jalen | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

jalen

you have described the one point guard play he made adequately, but the point is he does not do enough not that he can not occasionally make a play.
Simply not true. I watched the game this afternoon. If I could pull up the video, I'd flipping show you. Buddy was worse the first 8 minutes. No hook for him. One has trust the other doesn't. Not sure why (and I'm not talking about the family relationship). I'm sure there is a lot more going on, but banishing a kid to the bench and not giving him his second half start, which is SU tradition, indicates to me that something did happen.

All kidding aside, I was watching the game and wondering if the stupid clap and stand tradition actually contributes to that. I can't imagine any player wants to hear that go on for 5 minutes.
You’re just starting to wonder about this now?

This is not complicated. JG3 is considerably better than JC and deserves the starting spot (and majority of time as PG).

JG3 dribbles better, distributes better, makes better decisions, shoots much better (which creates lanes for penetration), hits free throws with ease, and most importantly, has the confidence and swag that is necessary to lead a team.

Carey can have a role, albeit most likely in a full court press situation

Just had a thought on Carey I haven't seen expressed before. JC does what he has seen prior to him getting the job. JG3 is doing what he did before he came here. Need JC to watch JG3 to get all the ball pounding, slow walking up the court, and passes back out to another guard out of him.

We made a run when Girard came in against Virginia too. Might have won or it would have been closer for sure had he started. This wasn’t a one game sample size.
I am not sure there ever was a run against Virginia but the team started to play better when Joe G got in the game. Of course we have another shot against UVA in a couple of months so we will see if we got any better. The entire Carey thing is in his court. He can listen to the coach and work his way back into PT or he can pout his way to the end of the bench.

As smart and experienced a coach as JB is, I don’t think he has the power to look into the future and determine how good or bad a player will be in a given game.

I’m starting to think that JB critics on here have personal issues with authority and this is just an opportunity to strike back from a position of anonymity.

Do you realize how insane what you just wrote is ? (Of course you don’t or you wouldn’t have written it)

The notion that being critical of a coach (whose results sure haven’t been up to snuff for a supposed nastional power recently ) MEANS you have an issue with authority in general is pretty hilarious.

there can be no criticism of dear leader at all without there being some level of pathology on the side of the critic per your stance .. none ..

you didn’t say “some of the critics” or “over the top critics” ...In full character you broad brushed it to every single critical statement.

As far as “striking back from a position of anonymity”...congrats on at least some modicum of self awareness

As smart and experienced a coach as JB is, I don’t think he has the power to look into the future and determine how good or bad a player will be in a given game.

I’m starting to think that JB critics on here have personal issues with authority and this is just an opportunity to strike back from a position of anonymity.

FWIW. JB in his post conference after one of the games said he watches players all summer and practice and knows who to play.

So I think Ghost has a valid point.
I do think JB is working through game day players which I don't think practice tells the whole story.

This is not complicated. JG3 is considerably better than JC and deserves the starting spot (and majority of time as PG).

JG3 dribbles better, distributes better, makes better decisions, shoots much better (which creates lanes for penetration), hits free throws with ease, and most importantly, has the confidence and swag that is necessary to lead a team.

Carey can have a role, albeit most likely in a full court press situation
Girard is a flat out better leader. You can see it on the court.

FWIW. JB in his post conference after one of the games said he watches players all summer and practice and knows who to play.

So I think Ghost has a valid point.
I do think JB is working through game day players which I don't think practice tells the whole story.
remember howard washington's mom railing on twitter about someone going to jb's office and getting promises while other's just worked hard? it's not hard for me to believe now that carey extracted a promise to get the starting gig as a condition of not transferring. and, man of his word, jb gave him his shot. but only a shot . . .

(it's also machiavellian but smart to let the guy you know you're going to replace start against uva, rather than the freshman whose confidence you don't want to risk damaging this early in his career)

Simply not true. I watched the game this afternoon. If I could pull up the video, I'd flipping show you. Buddy was worse the first 8 minutes. No hook for him. One has trust the other doesn't. Not sure why (and I'm not talking about the family relationship). I'm sure there is a lot more going on, but banishing a kid to the bench and not giving him his second half start, which is SU tradition, indicates to me that something did happen.
Unlike you, I have attended every game, and Carey"s play has been woefully inadequate. People keep saying what a great defensive player he is, I have not seen that to be the case. His greatest advantage is being athletically better, but that does not necessarily make a better basketball player, and frankly his basketball skills are limited. I have seen a player that is somewhat selfish, lacks shooting ability, is a barely adequate passer, and frankly is not very good playing as part of the team.
He has potential to improve, but I have not seen much improvement in the time he has been with the cuse. I wish it were otherwise.
He is. to me, serving a suspension from JB for a reason we know nothing about nor should we, but something happened at halftime. He will get more chances, assuming he does not blow up all his bridges. It is not a good sign, if true, that he has deleted all reference to SU on his online accounts. His bench attitude is not good. It seems he has maturity issues and believes he deserves more because of his recruiting status, he does not until he proves it with his play.

No you couldn't, because that's not what my post said.

To summarize, i said i think there are better ways to motivate players than public shaming. You said that is a “meaningless” statement because we dont know what the results will be. You then state it is possible that all else has failed and jb is trying a different approach.

your logic is that my statement is meaningless because we dont know how jalen will respond to jb’s tactics or alleged tactics. First off, that doesnt make any logical sense. There is plenty of things we dont know with certainty in life and still comment on or hypothesize about. Second off, if it did, your rationalization is also equally meaningless because we dont know that jb’s tactics in public shaming will work.

more importantly, lets not ignore what this is really about—jb’s ego in not getting questioned about his rotation. I actually dont think the answers in the presser are about jalen as much as jb’s authority. If you have questions whether thats true, i recommend you listen to brent axes recent interview with jb about what a short leash is. you call the take corny but i expect you will provide a more corny explanation for that. But sure, maybe jb is a master manipulator who is trying to reach jalen through the press. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:
To summarize, i said i think there are better ways to motivate players than public shaming. You said that is a “meaningless” statement because we dont know what the results will be. You then state it is possible that all else has failed and jb is trying a different approach.

your logic is that my statement is meaningless because we dont know how jalen will respond to jb’s tactics or alleged tactics. First off, that doesnt make any logical sense. There is plenty of things we dont know with certainty in life and still comment on or hypothesize about. Second off, if it did, your rationalization is also equally meaningless because we dont know that jb’s tactics in public shaming will work.

more importantly, lets not ignore what this is really about—jb’s ego in not getting questioned about his rotation. I actually dont think the answers in the presser are about jalen as much as jb’s authority. If you have questions whether thats true, i recommend you listen to brent axes recent interview with jb about what a short leash is. you call the take corny but i expect you will provide a more corny explanation for that. But sure, maybe jb is a master manipulator who is trying to reach jalen through the press. Thanks for the laugh.

It's not "master manipulation" it's "basic psychology." The fact that you thought it was the former tells us a lot about why you can't grasp the concept.

The rest of your message is you misquoting yourself and me, so it's impossible to respond to. I don't know why you think that's an effective strategy for making a point. Does that work on your dumb friends? You need to get smarter friends.

What you ACTUALLY said, and what I responded to was this:

"I offer that you can get the same results without the press conference stuff."

That's a nonsense statement because it suggests there are no people who respond to public pressure. If you believe that, then you're just oblivious. I don't know what to tell you. It might light a fire under him or it might not. We don't know yet. So we can't make a judgment on what the "results" are.

You've changed that slightly to now say:

"i think there are better ways to motivate players than public shaming."

First off, "public shaming"? You're awfully delicate if you think saying a player didn't give us the best chance to win and needs to work harder in practice is "public shaming." Beyond that, you have zero clue about the best way to motivate a player. The best way is the way that works. Some people need positive reinforcement, some need to be challenged, some need to be humbled. Obviously what the coaches have tried for the last year hasn't worked, so it's possible this is a tactic to try and wake him up. It's odd that that idea makes you laugh, yet you find your own mindreading (that this is about JBs ego) perfectly rational.

I'm done here. You can have the last word to misquote me and then stumble over yourself trying to make a point.

i realize this is a private pissing match & i don't want to get in the way, but 2 points:
To summarize, i said i think there are better ways to motivate players than public shaming.

I think the above is a gross misstatement of what actually occurred

more importantly, lets not ignore what this is really about—jb’s ego in not getting questioned about his rotation.
this is an assumption & mere assertion on your part; plenty of people will not see it that way at all

Yeah, horrible starts are kind of Syracuse's 'jam' to steal from the kids these days. Been doing it for awhile. All kidding aside, I was watching the game and wondering if the stupid clap and stand tradition actually contributes to that. I can't imagine any player wants to hear that go on for 5 minutes.

I'd like to see Girard and Carey get some minutes together. Our reliance on Buddy for big minutes is going to hurt defensively.
If players are bothered by that, they are at the wrong level.

If players are bothered by that, they are at the wrong level.
Dude. Come on, these are 18-19 year old kids. You know they are bothered by less important things.

i realize this is a private pissing match & i don't want to get in the way, but 2 points:

I think the above is a gross misstatement of what actually occurred

this is an assumption & mere assertion on your part; plenty of people will not see it that way at all

i agree with the second part and fine w that. Just not my position being called meaningless.

It's not "master manipulation" it's "basic psychology." The fact that you thought it was the former tells us a lot about why you can't grasp the concept.

The rest of your message is you misquoting yourself and me, so it's impossible to respond to. I don't know why you think that's an effective strategy for making a point. Does that work on your dumb friends? You need to get smarter friends.

What you ACTUALLY said, and what I responded to was this:

"I offer that you can get the same results without the press conference stuff."

That's a nonsense statement because it suggests there are no people who respond to public pressure. If you believe that, then you're just oblivious. I don't know what to tell you. It might light a fire under him or it might not. We don't know yet. So we can't make a judgment on what the "results" are.

You've changed that slightly to now say:

"i think there are better ways to motivate players than public shaming."

First off, "public shaming"? You're awfully delicate if you think saying a player didn't give us the best chance to win and needs to work harder in practice is "public shaming." Beyond that, you have zero clue about the best way to motivate a player. The best way is the way that works. Some people need positive reinforcement, some need to be challenged, some need to be humbled. Obviously what the coaches have tried for the last year hasn't worked, so it's possible this is a tactic to try and wake him up. It's odd that that idea makes you laugh, yet you find your own mindreading (that this is about JBs ego) perfectly rational.

I'm done here. You can have the last word to misquote me and then stumble over yourself trying to make a point.

i just want to point out that youre an idiot and the misquoting argument is nonsensical and unconvincing and that plenty of people agree with me. Sorry you cant handle that there is an opposing argument.

All I can tell is with Girard in there...there are more opportunities for Marek and Sidibe. That is a good thing. The team is a threat to make 3's from more than one or two players now. I want guards who can make FTs at .85% clip too.

Girard is our PG for the rest of the year and likely the next three seasons after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom