Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a wait and see kind of guy.

So many on here have already decided that we’re in the Patriot League, the sky has fallen, our booster is gone, and we’ll never even sniff the tournament again.

Maybe let’s see what happens. The portal is a good thing. NIL is a good thing. I’m sorry it’s on a down swing in the mind of the fans, but I seem to recall a McDonalds all-american committing not long ago.

Let’s see what happens. Best of luck, Jesse.
I agree, what we lack is coordination, and I believe that can be rectified. But, it takes all parties coming together for the good of the athletics programs and the university, because they work hand in hand. Right now things are a mess. Egos have to be put to the side and all parties have to recognize the benefit of NIL contribution, no matter how it is delivered, so long it is in within compliance. Compliance is a gray area, but the fact that things are public and social media is involved, while being unattractive to the traditionalists, is where we are and can be utilized to strengthen the Syracuse brand and benefit both the athletic and academic sides of the university.

He hasn’t even done his interview or announced where he’s going yet - this thing could be going well over 100.
200.gif

I agree, what we lack is coordination, and I believe that can be rectified. But, it takes all parties coming together for the good of the athletics programs and the university, because they work hand in hand. Right now things are a mess. Egos have to be put to the side and all parties have to recognize the benefit of NIL contribution, no matter how it is delivered, so long it is in within compliance. Compliance is a gray area, but the fact that things are public and social media is involved, while being unattractive to the traditionalists, is where we are and can be utilized to strengthen the Syracuse brand and benefit both the athletic and academic sides of the university.

The university just needs to figure out who they are, before they move forward. Work on yourself before you springboard back into the dating pool here.

You want the millions of donor dollars, but don’t want the baggage. Find ways to benefit all parties, do it within the rules (lol, rules), and keep the University ahead of the curve.

Otherwise…. We’ll see where they end up

The university just needs to figure out who they are, before they move forward. Work on yourself before you springboard back into the dating pool here.

You want the millions of donor dollars, but don’t want the baggage. Find ways to benefit all parties, do it within the rules (lol, rules), and keep the University ahead of the curve.

Otherwise…. We’ll see where they end up
I think we know who we want to be, we want to be a player, so let's do it. Seriously, Adam makes sure he is within compliance. I know that is a fuzzy area, but many schools do less in insuring compliance. If we want to be a major basketball and football school, we should allow Adam to operate as he has been. It may be distasteful to the traditionalists, but it will appeal to the future students and especially the potential student athletes, all while being within the rules as they are currently. And, he will adjust as needed as the rules change.

Can you shed any light on what the happened and how we just lost our fifth year senior leader to another program? Do you get the sense that we’re way behind on NIL fundraising? I believe you’re connected to alumni fundraising. Losing Jesse is simply devastating. To many posters, it just seems like we’ve been caught flat footed and completely unprepared for what was going to unfold this off-season with NIL. But mostly: How can we ever expect to retain talent if they’ll just go make more money at another program?
I'm done with that part of SU. I termed limited out. But I know how some people at SU are, and really don't have a lot to say here. Also I keep confidences as just that, confidential.

The bottom line is NIL is here to stay, and will have growing pains for everyone. Some programs who are not playing by the rules may eventually get caught, and there is a learning curve with anything new.
I am not concerned. Players are going to rotate in and out of programs. Some mentioned loyalty above. There is no more loyalty, and I can say that as an old 68 year old that has strong values, but am not stupid. Money would weigh into my decisions. It may not be the only factor, but it is certainly something that needs to be looked at. No one has a guaranteed NBA career...NO ONE. Even the best are a serious injury away from their career ending.

As far as Jesse. We don't know exactly what happened. Things have been "reported" Was it a straight dollar amount? Was it how we were able to structure a deal at a said dollar amount for a foreign player? Do we know that our coaching staff felt that the dollar amount was appropriate? Maybe another player will be worth more. We don't know that the funds were not available. Maybe it is a negotiating strategy. No one knows except for 2-3 people. Everyone else is guessing...

Now, I am going to point out a good side to this. Players will stop jumping early to the NBA because they will make good money by staying in school. Whether at the same school or another school, and eventually there will be plenty of players available for our program. Going back to the issue of staying loyal to a program. We are an unknown right now. We have a new coach, a new philosophy and probably a new style of play. I say this as a huge proponent of Red. This is just a part of the change and the growing pains. Come back and ask all of these questions after he has coached for 2-3 years. There will be more loyalty when the product is a known commodity.

