Jesse Edwards Out For The Season | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards Out For The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can definitely test the pro waters. He's shown a lot and shown that he has even more upside, imo. He can gain weight while getting paid and any pro team will get him extended for a short jumper more so than SU. Maybe he doesn't even care about the NBA versus playing overseas, I dunno.

I think he'll be back, but the reasons if he wants to try going pro or elsewhere? He is fifth out of the five starters in FGA/game. And not by a little, by a lot. JGIII is fourth out of the five starters at 10 FGA/game and Jesse is at 6.9 FGA/game. That is while being one of the top FG% in the country and hilariously having to cover for the ineptitude on defense that surrounds him.

Again, I think he's coming back, but I can see a world where he may want a change of scenery.
I understand your overall point (more offense can/should run through Jesse), but have to be a bit critical of FGA/game as your metric of choice. Jesse’s usage on the season is 18.6%, higher than Cole’s (he’s at only 17.9%) and not far from Jimmy (19.4%). (And for those who are curious, Buddy is at 25.1%, Joe is at 21.9%, and Frank only uses 11.7% of possessions when he’s on the floor.)

Using FGA/game makes it seem like Jesse is much less involved in the offense than I believe he actually is.

He can definitely test the pro waters. He's shown a lot and shown that he has even more upside, imo. He can gain weight while getting paid and any pro team will get him extended for a short jumper more so than SU. Maybe he doesn't even care about the NBA versus playing overseas, I dunno.

I think he'll be back, but the reasons if he wants to try going pro or elsewhere? He is fifth out of the five starters in FGA/game. And not by a little, by a lot. JGIII is fourth out of the five starters at 10 FGA/game and Jesse is at 6.9 FGA/game. That is while being one of the top FG% in the country and hilariously having to cover for the ineptitude on defense that surrounds him.

Again, I think he's coming back, but I can see a world where he may want a change of scenery.
I love Jesse. He's made tremendous strides. But he's not going pro this year dude come on

I understand your overall point (more offense can/should run through Jesse), but have to be a bit critical of FGA/game as your metric of choice. Jesse’s usage on the season is 18.6%, higher than Cole’s (he’s at only 17.9%) and not far from Jimmy (19.4%). (And for those who are curious, Buddy is at 25.1%, Joe is at 21.9%, and Frank only uses 11.7% of possessions when he’s on the floor.)

Using FGA/game makes it seem like Jesse is much less involved in the offense than I believe he actually is.
Jesse's fgas are suppressed relative to his usage because of how many fouls he draws that send him to the line.

Which is another point in favor of more usage.

It is. You know what he meant though. Losing Jesse really impacts the rest of the season. Up to that point, we were 13-11 though.

Exactly. We were 13-11 and having one of our worst season in years even with Jesse. Don't think losing him would be an excuse for a poor season since that was already happening.

Do you think Jesse’s usage % helps your argument?

Jesse was having an all conference year, was our best player and was a top player in the country in FG% and has a usage % less than Buddy, Joe, Jimmy and is slightly more than Cole.

Buddy is over 16 shots a game and Jesse isn’t even at 7. Those numbers matter.

Jesse can’t be used more in the offense bc Buddy is the offense and that isn’t changing. Joe is the only guy on the team that can hit Jesse in the pick and roll.

It’s all moot now, anyway. Our high offensive efficiency ranking is going to be hard pressed to remain without a top five FG% guy on the floor.

Our defense, while hard pressed to be worse, will likely be worse.

I don’t usually like aggregate stats, but FGA do matter in this instance. It also does map to usage the fact that our mvp was around the same usage % as Cole Swider and behind Jimmy.

Does anyone know generally when the injury happened? I've still got the game on DVR and would like to go back and see it. They said it happened late 2nd half.

It happened when he picked up his 5th foul, he fell to the floor when a BC player ran into him.

I hope Frank is ready for the Jim Boeheim Post-Game Press Conference Experience.

It's a wild ride.

triple h dropped the ball GIF by WWE

Do you think Jesse’s usage % helps your argument?

Jesse was having an all conference year, was our best player and was a top player in the country in FG% and has a usage % less than Buddy, Joe, Jimmy and is slightly more than Cole.

Buddy is over 16 shots a game and Jesse isn’t even at 7. Those numbers matter.

Jesse can’t be used more in the offense bc Buddy is the offense and that isn’t changing. Joe is the only guy on the team that can hit Jesse in the pick and roll.

It’s all moot now, anyway. Our high offensive efficiency ranking is going to be hard pressed to remain without a top five FG% guy on the floor.

Our defense, while hard pressed to be worse, will likely be worse.

I don’t usually like aggregate stats, but FGA do matter in this instance. It also does map to usage the fact that our mvp was around the same usage % as Cole Swider and behind Jimmy.
I wasn’t arguing anything other than this: When determining how involved or uninvolved one player is in the offense, compared to another player - FGA/game is a poorer metric to use, compared to usage %. So with respect to that point, yes - I think Jesse’s usage % paints a clearer picture of his involvement in the offense than FGA/game does. Looking solely at FGA/game, one might come away with the mistaken impression that Cole (10.4 FGA/game) is significantly more involved on the offensive end than Jesse (6.9 FGA/game). After all, Cole gets 50% more shot attempts per game than Jesse does! But in reality, more offense has been run through Jesse this year to date… that’s all I was trying to point out.

With respect to whether or not more offense should go through Jesse, I’m not opposed to that at all.

Kadary was better than Joe at PG. I don't care about Kadary, he's not CP3, but at PG, Kadary was better and he sat behind him and would have sat behind him again this year.

And, no one is going to think they can get real minutes when the coach's kids are on the team.

Do you think it's chance that Buddy and Jimmy are the two guys with the highest FGA per game? Buddy is over 16 FGA per game. He has over 5 more shots per game than Jimmy. SIXTEEN! Last year he was 4 FGA per game more than #2.

Who is coming here? Do you really think Buddy was sitting more this year? Or taking less shots? Of course not.

Let's dispense with this 'what if' with a better bench, which, btw, is on JB, regardless.

JB has the team he wanted. He rolled the dice to have it. He just got burned, period.
He played half the time as a freshman. Actually more than half. He played more as a frosh then MCW. He certainly would have played a lot this year as well, which would have given Joe some 2G time and Buddy some rest. KR was not a team 1st, bigger picture guy, which is okay.
The point is, good players get time. I know that ruins the falsehoods many on here espouse ad nauseam, but it’s true. There are only 40 minutes at any position. A 25/15 minute split between starter/ bench is pretty good. KR had 21 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom