Jimmy Jr. ( James Boeheim ) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Jr. ( James Boeheim )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to him for becoming good enough that this is a serious option and we’d have to take him. Goodine is a letdown so far considering the minutes up for grabs with Carey leaving the team. If he can’t force his way into the lineup this year who knows if he ever will and Jimmy would be a solid 7/8 in our rotation.

But we are not a good fit at all primarily because we have a better version of Jimmy at the same position.

Won’t blame him if he only wants one more year of being the star on a bad Ivy team and takes his degree and goes to a major program. If it’s not Duke or UK he’ll play plenty next year. Just why us?

Jimmy went to the school he thought would be best for him (academics as well as basketball), and it's worked out very well for him. He had nary a nibble from a high major.

Jim did not encourage Jimmy to come to SU. In fact, neither did Jim encourage Buddy to come here ... and he initially did not want to offer Buddy a scholarship (because he feared complaints of nepotism). It was the assistant coaches who convinced Jim to offer Buddy a scholarship.

that sounds good but can we agree if we are calling balls and strikes that Jim was wrong here and it’s another recruiting fail. This is where the assistants have to speak up. A lot of players grow and get stronger. He could have helped us this year for sure.
If the real narrative is he didn’t want to play for his dad and wanted an ivy education that’s fine but we lost a recruit in our back yard that’s smart and good

It is very likely that Hughes and Marek go pro next year. There are solid recruits coming in but I don't think a freshman player would be able to come into the system and and really have the ability to know and what the college game requires. I believe Jimmy would. The guy can shoot and finish and would be a solid scorer in a major conference. People who can't see that are just blinded by their Boeheim animus.

Athleticism is over rated in basketball and many other sports. The ability to shoot well is the most important skill any basketball player can have. Why? Because you never get points unless you score. Great vertical, speed, strength...Tons of players are athletic specimens. Are they good basketball players?
Here are just a few Syracuse players who were average or below average athletically.
Gmac
Ennis
Lawrence Moten
Pearl.
4 pretty mediocre Athletes who just happened to be ok at basketball.
I think you are using a stereotype definition of athleticism, ie, run fast and/or jump high. Personally, I think real athleticism is the ability to control one's own body. All four names that you cite were excellent athletes in my mind. Pearl did incredible things even though he could not dunk. Maybe, GMAC and Ennis would not win sprints, but they had little loss of top speed while simultaneously dribbling. Moten should have been nicknamed serpent, he could slither on a court as well as anybody.

Would you, eg, have called the cat rescuer a great athlete, he could jump to the sky, but could do little else.

It is very likely that Hughes and Marek go pro next year. There are solid recruits coming in but I don't think a freshman player would be able to come into the system and and really have the ability to know and what the college game requires. I believe Jimmy would. The guy can shoot and finish and would be a solid scorer in a major conference. People who can't see that are just blinded by their Boeheim animus.
Doesn’t he have another year at Cornell? He’d either have to come here and sit out a redshirt year or be a grad transfer.

I honestly don’t see it happening

Buddy bothered me a little on Wednesday; Jimmy was playing well and I thought Buddy was forcing some things to try to go tit for tat with his brother

Doesn’t he have another year at Cornell? He’d either have to come here and sit out a redshirt year or be a grad transfer.

I honestly don’t see it happening

Buddy bothered me a little on Wednesday; Jimmy was playing well and I thought Buddy was forcing some things to try to go tit for tat with his brother
He had a year of prep school, so I assume he could be finishing his degree.

that sounds good but can we agree if we are calling balls and strikes that Jim was wrong here and it’s another recruiting fail. This is where the assistants have to speak up. A lot of players grow and get stronger. He could have helped us this year for sure.
If the real narrative is he didn’t want to play for his dad and wanted an ivy education that’s fine but we lost a recruit in our back yard that’s smart and good

Jimmy is not a recruiting fail! And, it is debateable whether he's good enough to play here. But even if he is, is it because he's truly good enough, or because we've recruited that poorly over the last 5 years that the bar for playing time has been significantly lowered?

I'm not in the camp that he could have helped us all that much, besides would he have gotten the playing time the last two years to develop to the point he is at now if he had come here?

Last edited:
Jimmy is not a recruiting fail! And, it is debateable whether he's good enough to play here. But even if he is, is it because he's truly good enough, or because we've recruited that poorly over the last 5 years that the bar for playing time has been significantly lowered?

I'm not in the camp that he could have helped us all that much, besides would he have gotten the playing time the last two years to develop to the point he is at now if he had come here?

I think most of this post asks reasonable questions. I do wonder if the answer to the highlighted question really matters to the issue at hand here. He's either good enough for the current team, or he is not, in my opinion.

recruiting comes in all shapes and sizes. I liken jimmy to rautins. Came in w little fan fare and improved within the program. To suggest jimmy wouldn’t is a program fail vs him improving within the Cornell infrastructure.

im not a scout but what am I missing w the kid? Seems legit to me and could play for the Orange. I don’t see a huge diff btw him and buddy right now.

recruiting comes in all shapes and sizes. I liken jimmy to rautins. Came in w little fan fare and improved within the program. To suggest jimmy wouldn’t is a program fail vs him improving within the Cornell infrastructure.

im not a scout but what am I missing w the kid? Seems legit to me and could play for the Orange. I don’t see a huge diff btw him and buddy right now.