Joe and Jesse were the leaders of this past seasons team. They were not good enough and each had a ceiling to their ability that was not good enough for the team to excel. Joe can't play defense and can't create his own shot as a 2 guard. Jesse got bodied out by every decent center he came up against. Not near enough production from the pick and roll as he couldn't get through the lane. He also needs a lot of work on man defense if that what they are going to play some. I enjoyed them both as players but their time is done. The rumours that they may get $1 Million combined in NIL money is a real mind f. Just looking forward to the team Red creates. I've got a feeling he isn't done. I'm sure I'm an outlier but I never expected or wanted either Joe or Jesse back.

Sad to say, but this is merely another affirmation that Syracuse is no longer a top tier program and is merely a middle of the pack p5 program at best. With NIL rules, this won't change for a while.

Sad to say, but this is merely another affirmation that Syracuse is no longer a top tier program and is merely a middle of the pack p5 program at best. With NIL rules, this won't change for a while.

I am rapidly approaching the event horizon with SU sports and college sports in general. I have already reallocated the majority of time and money I spend on them over the last few years. Im afraid the writing is on the wall. It’s about time to go cold turkey.

I know a lot of people who know his parents and have only heard lovely things about them (travelled in Italy and other tournaments with them). There is just so much in these 85 pages that is so wrong. And some, I am sure, is correct. But does anyone really know? So many think they are experts. There used to be a core group of trusted posters here. I've been a part of this forum for years, and miss those days. I have not posted inside information on here in a long, long time. Unfortunately the comments and so called experts are really getting out of hand. This thread throws in the kitchen sink of every single potential involved person, theory, who did this, who said that. It is really both sad and comical. There are a trusted few on here who are trying to pull it together. But most of you have no idea who they are. You are all newer to the game and you have no idea who you are arguing with.

They are lovely people who aren’t part of the program anymore

I'm not she, but it is 100% NIL. Jesse wants to stay, but the discrepancy between what we have to offer and what other schools have to offer is too large.

I’m tired of hearing Jesse wants to stay he’s 22 years old truly he had some part in this decision to leave. He’s gone so he didn’t really care that much about staying

I’m tired of hearing Jesse wants to stay he’s 22 years old truly he had some part in this decision to leave. He’s gone so he didn’t really care that much about staying
It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with the Benjamin's. 22, 32, 42, 52. Doesn't matter. If someone offers a significant increase in money, the majority of people will take it. Money trumps loyalty. That's the world we live in.

He (appears to have) made a business decision because SU wouldn’t be competitive. His earning window is fantastically short. That doesn’t mean he didn’t really want to stay. At some point, you have to maximize your earnings. He’s going to choose a perfectly fine option to get paid…and get a grad degree…and expand how he’s living his life a bit while young. SU had to at least be competitive with that option. That’s the business. We knew enough to spend hundreds of millions on facilities. These are the operating costs that it takes to actually make that investment worthwhile.

Listened to Deans pod and feel quite better about our situation. I’ll just say 99% of what posted here is not accurate.
I had a feeling that yesterday wasn't the best day in this board's history. I'm used to the usual characters spouting off, but it was a pretty bad day for many typically sane posters.

Listened to Deans pod and feel quite better about our situation. I’ll just say 99% of what posted here is not accurate.

It definitely put the circumstances about this disappointing outcome in a different light.

And it explains why this felt so unexpected. Perhaps the coaching staff / university aren't quite as inept as these 85 pages suggest.

I don’t care what dean says. No matter how you slice it SU major sports has and continues to trend in the wrong direction. Is it the end of the world? No. Can it be reversed? Yes. Do I think it will turn around? No, but it’s just my opinion, nothing more.

I don’t care what dean says. No matter how you slice it SU major sports has and continues to trend in the wrong direction. Is it the end of the world? No. Can it be reversed? Yes. Do I think it will turn around? No, but it’s just my opinion, nothing more.
What’s the major obstacle

Yeah though yesterday clearly established we have our fair share of insane posters as well.
I've been an infrequent poster for a long time, and my position has always been not to believe much of the "rumors." I prefer to "prepare for the worst and hope for best."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom