JJ Starling | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

Some of us are used to winning big time with players that are good right out of the gate. That is what the contenders do Despite your assumption, I support Red.
Fair enough. But I don't recall anyone suggesting we were "contenders" this year. At the very least we figured we'd be good, but it was largely a wait & see approach- new system, new coach, new players.
I think most fans, like it or not, realized that this was going to be an evolving year w/ alot of unknowns. And hoped we'd get better and possibly make the Dance. That's the realistic approach, IMO.
My point is that some in our fanbase make conclusive assumptions like it's already a done deal. Especially the ones who concluded that Red's not a good hire...after less than 10 games, which is patently absurd. JMHO

Last edited:
Yes, because JJ and Red will be the same in March, as they are in November. Thanks for the prognostication, Nostradamus.
Any more brilliant insight as to what we can expect moving forward? Indeed, why not just give us our season record right now, so we can all stop wasting our precious time watching.
Thanks for making my point for me re; immature, unrealistic, and impatient expectations. JMHO
If they’re the same now as in March, this team doesn’t win 4 more games. If they’re slightly better they maybe get to .500. That’s not good enough, sorry I don’t give a pass to a guy who got hired over top-quality coaches like you do. Irrelevancy isn’t fun but hey, at least we get to see them beat a downright terrible Georgetown team by 12, right?

If they’re the same now as in March, this team doesn’t win 4 more games. If they’re slightly better they maybe get to .500. That’s not good enough, sorry I don’t give a pass to a guy who got hired over top-quality coaches like you do. Irrelevancy isn’t fun but hey, at least we get to see them beat a downright terrible Georgetown team by 12, right?
I rest my case.

Fair enough. But I don't recall anyone suggesting we were "contenders" this year. At the very least we figured we'd be good, but it was largely a wait & see approach- new system, new coach, new players.
I think most fans, like it or not, realized that this was going to be an evolving year w/ alot of unknowns. And hoped we'd get better and possibly make the Dance. That's the realistic approach, IMO.
My point is that some in our fanbase make conclusive assumptions like it's already a done deal. Especially the ones who'd concluded that Red's not a good hire...after less than 10 games, which is patently absurd. JMHO

Thanks for sharing some scoop - who did Red get hired over?

He’s had one good game so far, I wouldn’t exactly say the disappointment in JJ is unwarranted so far. Pair that with continued mistakes from Quadir (yes, he played a great second half but are we really going to ignore the other 7 games), Benny being awful for 2 and 1/3rd years, and McLoed being a huge let down, nothing I’ve seen has been unfair criticism. This is big time college basketball, if you want a patient fan base go play in the MAC.
There’s no temper tantrums, they are seeing what’s in front of them. If JJ can’t be effective against Colgate or New Hampshire, why would he be effective against Clemson or Duke? Same for the other players. And as for red, if you think he’s done a good job so far then you’re delusional. He’s beaten bad teams, woohoo, several of which required some significantly bad shooting despite wide open looks for the opposition. No one expects him to be a hall of famer from day one, but he got a big time job so he has big time expectations. Will he get better! For sure, but Syracuse shouldn’t need to play the waiting game.
It’s funny how you’ve changed your tune from last season when JB was coaching. I remember you getting very frustrated at all the constant criticism of the players and especially of JB.

Sorry to rain on your misery, but Georgetown has one of those top-quality coaches you refer to, and how did they do?
Are you expecting Red to just flip a switch and make us top 20 again? If so, it might be a good idea for you (and this board) to reign them in a little.

Some of us are used to winning big time with players that are good right out of the gate. That is what the contenders do Despite your assumption, I support Red.
But it hasn’t been that way for most of the past 8 years at Syracuse. JB allowed the program and especially recruiting to atrophy. What we’re saying is that it’s unfair to expect a new coach, whoever that is, to be a superstar and a big time winner right out of the gate, especially after we lost Jesse. Hurley had a losing season his first year at UConn and he actually had head coaching experience before that. It looks like it might take Pitino, one of the greatest coaches of all time, a season to get St John’s really going. It might take Red a year or two to really get going.

Yeah, we fell from grace. Maui used to be a cakewalk but the Great One hung on a bit too long. I was guilty of writing JJ off. Hope I was wrong. After umteen years of continued success behind the likes of so many great players it is hard for me to adjust to reliance on players that may or may not develop. I trust Red as our best chance to bring us back to Graceland. Yesterday's win brought back that old feel good high that has been missing for too long.

The consequence of constant news, social media, attention spans etc is this thread. Making grand proclamations with a small sample size.

Best to compare what this team is now vs late February. Just enjoy the ride for now.

Maybe you should stick to commenting on Syracuse.com Facebook comments section.

Last edited:
So, you are down on HCFB then. Also, you have no idea how good of a coach Red will be. I am sure ADJW attended many practices to gauge how Red might do.

Gtown isn't terrible. They basically beat a good TCU team and would've won if they hadn't gotten screwed by the refs missing a player stepping out of bounds. They just got Massoud back and it's going to take time to acclimate him to the team. They'll be a decent BE team this season.

Gtown isn't terrible. They basically beat a good TCU team and would've won if they hadn't gotten screwed by the refs missing a player stepping out of bounds. They just got Massoud back and it's going to take time to acclimate him to the team. They'll be a decent BE team this season.
And Ed Cooley is a helluva HC. They are already miles ahead of where they were under Ewing the last few seasons.
Also, Cooley said that because of our continuity on the bench, we were much more tuned into the rivalry. He didn't appreciate the magnitude until the end of the game. Most likely after Cope and Maliq dunked in his team's faces, and Judah started yapping to the crowd. Add to that when our fans took over the arena, & he said his team would be more than ready next time , and he can't wait to play in this "goddamn game". Seemed a bit miffed, if I do say so myself...and I certainly do. :cool:

And Ed Cooley is a helluva HC. They are already miles ahead of where they were under Ewing the last few seasons.
Also, Cooley said that because of our continuity on the bench, we were much more tuned into the rivalry. He didn't appreciate the magnitude until the end of the game. Most likely after Cope and Maliq dunked in his team's faces, and Judah started yapping to the crowd. Add to that when our fans took over the arena, & he said his team would be more than ready next time , and he can't wait to play in this "goddamn game". Seemed a bit miffed, if I do say so myself...and I certainly do. :cool:

He also praised Judah as a great player but then followed up with guards like him are a dime a dozen in the BE. He said it because he knows Judah won’t be here next year.

It’s funny how you’ve changed your tune from last season when JB was coaching. I remember you getting very frustrated at all the constant criticism of the players and especially of JB.
JB is a hall of famer? He had 43 winning seasons in a row and 5 final fours? He won 26 games his first season?

Are you seriously acting like defending JB is at all comparable?

Thanks for sharing some scoop - who did Red get hired over?
That’s the problem, tons of high quality coaches were out there and Syracuse choose an unproven assistant. Coaches would’ve come here if Syracuse even put in a tiny amount of effort.

Truth. That holy cross loss and 2 point win over Merrimack screams “big east contender”

Yeah, we fell from grace. Maui used to be a cakewalk but the Great One hung on a bit too long. I was guilty of writing JJ off. Hope I was wrong. After umteen years of continued success behind the likes of so many great players it is hard for me to adjust to reliance on players that may or may not develop. I trust Red as our best chance to bring us back to Graceland. Yesterday's win brought back that old feel good high that has been missing for too long.
I feel as impatient as you and many of us fans at wanting Syracuse to return to being a regular Top 25 power. But right now, I want to support Red and his vision and give him a chance to build his program. So I will be patient for a few years as he finds his way. And if progress completely stalls out or if we clearly move in the wrong direction, I'll be the first to call for moving on and hiring a proven superstar head coach. I just hope JW is amassing the funds to do that.

Last edited:
So, you are down on HCFB then. Also, you have no idea how good of a coach Red will be. I am sure ADJW attended many practices to gauge how Red might do.
I would’ve preferred a head coach in football too. I also would’ve preferred a DC with significant coordinator experience but that difference is that Syracuse football is a bottom-tier P5 team, while basketball is one of the most historic programs in history. Basketball attracts top talent even in down years, football hasn’t in 2 decades. That means you could pull a top tier coach to a premiere job, but that’s not what Syracuse football is anymore. They’re completely different situations and I think you know that.

Edit: I have no idea how GOOD of a coach, just as much as everyone who calls him the savior don’t know how BAD of a coach he might be. You’re entitled to your opinion to think he’ll be good, I’m allowed to reserve my judgement and assume the worst until he actually proves something.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom