JB has spoken | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB has spoken

How do you explain Ford as the only one blowing air? It would have been nice if the other draft projections agreed with his predictions. I just hope at this point Mal does not get disappointed. As fan, I am thoroughly thankful for him getting us to a Final Four. I just wish him all the best at this point. But I have to admit, I am worried even before JB's comments.
CBS Sports mock draft after the lottery had Malachi in the 15-40 range and him going 25th to the Clippers. Calling Malachi one of the high risers in the draft.

Gary Parrish had him going 20th.

Malachi is going to go first round. I doubt he would have gone without knowing something.

CBS Sports mock draft after the lottery had Malachi in the 15-40 range and him going 25th to the Clippers. Calling Malachi one of the high risers in the draft.

Gary Parrish had him going 20th.

Malachi is going to go first round. I doubt he would have gone without knowing something.
The problem is that other kids have left knowing something only to be very disappointed.

I have no opinion on the data. Let the data speak for itself. But blanket opinions on entering the draft early versus staying in school could be qualified to overall total career earning success. That piece of factual information, as opposed to emotionally driven opinions, might be very useful to a young man making a difficult decision.

There's no way to show this data. For example, CJ Fair stayed in school and didn't get drafted. If he leaves after the final four run, does he get drafted? Maybe, maybe not?

Does Grant become a top 10 pick if he stays another year?

That's not exactly what I said but I am kind of random so yea. Don't you think though if you had picks in an upcoming draft and you were an NBA GM you would have a list of the top 50-60 players and have some idea of who your targets were? Plan A, Plan B, etc. depending on how where your picks ended up being. If it were my job, I sure would. DraftExpress has Richardson going 37th as of this morning.
*Edit: Correction it appears the DraftExpress list is from Sunday, even though strangely it seems to have the teams in the correct order.

If JB says they're not yet focused in on this, then I believe him and not your intuition.

In my business experience, we didn't waste alot of time doing things twice. When it was time to do the Operating plan, we did it. When it was time to do the Long Range plan, we did it.

We didn't waste time doing these things continually all year. Especially in a dynamic world.We devoted time to tasks when we had to and when the best information was available.

So to me, JB's scenario sounds plausible and yours does not.

He was at the combine and talked with nba guys. maybe another person talked to other nba people. where he has mali going is his opinion only. but he's basing on what he heard. call it an informed opinion. if you think he's JUST blowing smoke, then you have to say he is lying in his article when talking about what nba people were telling him about mali.
maybe hes not lying.

maybe hes talking the guys who liked darko or bargnani??

or greene, Flynn & fab??

Love JB but seriously, stop it. Malachi is projected as a possible lottery pick.
And his point is that Ennis was also projected as a lottery pick and was taken 18th. And almost all of the SU people going early were not taken anywhere near ther so called projection. He pointsout that Mali is rising in the draft without even working out.

The problem is that other kids have left knowing something only to be very disappointed.
Other kids weren't 6'6" guards with 7' wing spans and shot 42% from 3 pt range in the top conference in college basketball and have the ability to get to the rim.
Malachi is too appealing to a team in the 20s. I wouldn't leave but this kid is a lot smarter than many here would think.

Smaller guards or big with less skill are different. Malachi will interest a team for sure. I could see him going anywhere to be honest. I looked at the last lottery picks for the last 5 years and none of them were thought to be lottery picks. NBA teams are dumb and unpredictable. Unlike Jerami Grant you see the offensive ability in Malachi's game.

maybe hes not lying.

maybe hes talking the guys who liked darko or bargnani??

or greene, Flynn & fab??
How could you leave out the immortal Knicks draft pick Maciej Lampe. Chad Ford gave the Knicks the steal of the draft getting that guy in the 2nd round. He thought Lampe was a top 10 pick.

Ford isn't lying he is fed information by agents/GMs for misinformation. He is an unlikable version of Peter Gammons/Jon Heyman/Adam Schefter.

This is where Calipari is way better at the PR game. Rather than talk about how misinformed he media is, he'd talk about how people are starting to come around and understand just how good his players are and what kind of NBA futures they have.
And calipari is more concerned about himself and his team than he is about the kids.

And calipari is more concerned about himself and his team than he is about the kids.
I think part of why Cal is unique is that he doesn't see those things as mutually exclusive.

Other kids weren't 6'6" guards with 7' wing spans and shot 42% from 3 pt range in the top conference in college basketball and have the ability to get to the rim.
Malachi is too appealing to a team in the 20s. I wouldn't leave but this kid is a lot smarter than many here would think.

Smaller guards or big with less skill are different. Malachi will interest a team for sure. I could see him going anywhere to be honest. I looked at the last lottery picks for the last 5 years and none of them were thought to be lottery picks. NBA teams are dumb and unpredictable. Unlike Jerami Grant you see the offensive ability in Malachi's game.[/QUOTE
I didn't say i disagreed with Mali. I said that kids have been told things that have turned out not to be true.

There's no way to show this data. For example, CJ Fair stayed in school and didn't get drafted. If he leaves after the final four run, does he get drafted? Maybe, maybe not?

Does Grant become a top 10 pick if he stays another year?

Hypothetical is not real data. I meant comparing people who stay versus people who go early versus total career earnings. I was not suggesting time travel or alternate Universe analysis.

Mali has almost no shot at the lottery but without a doubt will be first round. I guess 20-26

If JB says they're not yet focused in on this, then I believe him and not your intuition.

In my business experience, we didn't waste alot of time doing things twice. When it was time to do the Operating plan, we did it. When it was time to do the Long Range plan, we did it.

We didn't waste time doing these things continually all year. Especially in a dynamic world.We devoted time to tasks when we had to and when the best information was available.

So to me, JB's scenario sounds plausible and yours does not.

Youre the strangest poster on this board

In defense of JB for the most part HIS 2 and done's and getting drafted higher and his one and done's:

One and Done's
Carmelo #3 (2003) Third contract set for life future HOFer
Greene #28 (2008) out the league
Ennis #18 (2014) we will see
CMac #29 (2015) we will see
Mali ???

Two and Done's
Flynn #6 (2009) Out the league injured hip never fully recovered
Waiters #4 (2012) Will get second contract this summer (max deal?)
Fab #22 (2012) Out the league
MCW #11 (2013) ROY injured (big season for him next year)
Grant #39 (2014) we will see

Higher draft picks A) get more money on their rookie deal B) generally get more opportunity to fail or hopefully succeed. Waiters is just now coming into his own but if he was the 18th pick would he have been given this much time to develop? You also have to keep in mind that Waiters in only 7 months older than Gbinije and Malachi is 20 years old now. Age absolutely matters!

In defense of JB for the most part HIS 2 and done's and getting drafted higher and his one and done's:

One and Done's
Carmelo #3 (2003) Third contract set for life future HOFer
Greene #28 (2008) out the league
Ennis #18 (2014) we will see
CMac #29 (2015) we will see
Mali ???

Two and Done's
Flynn #6 (2009) Out the league injured hip never fully recovered
Waiters #4 (2012) Will get second contract this summer (max deal?)
Fab #22 (2012) Out the league
MCW #11 (2013) ROY injured (big season for him next year)
Grant #39 (2014) we will see

Higher draft picks A) get more money on their rookie deal B) generally get more opportunity to fail or hopefully succeed. Waiters is just now coming into his own but if he was the 18th pick would he have been given this much time to develop? You also have to keep in mind that Waiters in only 7 months older than Gbinije and Malachi is 20 years old now. Age absolutely matters!

Very nice post.

Mali has almost no shot at the lottery but without a doubt will be first round. I guess 20-26

That would be very awesome for the young man! I hope you are right!

Hypothetical is not real data. I meant comparing people who stay versus people who go early versus total career earnings. I was not suggesting time travel or alternate Universe analysis.

My point is "GO EARLY" is strictly hypothetical. We have no idea what going early truly means outside of not staying for 4 years.

Technically, Ben Simmons is going early.

My point is "GO EARLY" is strictly hypothetical. We have no idea what going early truly means outside of not staying for 4 years.

Technically, Ben Simmons is going early.

Well, I'm not a data geek. But there are guys who can create cubes of data based on year left, draft rank, ppg, games played in d-league, minutes played in NBA, salary, bla, bla, bla. My point is if someone did a real data analysis it would be interesting to know from factual data if there's a particular path from college to NBA that has the greatest return on investment. I don't know what it is and I don't know if the analysis is possible. I just know deep data mining and data analytics are used by companies for all kinds of useful insights. We have some pretty crazy data crunchers posting stuff on this site. I'm just too lazy to even try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom