpractice!!!!

He accused Syracuse fans of being biased towards Girard because he’s from Upstate NY.

Meanwhile he’s from NYC and his only posts are crying his eyes out about Jalen.
God forbid if Joe played poorly last night. He would have had calluses from all the typing.

Honestly, JB is guilty of professional malpractice if he took a kid that isn't good enough to play against Seattle, and started him in the opening game of the year against UVA!! UVA????

I mean, he even sat Buddy in the midst of his great play last year when Va Tech appeared on our schedule because he knew he wouldn't be able to handle the D and it might crush his soul.

Malpractice!!!!

I can see a degree of validity in your argument, however, your malpractice remark obviously is an hyperbolic hot take. The argument I would make to counter yours is that Buddy was still a frosh, whereas Jalen is a soph.

Malpractice!!!!

As smart and experienced a coach as JB is, I don’t think he has the power to look into the future and determine how good or bad a player will be in a given game.

I’m starting to think that JB critics on here have personal issues with authority and this is just an opportunity to strike back from a position of anonymity.

I can see a degree of validity in your argument, however, your malpractice remark obviously is an hyperbolic hot take. The argument I would make to counter yours is that Buddy was still a frosh, whereas Jalen is a soph.

At this point I'm just sort of enjoying the hypothetical nature of these arguments, as I think we're a rather poorly constructed team...and I couldn't watch yesterday's game so I have no strong views on JGIII yet.

I suppose my concern at the moment is that this "JC is awful narrative," and he seems like he is as a PG if we're being honest, will be validated solely by the fact that we're going to run into a game where JGIII struggles (likely against better D) and then we go to JC, who also struggles, but without the benefit of doing some damage against the likes of......Seattle HS.

So, it is a bit strange to elevate one kid into the starter's role, give him all the minutes against the crap team, whom hopefully everyone will deal with rather well, and then expect the benched kid to jump back in and thrive...with the opportunity to do so being based on practice, which almost assuredly is where he must have won the job in the first place???? No? Because if he didn't, then what are we doing exactly? Token starters...randomly assigned...and then benched because that token strategy has a 2 game expiration? Just seems all rather strange and misguided.

Anyway, maybe JC is a bad kid who lost his mind after the Colgate game.

Still, just for the record, more in it for the debate, than any concrete opinion at this point. Too early for that. :)

As smart and experienced a coach as JB is, I don’t think he has the power to look into the future and determine how good or bad a player will be in a given game.

I’m starting to think that JB critics on here have personal issues with authority and this is just an opportunity to strike back from a position of anonymity.

I've read your posts before and I know that's not true...JB absolutely has that power.

That logic makes no sense. It is the team on the floor who is actually jeopardizing the win in the first place by letting the other team make the run...
It makes plenty of sense. Your comment needs to be thought out a little better. So when the Yankees went down in the last game of the series they should have emptied the bench? There are ups and downs, you play who you feel puts you in the best position to win.

When my son was playing AAU basketball I sat next to a mother who was incessantly criticizing the coach. She criticized the pace of play ”why are they slowing down” etc. I think her world was limited to what she saw of her sons games. The coach was a multi year JUCO coach of the year. She reminds me of many posters here.

I just find it odd that the past two (2) "higher"/similarly rated "PG" recruits we have had have had identical results when they arrive.

In looking at the game objectively, the only conclusion you could draw is that the team is better with Girard in the lineup. Boeheim has seen them both for the last couple months, including the trip to Italy and games this preseason. I don't make it a habit to criticize SU players but Jalen has been a disappointment so far. His shooting is suspect and his forte, drives to the basket, have frequently resulted in blocks.

In contrast, Girard has a pretty tight handle and is a vastly superior shooter that is already getting the ball up the court on fast breaks way better than we've seen the last year or two. He is not as long as guards that we have traditionally played at the top of the zone but makes up for it with quick hands and willingness to get on the floor for loose balls. A lot to be excited with his play.

As for Boeheim's comments at the press conference, I recall that it was in response to a question from the press. I have seen much worse in his assessments of players and not really sure why it is always a big topic of discussion. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. He can also be unbelievably loyal to his players that get criticized by the fans so it works both ways.

That logic makes no sense. It is the team on the floor who is actually jeopardizing the win in the first place by letting the other team make the run...
Exactly

While I agree with your logic at face, you may want to consider that before this game JG3 was not a starter and thereby seen as a "lesser" by JB. Players are not static, they change from game to game and even during games. Even JB must have heard the term "hot hand" during his career.

My intent with this post isn't to knock JB, but it also isn't to knock those who have knocked him for this based simply on the logic he used in the explanation. Certainly there are other factors that we may not be aware of that are involved, and are not confined to the logic he used.
Sometimes, people are anointed starters by virtue of seniority, or other intrinsic reasons. Maybe, in practice, he was better than JG3. Whatever the reasons, JC was given the opportunity to seize the job. He didn't.

At this point I'm just sort of enjoying the hypothetical nature of these arguments, as I think we're a rather poorly constructed team...and I couldn't watch yesterday's game so I have no strong views on JGIII yet.

I suppose my concern at the moment is that this "JC is awful narrative," and he seems like he is as a PG if we're being honest, will be validated solely by the fact that we're going to run into a game where JGIII struggles (likely against better D) and then we go to JC, who also struggles, but without the benefit of doing some damage against the likes of...Seattle HS.

So, it is a bit strange to elevate one kid into the starter's role, give him all the minutes against the crap team, whom hopefully everyone will deal with rather well, and then expect the benched kid to jump back in and thrive...with the opportunity to do so being based on practice, which almost assuredly is where he must have won the job in the first place???? No? Because if he didn't, then what are we doing exactly? Token starters...randomly assigned...and then benched because that token strategy has a 2 game expiration? Just seems all rather strange and misguided.

Anyway, maybe JC is a bad kid who lost his mind after the Colgate game.

Still, just for the record, more in it for the debate, than any concrete opinion at this point. Too early for that. :)
I know of nothing I have read about JC that would ever indicate he was a bad kid. That said, he may have had words with JB. IMO, depending on how it was handled, that's ok. In fact, a competitor would question the coach.

Daddy issue's.

All need to understand Seattle is a powerhouse from the days of Shawn Kemp they have never fallen!

Every possession was crucial and if Jaylen had played we would’ve lost!

All need to understand Seattle is a powerhouse from the days of Shawn Kemp they have never fallen!

Every possession was crucial and if Jaylen had played we would’ve lost!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Jalen played 4 games in Italy with the starters, in practice, the exhibitions, and UVA. He's seen the court plenty. JB probably wants to give Girard some time to play with the main guys to get some continuity with the starters so we are ready down the line.

It's interesting people are worried about Carey, but did not feel the same way when something similar happened with Frank in 2016. In all reality JB probably should have made the move to Gillon sooner. This is why I think you're seeing Girard play as much as he is even when the game is already decided.

If Jalen was still starting and Girard was seeing limited minutes off the bench, some of these same people whining about “short leash” would be whining about “anointed starters” and wanting more Girard.

Some sports fans don’t have anything in their repertoire beyond complaining about everything they can complain about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom