Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i played division 3 tennis and it consumed my freshman year...being starting PG on Syracuse is many orders of mangitude more intensive than even that...I get the sentiment...but if a basketball player wants to delay being an adult and be young and dumb...that's not really going to happen by being a starter for the Orange...

but just being a college kid on campus surrounded by thousands of people and a community who love you ...is nothing to scoff at...and something that is extremely hard to recreate outside of the college environment...NBA players get loved and adored but its much different...

so the essence of what you are saying is true but I disagree with the description of what a sophomore year might be like in terms of seriousness and workload...and "adultness" of it all

my worry for Judah if he did come back is if somehow the things he knows he needs to work on aren;t improving and he starts to press and gets frustrated...and it snowballs a bit on him. I dont think that would happen but it could.

I also worked my freshman year plus was an engineering student so I get it. That said there are responsibilities that replace those when you take that next step. Up until injury senior year I was an athlete myself (soccer) with a partial scholly so balancing that work etc I get it. It gets real very quick but for some that is what they want. Every single individual has a different path.

There is more youth to be had even as a starting pg here than as an NBA player in the G League. Again it's not a challenge of the decision but it is the reality- unless you come from a massively wealthy family. Getting off track here though.
Let's just make sure we aren't getting into a right vs wrong answer. All that matters is his answer to what is what he feels is best.

Last edited:
i played division 3 tennis and it consumed my freshman year...being starting PG on Syracuse is many orders of mangitude more intensive than even that...I get the sentiment...but if a basketball player wants to delay being an adult and be young and dumb...that's not really going to happen by being a starter for the Orange...

but just being a college kid on campus surrounded by thousands of people and a community who love you ...is nothing to scoff at...and something that is extremely hard to recreate outside of the college environment...NBA players get loved and adored but its much different...
This. At Syracuse he is beloved and as far as we know has a great support system in Red and the staff who spent years recruiting him, as well as his teammates and friends. At the NBA he'll be just another guy until he establishes himself, especially since he isn't a lottery guy. That goes even moreso if he winds up in the G-League.

None of that is to say that he'll be making a terrible decision if he keeps his name in the Draft. We all make choices and live with the consequences, and learn from them if they don't go the way we thought or hoped.

Here is what I haven't seen. And maybe one of you have. But has anyone seen where a team has brought Judah in for a workout? And the thing is, teams bring kids in even if they aren't interested just so the guys they do like can have someone to work out against. But I have yet to see any team bring Judah in.

Good catch. I haven't heard of anyone.

so the essence of what you are saying is true but I disagree with the description of what a sophomore year might be like in terms of seriousness and workload...and "adultness" of it all

my worry for Judah if he did come back is if somehow the things he knows he needs to work on aren;t improving and he starts to press and gets frustrated...and it snowballs a bit on him. I dont think that would happen but it could.
Depends on where you get drafted, but there’s a good chance you’re going to play in front of bigger crowds and more passionate fans at Syracuse than the NBA. Throw in making some good money while doing it, and that’s not a bad thing at all to sign up for, especially if the style of play seems a great fit and the team is looking pretty talented.

Yep. I’ve shared this with a few friends and I just hope it is Judahs choice. I’ll leave it at that.
i-was-just-59f7ab.jpg

[limited experience, but... still]
in person, Maliq was more confident and made more plays. The team really appeared to respect him.
Benny pouted and was eating his shirt the majority of the time I was watching him.
(literally had his jersey or shirt in his mouth)

Bennys good play has always come when we were being blown out by 20+ points it seems. I guess that makes him more noticable in a good way compared to everyone else. Good 3 point shooting but hes typically been left unguarded.

Benny is also the only guy expected to see significant minutes that doesn't have 3 years of eligibility remaining. I don't think we are going to get a steady reliable court presence but if things are going to click it should be this year. Minutes at the 4 are wide open. I wouldn't write off Bell becoming an acceptable rebounder and defender and getting the most run at the 4 spot.

Bennys good play has always come when we were being blown out by 20+ points it seems. I guess that makes him more noticable in a good way compared to everyone else. Good 3 point shooting but hes typically been left unguarded.

Benny is also the only guy expected to see significant minutes that doesn't have 3 years of eligibility remaining. I don't think we are going to get a steady reliable court presence but if things are going to click it should be this year. Minutes at the 4 are wide open. I wouldn't write off Bell becoming an acceptable rebounder and defender and getting the most run at the 4 spot.
I agree. I went from driving the Benny fan bus, to jumping out on the highway. Obviously things can change, but something about his demeanor on the court, doesn’t seem to uplift his teammates.

Meaning even though scouts have seemingly told him it's a good idea to return to school, people like his agent are pushing him to declare? If you can't say, no worries.

I'm sure he can't but this is the other ugly side of it all. Just speculating but I would assume most agents aren't getting much of a cut from an NIL deal if at all so a faster payday comes the other way. Sucks but it's that other variable to where information being passed along, promises etc is all fluid.

I know I've said this before but working with a former ACC guard from the 80s who went through it then and then again with his kid not that long ago... some of the stuff he talks about with bigger named guys he played with and his own kid- it's just nuts everything that goes on around them when it comes to this stuff. Add in the new landscape.. and it's just wild.

Yep. I’ve shared this with a few friends and I just hope it is Judahs choice. I’ll leave it at that.
When has the player, in SU’s case, ever not sided with his agent’s recommendation? And when has an agent ever had the kid’s best interest at heart?

Just can’t have nice things… ever. :(

I hope part of Benny's development may be hindered by him and JB personality wise didn't mix well, may be Red can bring him out not the environment
maybe just not the environment he flourishes in. I would also say it may be the way the old coach thought was the best way to prepare him for how it will be at the next level. It’s a business but unfortunately generation change and so does the way you deal with each generation. Just an observation by no means fact.

Unless we are misunderstanding/overreacting to what you’re saying …… this seems like an interesting turn of events
I’m still preparing for him to come back if that makes everyone feel better. But again he’s a kid and lot of people around him as well. “The camp” as we like to call it can have a lot of influence regardless of what the kid wants. (I.e. Jesse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom