Judah would rather talk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Judah would rather talk

I do not think anyone has a problem with trash talk. Personally not a fan but if it hypes up the player. I think the issue is complaining to the officials when you do not get a call and not hustling back on D. Mintz is a great player but to be a professional in the nba you have to realize you are not going to get every call and have to continue to play with intensity.
Agree two different things. Talking to refs should be a no-no, period. Especially vs getting back. I tell my players (and parents) I do not ever remember a time hearing a ref say my bad, your right player or parent and change his call.

There's layers to trash talking and I don't mind the back and forth between players trying to get in each other's head, I don't like over the top stuff though, talk with your game. If your trash talking is exceeding your game, yeah you might want to shut up.

True, but while they were either running up or down court to play defense or in between the action (huge difference from someone who is standing still or walking up the court complaining to the refs).
Agree...

Many of those people are here. But we're not talking about the same kind of "talking". DC and Devo were known for their trash talking. Nobody is complaining about Judah trash talking.
It’s really interesting how Judah gets so much criticism for anything he does good or not so good when he is as coach Red says the leader, the engine that makes this team go. If for whatever reason he doesn’t go to the NBA, which I believe is unlikely, perhaps he should go into the portal since he’s not appreciated. Of course he’s not perfect. He makes mistakes like every college and NBA player, for that matter, but nobody can question his heart and competitiveness and toughness. Good thing he’s appreciated by his coaches and teammates.

I stated Pitt is likely a 35th ranked team...there are over 350 schools playing division 1 basketball.
How is a team in the top 10% "not very good"?
Because teams outside the top 50 generally are not good enough to dance. And that is our low barometer for success here. Pitt may end up on the bubble or looking out, even if according to your percentages that still places them in the upper 20% of division 1.

Context matters.

It’s really interesting how Judah gets so much criticism for anything he does good or not so good when he is as coach Red says the leader, the engine that makes this team go. If for whatever reason he doesn’t go to the NBA, which I believe is unlikely, perhaps he should go into the portal since he’s not appreciated. Of course he’s not perfect. He makes mistakes like every college and NBA player, for that matter, but nobody can question his heart and competitiveness and toughness. Good thing he’s appreciated by his coaches and teammates.
Look, I get it. You want to defend your grandson. I would want to do the same thing, in your position.

But you have to understand that no matter where you go or what you say, there will be detractors - right or wrong. Anywhere he goes. Anywhere.

We have had parents and grandparents of players on this board over the years. It rarely (ever?) ends well.

Not telling you what to do or not to do. Just giving you the lay of the land.

Judah is very much appreciated. He’s the best player we’ve probably had in a decade. But as Reggie Jackson noted, fans don’t talk about nobodies. Everyone wants him to be a successful college player and NBA player. But part of being a real fan is acknowledging what you see good and bad. As our best player, Judah will be held to a higher standard. My guess is that he holds himself to that same high standard. But you would know, I would just be surmising.

Judah is loved, appreciated and respected on this board. No one on this board has ever questioned his heart, competitiveness and toughness. I am not sure how you cannot see that. What is discussed are his weaknesses and mistakes and how to improve on them and become a better player. On sports boards at all colleges, fans discuss their players both good and bad. No one is above criticism. You can go to UK's board and see their current top lottery picks, Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, and Bradshaw all being assessed and criticized (mostly deserved constructive criticism on things they need to do to improve the team chemistry, and also to stay in the lottery conversation as some of them have dropped out). As someone stated in this thread, we have had family members on this board who do not like the honest dialogue. The dialogue is never malicious and if so, it is called out immediately, and if out of bounds is deleted by the mods. Not telling you what to do, but perhaps it's not a good idea for family members who are too close to the situation and who are sensitive, to participate on chat boards or read threads regarding their loved one. Best of luck to you, Judah and family.

Some people want him to be our Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Judah is a darn good player who is still finding out the depth of his abilities. Those who expect perfection every outting do not understand how life works yet. I personally have enjoyed watching him grow and mature, and look forward to seeing what he will become. Be proud of Judah and feel sorry for those who either can't or don't appreciate him.

Don't take the bait, don't get sucked in. If you stay on the board and read it, just chuckle to yourself and know that junk is going to be there. Legitimate stuff and junk. The junk doesn't represent the fan base so I would treat that isht like an insignificant ant. As a Pop-Pop you have to know how to treat junk (in all forms) for what it is.

It's not just Judah that will get the business, happens with all the players at some point, legitimate and junk.

Some people want him to be our Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Judah is a darn good player who is still finding out the depth of his abilities. Those who expect perfection every outting do not understand how life works yet. I personally have enjoyed watching him grow and mature, and look forward to seeing what he will become. Be proud of Judah and feel sorry for those who either can't or don't appreciate him.
Stop pandering. No one expects him to be in the conversation of Goat. We understand life and appreciate Judah, and can appreciate his maturity and criticize his lack of maturity in some areas. Participation trophies and inability to accept constructive criticism stuns growth.

Last edited:

Just tune it out. Gotta separate the online chatter from the fact the fan base feels just the same as Red in their appreciation of what he means to this team and program. You could go back years and find the same for many players. It’s inevitable folks will criticize and nitpick even where it’s unfair sometimes. Gotta let it roll off the shoulders and know it’s not any kind of even small majority that lack appreciation.

If people really don’t see the difference between Devo/DC trash talking and Judah’s whining I dont know what to tell you. Judah is a talented player he just needs to mature a little more to become a star for SU.
I don’t think there is anything particularly profound about the trash talking of any of these three players. All three are/were probably on the immature side of the maturity spectrum while in college.

Stop pandering. No one expects him to be in the conversation of Goat. We understand life and appreciate Judah, and can appreciate his maturity and lack of maturity in some areas. Participation trophies and inability to accept constructive criticism stuns growth.
I'm not sure Judah's taking his criticism from posters on our board... In any way shape or form. Constructive or not. Nor will it impact his growth as a player. Absolutely no impact.

I'm not sure Judah's taking his criticism from posters on our board... In any way shape or form. Constructive or not. Nor will it impact his growth as a player. Absolutely no impact.
Obviously, I am talking to those who are glossing over the valid points being made and making it seem like we don't appreciate the kid.

Stop pandering. No one expects him to be in the conversation of Goat. We understand life and appreciate Judah, and can appreciate his maturity and lack of maturity in some areas. Participation trophies and inability to accept constructive criticism stuns growth.
If what you say is true,why don't all the conversations reflect that? I don't pay attention to what posters say what, I just know those who find ways to always criticize and demean our players have no clue what real life and the need for hard work mean. If the shoe fits for you then wear it. If it doesn't, then let it roll off you. The simple truth is Judah is a great player who is still fairly young and growing as a player. I look forward to seeing what he will become. That doesn't mean I don't get frustrated at times, just like when my own kids were growing up I got frustrated with them from time to time, but I overlooked it and let them grow. Now one is a college professor and department chair over the math department and another is teaching English as a second language kids in a school system. I do the same with Judah and all the players because they are all growing, expect them to make mistakes, and learn from them. Your last sentence is 100% true, I just laugh that anyone who thinks a player is going to grow because of some bashing on a message board. Discussions on strengths and weaknesses are to be expected, but some people just love to demean others.

And fans. Don't misunderstand criticism for lack of appreciation. You are correct in saying everybody makes mistakes. What is just as accurate is that nobody is above criticism. Is he better that Lebron or MJ? They recieved criticism too.

Good lord, people. The OP/thread title is hyperbole. It’s a sports forum.

Read. Process. Deal.

The only person in the NBA who does this consistently is Luka. He gets away with it because he is a superstar, but it is unprofessional and hurts the team as they are playing 4 on 5 while he pouts.
Tatum does it too. Every player does it at the next level.

At the end of the day I don't really care, Judah complaining about a call early might get him a cheaper one later on. Sometimes you have to "play the game" a little.

He should portal because a couple people on a message board are nit picking? Cmon that’s beyond soft. This board makes up .01 percent of Syracuse fans. I can promise you 99 percent of the Syracuse fan base loves Judah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom