JJ Starling | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

The concerning part about Starlings game outside of his jumper is he is shooting the worst percentage at the rim out of any player on our team. I will say he gets there the 2nd most out of Judah, but 12-27 on layups is awful.

This team just doesn't have the talent and depth for one of the expected locked in talent/depth providers (which Starling was) to not bring that level of performance. If we had more depth, we could absorb him not playing well.

Missing Jesse so so much, maybe more than Joe. Judah has no interior outlet.

The more multi-dimensional Bell can become, the better.

If Taylor can continue to approximate triple-doubles into league play, the better.

Would be nice if Maliq could make layups and look to be an offensive relief valve for Judah.

Naheem. Just stand tall, catch the ball, hold it over your head, pivot, and lob it towards the orange thing, circle or rectangle, don't matter which.

Cuffe, just play him more

Copeland, aim to not turn it over AT ALL. Everyone of his turnovers is such a downer, like a kitty falling into the pool.

Missing Jesse so so much, maybe more than Joe. Judah has no interior outlet.
Would be nice if Maliq could make layups and look to be an offensive relief valve for Judah.
2023-24 so far, last year was definitely better (~46% of 2ptFG were assisted), so yeah, Jesse is missed on the inside, especially with that baby hook he had. However, I'd like to avoid being grouped with Louisville, Wake, and ND as much as possible no matter the metric. Maliq has one of the best FG%s in the ACC, he's just not a focus of the offense - especially when the paint is clogged up with defenders and Judah or JJ are going 1-on-3 but still forcing up shots. Judah and JJ are not always looking to pass when they get to the basket. It's not a knock on them, that's what they're here for.

1702053029427.png

The concerning part about Starlings game outside of his jumper is he is shooting the worst percentage at the rim out of any player on our team. I will say he gets there the 2nd most out of Judah, but 12-27 on layups is awful.
I didn't know the stats but I've noticed that also. I just don't have much confidence when Starling throws up anything from any range at this point.

He may be one of the best athletes but he is also one of the worse basketball players. Why does he need to play? As JB said, practice is for getting better. He did not use game time for the sake of practice. Does JJ's practice performance merit so much game time?
JJ is going to contribute in other ways besides scoring. He rebounds, defends and can get downhill. Just needs to make better decisions when attacking the rim. Do I go all the way or play off ten feet and kick out? He sometimes tries to drive on two or 3 defenders sitting in the paint. He’ll figure it out. Judah used to do that a lot too but has improved in his decision making. I’m not giving up on JJ.

I didn't know the stats but I've noticed that also. I just don't have much confidence when Starling throws up anything from any range at this point.
He also takes a ton of shots every game. Usually the second or third most shots on the team after JM and Bell. You'd think he'd look to facilitate a bit more knowing that his shot has been off. He seems to go somewhere in the range of 4-14 fgs every game. Overall, I'm just really disappointed in the offense we are running this year. Hope Red is able to turn it around

You might be misunderstanding me. He doesn't look as fast as last year. Comparing him in the ND SU game from last year to 8 SU games this year.

His speed looked elite last year. It doesn't look elite this year. To me.

I am not saying he cannot get by people. He can. Just not really the quad 1 people.
I actually called him a “bullet” in one of the early games.
So, if there is a difference between this and last year, could it be chalked up to defenders knowing they can sag off his 3/jumper now?

Wow, it's crazy how people see things differently while looking at the same thing. The one big strength I've seen with JJ is how fast he blows by people with the ball in his hands
Yeah. I have zero idea what Swish is talking about. He’s just plain wrong about JJ’s speed and ability to get to the rim. Now finishing at the rim is another matter, but he’s still better than Joe at that.

Yeah. I have zero idea what Swish is talking about. He’s just plain wrong about JJ’s speed and ability to get to the rim. Now finishing at the rim is another matter, but he’s still better than Joe at that.

Teams are sitting on the drive more, so that's part of it for sure. He certainly didn't get slower at his age.

Teams are sitting on the drive more, so that's part of it for sure. He certainly didn't get slower at his age.
This makes sense. I really don't know what other teams are doing relative to what SU did against him last year, but, again, to me, he looked faster last year (in the game against us) than he does this year (in games playing for SU).

Teams sagging off his shot or sitting on his drives would make him appear slower because he would be more hesitant, than he would appear when blowing by Joe Girard or whomever. Also, he's not the focal point this year, so perhaps when he is driving he as a different outcome in mind (giving it to Judah rather than finishing at the rim).

JJ is going to contribute in other ways besides scoring. He rebounds, defends and can get downhill. Just needs to make better decisions when attacking the rim. Do I go all the way or play off ten feet and kick out? He sometimes tries to drive on two or 3 defenders sitting in the paint. He’ll figure it out. Judah used to do that a lot too but has improved in his decision making. I’m not giving up on JJ.
I have. A shooting guard has to be able to shoot. His net points are the lowest, by far, of any Cuse starter in my long memory. The stats are what a dead man could do. Maybe he will be ready next year. We play 4 against five with JJ at shooting guard. JT belongs at shooting guard and Brown at PF. That is why I push for Hima. Hima is no worse than McLeod but the extra body would allow Brown to go back to PF. Too many of our players are playing out of position.

I have. A shooting guard has to be able to shoot. His net points are the lowest, by far, of any Cuse starter in my long memory. The stats are what a dead man could do. Maybe he will be ready next year. We play 4 against five with JJ at shooting guard. JT belongs at shooting guard and Brown at PF. That is why I push for Hima. Hima is no worse than McLeod but the extra body would allow Brown to go back to PF. Too many of our players are playing out of position.
PG’s dont have to score, maybe he should put up 5/6 shots a game and some of those in transition. Mintz is really the 2G. Play D, distribute the ball and rebound.

PG’s dont have to score, maybe he should put up 5/6 shots a game and some of those in transition. Mintz is really the 2G. Play D, distribute the ball and rebound.
Judah is the primary ball handler. JJ's skills, I agree, are point guard. Unfortunately he is our shooting guard but he is a liability in offense.

All good points, but giving up is a little harsh for me. I’d like to see the lineups you are pushing for too. But I’m not totally giving up on a player as talented as JJ.

work, simply needs to retrain his body. Also check the eyes. could need contacts. Hard to know for sure but there is no substitute for putting in the work and I heat he is doing that. Sometimes you lose confidence and you know you will mess before you shoot, the mental part of the game always needs work. It is not as simple as i have been always able to do this so I still can. If only that were true we would all be our best self all the time.
Simply retrain his body. That sounds about like the most difficult thing to ever do

That’s dang near cipolla level

Judah is the primary ball handler. JJ's skills, I agree, are point guard. Unfortunately he is our shooting guard but he is a liability in offe

Judah is the primary ball handler. JJ's skills, I agree, are point guard. Unfortunately he is our shooting guard but he is a liability in offense.
Just limit his shots

If JJ can give us 70% of that the rest of the year were golden. Really nice combo with Judah attacking. Both played great today.
And Quaddy attacking as well. Hope these guys celebrate accordingly and ace all their finals. Then put a whooping on Oregon. Will be interesting to see how Cuse Nation travels for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom