July Open Evaluation Period | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

July Open Evaluation Period

Nice numbers from Hammer, added 3 steals too!
I see Mr. Larrier still has his groove on. 15 points, 9 boards, 4 assists, 1 block, 1 steal on 5/8.
Also, great to see Hammer is doing things efficiently 7/11 FGs. Playing Center, nice.

Get em, fellas.

I think most will disagree with me, but I would love to see McCullough play some center while at Syracuse. I don't think a front line of say, he, Grant, and Roberson gets pushed around at all, and SU would have speed and athleticism that other teams just would not be able to match.

I think most will disagree with me, but I would love to see McCullough play some center while at Syracuse. I don't think a front line of say, he, Grant, and Roberson gets pushed around at all, and SU would have speed and athleticism that other teams just would not be able to match.
If he comes in as 6'10 or so, contests shots and brings his already decent all-around offensive game, he could do a ton of damage bringing big men inside and out.
He has SF skills, but if he grows into the role, ala Davis from Kenturkey, sure why not.

Either way, I see him ending up as a Garnett/Nowitski/Durant kind of player, and hopefully, of that caliber.

Hey Tee, I know you'll love this but apparently Karl Towns took another Tyler Roberson schooling from Cliff Alexander at the tourney in Milwaukee lol.
Poor kid. :)
That's that Sullinger clone, yeah?
I just don't think Towns mixes well with Beasts. He's more of a "European" center. Zing!
260701700001_2238736492001_Roselle.jpg

Poor kid. :)
That's that Sullinger clone, yeah?
I just don't think Towns mixes well with Beasts. He's more of a "European" center. Zing!
260701700001_2238736492001_Roselle.jpg
I think you may been thinking of Jahlil Okafor, who has gotten Sullinger comparisons.
That's big Cliff.

I think you may been thinking of Jahlil Okafor, who has gotten Sullinger comparisons.
That's big Cliff.
Wow! Monster. I can see why he was a problem for poor Karl.
In fact, although Towns has unique ability, I don't know how well this translates to the next two levels.
This isn't exactly a finesse game he's finding out. Has to get tougher and when guys like Alexander and Roberson have already shown him this athletic ability and power on the high school/AAU level; I just don't see him getting there.

Towns has a ways to go in that regard. Nice that a 7 footer can dribble and shoot from outside, but I think he needs some 7 footer's attributes as well. ;)

Wow! Monster. I can see why he was a problem for poor Karl.
In fact, although Towns has unique ability, I don't know how well this translates to the next two levels.
This isn't exactly a finesse game he's finding out. Has to get tougher and when guys like Alexander and Roberson have already shown him this athletic ability and power on the high school/AAU level; I just don't see him getting there.

Towns has a ways to go in that regard. Nice that a 7 footer can dribble and shoot from outside, but I think he needs some 7 footer's attributes as well. ;)
Maybe he's trying to get picked number 1 overall and be on the NY Knicks so he's mimicking his game after Andrea Bargnani

Joseph and Goodluck Mass R.i.v.a.l.s squad were just defeated in the finals at the tourney that they played in. From the reports Joseph played really good but Goodluck was dealing with injuries. They play in another tourney at the same location starting tomorrow. I would assume that JB heads down to DC next to check out McCullough and the Canadians at the Global Challenge.

http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NGC-Game-6-Box-Score.pdf
USA East defeats Canada 102-93. USA East-McCullough 16pts, 7rbs, 1blk. Newton 7pts and 4ast. Briscoe 11pts, 6rbs, 4ast. Canada-Gill-Caesar 18pts and 3rbs. Egi 13pts and 11rbs. Murrray 8pts and 2ast.
Any of this on TV at some point, or is it just Adidas nations that is televised from time to time? I figured Nike would want some of their tournaments getting a lot of national exposure

Any of this on TV at some point, or is it just Adidas nations that is televised from time to time? I figured Nike would want some of their tournaments getting a lot of national exposure
Nah no TV scheduled for the Nike stuff unfortunately. ESPNU is suppose to broadcast some games from the Orlando events next week and the Adidas Nations in August. Nike is really screwing up by not trying to get as much exposure as they can from these events whether on TV or the internet.

Adam Finkelstein@FinkelsteinNERR
Mike Hopkins has followed Kaleb Joseph all tournament. Jim Boeheim now joining him. West Virgina & Providence been here throughout too.

Worried about WVU if Joseph's priority is playing time. They gotta have like what, only 5 dudes left on the roster after all the transfers out? Enjoying the Big 12:rolling:

I feel like the Nike Global Challenge has at least offered a free streaming option on their website in the past, but maybe I'm thinking of another event.

I feel like the Nike Global Challenge has at least offered a free streaming option on their website in the past, but maybe I'm thinking of another event.
The Nike hoops summit probably?

I don't recall that but maybe I could be wrong. I know the FIBA International events offer streams on their website from time to time.

Francis, what is the word on Gerry as a recruiter? Does he have cred out there with the kids and/or is he able to make connections with them like Hop does?

Francis, what is the word on Gerry as a recruiter? Does he have cred out there with the kids and/or is he able to make connections with them like Hop does?
GMac is basically new to the scene with this being his 2nd year as one of the main assistants. Obviously he isn't well connected like Hop or has the strong AAU ties like Red. He is a hard worker, who attends and evaluate at a lot of events. The more experience he gains, the more contacts and connections he'll eventually develop to help us land some studs. He's responsible for getting Buss Patterson last year and is currently the lead man for Derrick Jones. Jones is a great test for GMac to see if he can pull in a big fish as a recruiter already.

Nah no TV scheduled for the Nike stuff unfortunately. ESPNU is suppose to broadcast some games from the Orlando events next week and the Adidas Nations in August. Nike is really screwing up by not trying to get as much exposure as they can from these events whether on TV or the internet.
They aren't the only ones screwing up. Our basketball verbals seem to have hit the wall.:bat:

Worried about WVU if Joseph's priority is playing time. They gotta have like what, only 5 dudes left on the roster after all the transfers out? Enjoying the Big 12:rolling:

They are in free-fall. I'll bet that Huggins is out of that job in a couple years, or else they will just accept being a bad team in a bad league.

Red was at the Peach Jam all last week. He was suppose to be at the Global Challenge this week.
Red is at the Global Challenge today. Checked out Diallo, will watch the Canadians next, and McCullough/Newton/Briscoe later.