Well for one Jimmy is two years older, plays forward, and was never as good as his younger brother in high school while being 4 inches shorter. Jimmy did a post grad in the NEPSAC just to get in the Ivy. Buddy also had a much better freshman year at Syracuse than Jimmy did at Cornell. Apples to Oranges here.

Last edited:
I think you are using a stereotype definition of athleticism, ie, run fast and/or jump high. Personally, I think real athleticism is the ability to control one's own body. All four names that you cite were excellent athletes in my mind. Pearl did incredible things even though he could not dunk. Maybe, GMAC and Ennis would not win sprints, but they had little loss of top speed while simultaneously dribbling. Moten should have been nicknamed serpent, he could slither on a court as well as anybody.

Would you, eg, have called the cat rescuer a great athlete, he could jump to the sky, but could do little else.

Edelin is another good example - he wasn't overly athletic. He knew how to use his size, he could hit a runner like nobody's business, could probably throw it up to the roof and still have it drop without touching the rim from about 8 feet and in. Same thing with getting low with the dribble at times, change of pace, all that stuff...a lot may have to do with just where you play, and how you adapt. Street vs. structure, all of those things likely play a part.

Some kid from a smaller HS may be able to get by on strength, or speed, that just never translates to this level, so they never develop those skills to nearly the same extent as others may have to. Who knows...but, very much agree with your assessment.

That is stupid Buddy's first few games when the shots weren't dropping had everyone crying about Nepotism imagine the situation if we had another Boeheim. Not to mention Jimmy likely needs a red shirt so both would be playing the same 4 years. You'd need a crystal ball to see Jalen Carey and Brycen Goodine show up unable to contribute and spend more than 30 seconds on the floor without doing something stupid which sadly is the reality.

I really hope we give Goodine a leash vs Bucknell because no matter how bad he might be he will play meaningful minutes due to a shortage of bodies. And being a first year guy something might click like it did with Buddy and he becomes a contributor.

That is stupid Buddy's first few games when the shots weren't dropping had everyone crying about Nepotism imagine the situation if we had another Boeheim. Not to mention Jimmy likely needs a red shirt so both would be playing the same 4 years. You'd need a crystal ball to see Jalen Carey and Brycen Goodine show up unable to contribute and spend more than 30 seconds on the floor without doing something stupid which sadly is the reality.

I really hope we give Goodine a leash vs Bucknell because no matter how bad he might be he will play meaningful minutes due to a shortage of bodies. And being a first year guy something might click like it did with Buddy and he becomes a contributor.

you sure have it in for Goodine. Kids a player and has skills. He didn’t seem to have a problem contributing until he started getting these few spot minutes.

After seeing his game last night, who doesn't think he could be a player at the highest level of college basketball. At least a sixth or seventh man.

We only use 6.5 men.

you sure have it in for Goodine. Kids a player and has skills. He didn’t seem to have a problem contributing until he started getting these few spot minutes.

No I don't have it in for him.

But he has a golden opportunity and has to grab it right now. If you can't get into the rotation with Jalen Carey leaving the team and true freshman JG3 and Buddy looking at 40 minutes per game AGAINST a terrible Cornell team its a very very very bad sign.

Jimmy was trying to guard Hughes. Did you notice when they were matched up, Hughes went to the hoop and abused him? Buddy’s defense is only slightly hidden in the zone because he is also the weakest link in the zone. Girard does a much better job sliding his feet and maybe is the best rebounding guard we’ve had in a long time. Girard seeks rebounds and goes and get them. Battle and Buddy whold watch the ball hit the floor before they try and get it. I think a Girard had 6 rebounds against Colgate. When has any of our big guards had that many? MCW is the only one that comes to mind.

You lost me at “Marek goes pro next year”.

No I don't have it in for him.

But he has a golden opportunity and has to grab it right now. If you can't get into the rotation with Jalen Carey leaving the team and true freshman JG3 and Buddy looking at 40 minutes per game AGAINST a terrible Cornell team its a very very very bad sign.

he already showed his worth in the Italy games and exhibitions. He has skills none of our other guards have (not counting Carey). Now getting a couple minutes here and a few minutes there, he’s playing tight. JB said as much Wednesday. There is an interview after the UVa game with Girard that is telling. He didn’t expect to be playing PG, especially as much as he did. JB has decided he wants his 3 best long range shooters on the floor at the same time. That’s his call and I don’t have a major problem with it. But then nobody including him should be saying Goodine needs to step up. Ok, give him the time he was getting. Buddy should not play 37 mins and Girard 36 mins. JB is going to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom