JB has spoken | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB has spoken

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But when it's rooted in 1/10th the info a player or JB has - it's not really worth much.

To make an informed opinion on someone's future you'd need the other 9/10ths of what they are weighing. I used to counsel high school and college kids and about 90% of the time my job was to listen to all of the things they were weighing. And even then I was loathe to present my opinion. It's better for them to own it.

So yeah - I think your ability to judge a decision "stupid" or not is severely flawed.

This is were you and I disagree. I think everyone's opinion should be respected even if we do not share it. But we live in age where opinions are considered facts equal to truth. And opinions we do not agree with are lies or "wrong".

I'm not sure we are in agreement. Fan's opinions are important. You need fans to make money. The NBA is a form of entertainment. There's no reason for a star to publicly ever snub fan no matter what the fan is saying. You want people to buy the shirt with your number on it.
Dave, I remember discussing this with you at the time. Mali was being bombarded with comments and simply wanted people to back off and let him make his own decision about his future. His intention wasn't to disrespect his fans, it was to send a message to those who were behaving like anything but fans. I saw nothing wrong with what Mali did at the time and still feel the same way.

Jb got paid for doing his job. If jb was getting that $ regardless then mali didnt make him . . . . . Also, cuse gave mali a platform. I dont bash the kids decision but jb didnt either. Read what the man said and dont infer what you want into it to support your flip flopping positions. Some of you act like such little drama queens on here. Its unreal.
JB said he believes kids who go in the 20s should return if they can move up. He also said "In the last few years, 15 to 30 picks, about 60 percent of those players end up in the D-League,"
What can't you infer?
He said nobody knows whee is Malachi is going to end up.

Why is it so hard to read his comments at frustration. JB talks like a fan. It is good for the media and because he is retiring soon he doesn't have to care but it doesn't mean people can't question it.

Wow, that would be a disaster but I'd be surprised if that's what happens.
Donte Greene had a better freshman season and was a better prospect than Malachi in my opinion. That doesn't mean Malachi can't have a better NBA career but I think it illustrates a shift in a trend toward younger players in the draft. Green

And if you look at all the mock drafts there are about 25 different players projected as lottery picks. I love Malachi and enjoy watching him play. But since I don't watch D-League games I'll have to be patient and hope Malachi survives his 2 years of anonymity and is able to contribute to an NBA team eventually.

Dave, I remember discussing this with you at the time. Mali was being bombarded with comments and simply wanted people to back off and let him make his own decision about his future. His intention wasn't to disrespect his fans, it was to send a message to those who were behaving like anything but fans. I saw nothing wrong with what Mali did at the time and still feel the same way.

I totally understand his position. And I totally get it that it was an a hole thing to do by the fans posting to his twitter feed. However, as I've said, he should have ignored them in my opinion. I'm not going to change my opinion. That's my opinion. He should have ignored them.

Donte Greene had a better freshman season and was a better prospect than Malachi in my opinion. That doesn't mean Malachi can't have a better NBA career but I think it illustrates a shift in a trend toward younger players in the draft. Green

And if you look at all the mock drafts there are about 25 different players projected as lottery picks. I love Malachi and enjoy watching him play. But since I don't watch D-League games I'll have to be patient and hope Malachi survives his 2 years of anonymity and is able to contribute to an NBA team eventually.

I thought CJ Fair would rise out of the D-League. He played very well in the D-League. I also though Kris J would do something in the NBA. Malachi seems to have more potential than those two. I would hate to see him end up in the D-league though but it did not seem to hurt TE. We shall see.

That would infer a 50/50 proposition so it appears, as the phrase goes, you wont put your $ where your mouth is.

IDK, the standard bet is 50/50, so it would appear I am putting my money is where my mouth is, no?

I would hate to see him end up in the D-league though
Why? You don't want to see someone being paid to hone their craft? Not every kid who is drafted becomes an All-Star. It's incredibly difficult to just make the D-league and the NBA is shifting more and more to that model. Why have a talented kid they're interested in stay in college and develop just so that they can be drafted by another competing team the following year?

People are weird. I think everyone has the absolute right to use their talent in the way that they see fit to earn a dollar. You seem to think Malachi doesn't have the faculties to make a decision regarding his talent and his life. Should someone have made your decisions for you? Chad Ford and "the media" aren't driving anything or influencing squat. Neither are the other draft experts. NBA scouts and GMs, people who are professionals, don't give two sh!ts what he posts. If anything they leak him a few things over beers. If Malachi is getting lottery buzz and a first round guaranteed that's the result him working hard and impressing people.

JAB should just thank him for playing at SU, giving his all, and wish him well.

JB is old school.

For most of his coaching career, players generally didn't leave after one year. If this had happened more frequently earlier in his career, I'd venture to guess that JB might have left for the NBA.

He's not changing the way he thinks now.

Melo, Dion, Wes were finished products.

The rest of these guys...

Mali has an inconsistent shot and not quite there yet finishing. Lots of dives and shaky attempts at the rim last season. Not a finished product but potential for sure.

I don't see why an NBA team would "be honest" with a kid. They need as big a draft as possible and have a D League to stock now.

And JB wants one last run - heck we were hot on getting a Euro rental in here. Stuff like this must drive him mad.

Dave85 said:
But the UVA game he played really well. He's going to be a first rounder. Chris Ford said so.

Who is Chris ford?

Assuming your are being sarcastic, I was not saying someone's else's opinion was false. Yes, I would love to know what playing in the D-league does for player's success in the NBA versus staying in school for another year in terms of total career earnings. It's difficult data to collect and analyze. Yes, I want the facts to shape my opinion. I hope that gives me some shred of respect in your mind.

Fair enough. I thought your first free sentences were pretty loaded, though. And don't think you can compare all D league players because they're not created equal ...ie there's a difference between a guy who's a free agent and a guy signed to a guaranteed contact with an NBA team.

I think college fans look at things through the prism of the college game... And it's not the way that guys like Mali do.

Who is Chris ford?
Former Celtics, 76ers, Clippers HC Chris Ford. He was a good 3 pt shooter on the 1981 Celtics NBA championship team.
upload_2016-5-18_10-7-33.jpeg

I don't see why an NBA team would "be honest" with a kid.
What do they gain by lying to a prospect? A warm body who they don't think can play in the NBA? They can get that by drafting anyone who comes out. The NBA teams devote a lot of money to their GMs and talent evaluation to make sure they acquire talent that can bring them wins. If they want to draft Malachi, it's because a team's talent department thinks that he could help the team and has value. Just like JAB and Syracuse do. The problem with college sports is that they can't offer even a fraction of what the NBA can in terms of paying for that value.

What do they gain by lying to a prospect? A warm body who they don't think can play in the NBA? They can get that by drafting anyone who comes out. The NBA teams devote a lot of money to their GMs and talent evaluation to make sure they acquire talent that can bring them wins. If they want to draft Malachi, it's because a team's talent department thinks that he could help the team and has value. Just like JAB and Syracuse do. The problem with college sports is that they can't offer even a fraction of what the NBA can in terms of paying for that value.

Flood the zone, if they pull an inside straight so much the better.

I loathe all the cautionary tales through the years of kids ""chasing their dreams." Hopefully this works out for the kid.

When was the last time JB make a nice comment when one of our guys left early?

Why? You don't want to see someone being paid to hone their craft? Not every kid who is drafted becomes an All-Star. It's incredibly difficult to just make the D-league and the NBA is shifting more and more to that model. Why have a talented kid they're interested in stay in college and develop just so that they can be drafted by another competing team the following year?

I'd rather see him play immediately in the big show so his chances of getting a second contract are greater. Don't you think that's a good thing? It just seems like a lot of guys never make it out of the D-league. It would be nice to have real numbers crunched on the number of players who succeed once they've been relegated to the minors.

Here is my real question...If we don't beat UVA and Richardson doesn't have an amazing second half does he even test the waters? Is him going pro even an option? He had ZERO NBA buzz before the second half versus UVA. He was considered an inconsistent freshman. That played out in the tournament also very inconsistent but I have to believe if we didn't make the second half run against UVA he would be back. Amazing what one outstanding half of basketball can do for a kid.

Here is my real question...If we don't beat UVA and Richardson doesn't have an amazing second half does he even test the waters? Is him going pro even an option? He had ZERO NBA buzz before the second half versus UVA. He was considered an inconsistent freshman. That played out in the tournament also very inconsistent but I have to believe if we didn't make the second half run against UVA he would be back. Amazing what one outstanding half of basketball can do for a kid.

That's a great question. Not sure that we'll ever know the answer, but clearly that second half stretch against UVa is what catapulted him into the limelight. Deep contested threes, drives to the basket, hustling defense, heady fakes, etc. It was alike a 6 minute highlight reel.

This isn't accurate. OrangeDW had a post showing Richardson had 42% from 3 in ACC play. Outside of the St. John's stinker he was pretty good. While I don't think Malachi showed enough clearly the NBA scouts felt otherwise.

He may have come back or the scouts could have told him the same things and he would have gone anyway without getting to a Final Four.

I think the kid wanted to go the entire time and once he got the info he was looking to hear he was gone.

Last edited:
This isn't accurate. OrangeDW had a post showing Richardson had 42% from 3 in ACC play. Outside of the St. John's stinker he was pretty good. While I don't think Malachi showed enough clearly the NBA scouts felt otherwise.

He may have come back or the scouts could have told him the same things and he would have gone anyway without getting to a Final Four.

I think the kid wanted to go the entire team and once he got the info he was looking to hear he was gone.

JB was right, in my opinion. Chris Ford blowing air up his skirt may hurt him. We shall see. I hope he goes first round. I like Malachi's hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom