JB on McC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB on McC

Unbelievable JB continually talks negatively about players. There are people on this board who don't like talking bad about college players, but here is our HOF HC who continues to publically embarrass an 18 year old kid.

All kids don't respond the same way to this harsh treatment. Maybe try another approach? Then again when has he tried that? I've had 2 issues with JB. His refusal to use a bench, and the way he treats his players. Just look at what he did to Rak for 3 years. He needs to give it a rest.
This is exactly right, and dovetails nicely with an article in the Wall St. Journal today about how the Oregon football coaches communicate and coach their players without yelling.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/oregon-...-team-1420663969?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLE_Video_Top

"In a move that may send football traditionalists into a sideline meltdown, Oregon coach Mark Helfrich and his staff have ditched the age-old technique of screaming at players to motivate them. Instead, Oregon’s coaches have implemented a softer, less confrontational and altogether cuddlier method of running their team."

"Oregon’s nonaggression policy isn’t limited to players. Offensive coordinator Scott Frost says that the spirit of civility extends to the coaching staff, where the lowliest graduate assistants are treated with the same deference as top members of the staff. “Guys in our program don’t get yelled at and treated like they are beneath the coaches,” Frost said. “There’s more enjoyment and laughing in our building than almost any football building in the country.”

"Instead of a chain of command with the head coach at the top, Oregon’s coaches, players and administrators are viewed as equals and collaborators. “Every single member of this team is seen as a leader in their own way,” said center Hroniss Grasu."

Go read the full article. It raises interesting questions on how the current younger generation communicates, and how best coaches can reach them. Oregon football is certainly doing something right.

Do you mean whipping boy, because pariah just does not fit? I think he probably is trying to make the kid realize he is not ready in any way for the NBA, doubt it works, but it would be best for his future if he were to get stronger and become a better player before putting a foot in the NBA waters.

That would be better, yeah. Me no English good right now.

I wonder what Bill Self and Kansas fans are saying about Cliff Alexander. Or what they should be saying.

I can't imagine they're very pissed bud.

b4m2Wnl.png

I can't imagine they're very pissed bud.

b4m2Wnl.png

Those stats you expect from the #3 ranked player in the country.

Look some ranked directly behind him Karl Towns, Stanley Johnson.

those are just sterling #s for a top 5 recruit. bud.

He's efficient and and putting up good numbers for his minutes. Self had a system in place from the beginning of the season, when he saw Cliff' learning style and ability, and decided to employ a strategy where he played the long game, and he's slowly increased his minutes week by week. Seriously, go look up his efficiency stats, he's drawing nearly 9 fouls per 40. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: Edited to add that through the first month of the season, Alexander had more minutes than Embiid did last season.

CuseHulk said:
I wonder what Bill Self and Kansas fans are saying about Cliff Alexander. Or what they should be saying.

I'm willing to bet if you google "Bill Self Cliff Alexander" there are 500 less articles about Bill Self trashing his freshman.

Czar said:
He's efficient and and putting up good numbers for his minutes. Self had a system in place from the beginning of the season, when he saw Cliff' learning style and ability, and decided to employ a strategy where he played the long game, and he's slowly increased his minutes week by week. Seriously, go look up his efficiency stats, he's drawing nearly 9 fouls per 40. It's ridiculous. EDIT: Edited to add that through the first month of the season, Alexander had more minutes through the first month of the season than Embiid did last season.

And he wasn't starting.

That he's been not playing up to his potential.

someone should put his feet to the fire on this crap on his radio show tomorrow night

on the SU flagship station? Unlikely

#3 player in the country is not starting ? Is Paul Pierce playing in front of him.

Two Juniors. One being Perry Ellis, the other being Jamari Traylor.

I bet in practice behind closed doors that Coach says the exact opposite type of stuff to Chris. I'd almost bet on that. I think he probably tells Chris to take what he says to the media with a grain of salt. At this point, I think Jimmy is still trying to poke at the media who said Chris was a sure in lottery pick. Behind closed doors his relationship with Chris is probably more positive than we are lead to believe. That's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

I bet in practice behind closed doors that Coach says the exact opposite type of stuff to Chris. I'd almost bet on that. I think he probably tells Chris to take what he says to the media with a grain of salt. At this point, I think Jimmy is still trying to poke at the media who said Chris was a sure in lottery pick. Behind closed doors his relationship with Chris is probably more positive than we are lead to believe. That's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

Or Hopkins or Autry says it.

Or Hopkins or Autry says it.

Given Scoop's "White Dad" name for him I'm sure Hopkins and Boeheim have a good cop/bad cop thing going on.

eh, JB is trying to get him to play well enough this year to salvage this year - nothing beyond that
except that we have semi-hooked up board insiders telling us that there is a lot more to it than that

Czar said:
Given Scoop's "White Dad" name for him I'm sure Hopkins and Boeheim have a good cop/bad cop thing going on.

I've heard that Hopkins is a screamer in practice.

on the SU flagship station? Unlikely
it's a live call in show . . . I would do it myself but I have an engagement tomorrow night

except that we have semi-hooked up board insiders telling us that there is a lot more to it than that
well those "insiders" are saying CM has one foot out the door, and has said as much since last summer... so I'm saying JB knows this and is resorting to anything/everything to get the most he possibly can out of CM for this, his audition season

I do agree with this. If he's not working hard in practice, sit him. If he's not producing in games, sit him. Don't just trot him out there because of who he is. If you don't think he should be starting based on the way he's performing, don't start him.
Exactly! What could be more discouraging to other guys on the team than to see a guy sandbagging it and yet being trotted out as a starter with mucho PT and producing Nada while out there w/o hustle or effort? I feel for guys like BJ. Isn't the book on him somewhat the same as Chris M? Needs to bulk up and gain some weight? Sheesh, at least if BJ puts one through the hoop it would likely be for 3 pts. Chris can't score from point blank at this point. Tonite's showing was beyond pathetic. Best recruit since Melo?... really? NFW or if so we've really had a dearth of talent 'round these parts.

I've mentioned this before, but I think JB's playing a dangerous game here. Really gotta question if this public stuff really serves McCullough or JB.

I don't get the ire over McCullough wanting to be a one and done player. So what?

if JB is intentionally trying to keep CM out of the draft, then I think its a pretty clear indication that he thinks Bryant is not going to sign up.

Trying to scare him out of the draft? He can't break 3 points in a game against the bottom of the barrel acc teams and he is 6'10 to boot! he isn't even justifying starting over Roberson at this point...roberson can out rebound him while being 3 to 4 inches shorter than him. If he would declare for the draft after putting up these numbers he would be beyond foolish.

People gave donte Greene tremendous crap for leaving early and he was a thousand times more ready than Chris is at this point in his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom