Just got back from game... WOW | Syracusefan.com

Just got back from game... WOW

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Won't be a popular post, but staying the truth here... Has nothing to do with me not sticking with my team.. Always will, always have. Just because I criticize them, doesn't mean I'm not "sticking" with them.

First, the only positive from this game is that hopefully Christmas can't possibly play this bad again.. He was as bad as I've ever seen him offensively... On the glass, he is great but he still commits the most dumb fouls which leads me to my second point. The zone is a joke with Mac at center.. Shouldn't be played when he's at center. They scorched it when he was playing that spot. Roberson, Joseph, Gbinje were out of position all night. The best defensive combo up top was by far Patterson and Gbinije. They played for two minutes together and forced a couple TOs which was nice.

Secondly, the shooting! Holy hell! It almost came to the point where I was happy when the ball would just hit the rim so it could give the bigs a chance to get an offensive rebound.. Patterson, Joseph, Roberson, Cooney, all had shots that were just completely not rebound-able due to their either poor shot selection, or bad shooting.. Shooting is all confidence, and it seems like no one on our team has it.. We also have no movement offensively.. Everything seemed to be one on one which is not syracuses strength. And heaven forbid, someone please tell Tyler Roberson that taking a 12-foot, wild floater off of one pass in a possession is not a good possession. Can't watch that all season long... Let the defense work a little first Tyler, and then attack!

Third, I just truly think this team has guys that just don't even look like they belong on the court at this exact time... Guys throwing up air balls, dribbling the ball wildly, throwing the ball all over the gym like it's a grenade.. Value the ball and possession guys.

Last, but not least, is I just don't see how this particular team can string together consistent wins in this brutal league with all the inconsistencies and question marks this team has. EVERY single game in the ACC Will be an absolute dogfight. What do you need in dogfights? A go to guy... Who do we have? Christmas and cooney.. Not exactly the most ideal combo compared to these other teams.

It is so early, and so not warranted to be completely done with the team, but to not see and realize that this will be a tough year, you're just lying to yourself... While I think this team has the potential to win some big games and get into the NCAA tournament, I don't see remotely at all how this team could compete for an ACC championship. That's just the bottom line.

One identity this team can maybe hang their hat on is rebounding! They seemed to be pretty good on the glass tonight..

Last edited:
Looks like I missed a stinker of a game. Sounds from your post that a great deal of work is necessary to turn things around and that you are not very optimistic this possible. Way too early for me to make a judgement like that but then again I haven't watched the game yet.

Looks like I missed a stinker of a game. Sounds from your post that a great deal of work is necessary to turn things around and that you are not very optimistic this possible. Way too early for me to make a judgement like that but then again I haven't watched the game yet.
I think it's just a combination of a lot of important aspects.. Aspects you need to have in order to compete consistently in an outstanding league like the ACC.. Bottom line, NO ONE looks confident out there. That's what concerns me a lot.

I miss the Karl avatar. That post just fit it perfectly for some reaon(maybe because my mindset is halfway between the Doyle and Morris characters right now). You said how many of us are feeling right now, and Ive come to respect you as a poster and look forward to more of your stuff man. This wasn't the most enjoyable orange to digest.

Won't be a popular post, but staying the truth here... Has nothing to do with me not sticking with my team.. Always will, always have. Just because I criticize them, doesn't mean I'm not "sticking" with them.

First, the only positive from this game is that hopefully Christmas can't possibly play this bad again.. He was as bad as I've ever seen him offensively... On the glass, he is great but he still commits the most dumb fouls which leads me to my second point. The zone is a joke with Mac at center.. Shouldn't be played when he's at center. They scorched it when he was playing that spot. Roberson, Joseph, Gbinje were out of position all night. The best defensive combo up top was by far Patterson and Gbinije. They played for two minutes together and forced a couple TOs which was nice.

Secondly, the shooting! Holy hell! It almost came to the point where I was happy when the ball would just hit the rim so it could give the bigs a chance to get an offensive rebound.. Patterson, Joseph, Roberson, Cooney, all had shots that were just completely not rebound-able due to their either poor shot selection, or bad shooting.. Shooting is all confidence, and it seems like no one on our team has it.. We also have no movement offensively.. Everything seemed to be one on one which is not syracuses strength. And heaven forbid, someone please tell Tyler Roberson that taking a 12-foot, wild floater off of one pass in a possession is not a good possession. Can't watch that all season long... Let the defense work a little first Tyler, and then attack!

Third, I just truly think this team has guys that just don't even look like they belong on the court at this exact time... Guys throwing up air balls, dribbling the ball wildly, throwing the ball all over the gym like it's a grenade.. Value the ball and possession guys.

Last, but not least, is I just don't see how this particular team can string together consistent wins in this brutal league with all the inconsistencies and question marks this team has. EVERY single game in the ACC Will be an absolute dogfight. What do you need in dogfights? A go to guy... Who do we have? Christmas and cooney.. Not exactly the most ideal combo compared to these other teams.

It is so early, and so not warranted to be completely done with the team, but to not see and realize that this will be a tough year, you're just lying to yourself... While I think this team has the potential to win some big games and get into the NCAA tournament, I don't see remotely at all how this team could compete for an ACC championship. That's just the bottom line.

One identity this team can maybe hang their hat on is rebounding! They seemed to be pretty good on the glass tonight..

I'd rather see this team struggle and gradually get better, make the tourney at any seed and acquit themselves competently, than what happened last year - rattle off 25 straight wins and then collapse into an early exit.

As Vitale pointed last night (I actually thought he made several meaningful statements unlike the drivel from Saunders), this team will have to get much better to compete near the top of the ACC.

As Vitale pointed last night, this team will have to get much better to compete near the top of the ACC.
That's right...we'll have to get MUCH better or face the possibility of Boeheim's first losing season.
But as I mentioned on another thread...this situation shouldn't be any surprise.

We lost a solid point guard who rarely turned the ball over.
We lost an All-American senior leader and "go to" scorer.
We lost a strong defender/rebounder who could have had a breakout year.

We have a team full of question marks with no experience and no depth in the post (unless Coleman returns).
It's all about how they jell and improve.
Fortunately, Jim Boheim has tended to do his best coaching with "challenged" teams.

It's one game at a time.
Tonight we have to give Iowa a little welcome to New York.

the only dog fights in the acc that we will have will be against the bottom half. we be simply killed by the rest.

I have to keep reminding myself of the sports axiom, "you're never as good when you win and never as bad when you lose." Agree with all the critiques of the game last night, the second half was one of the worst halves we've seen in awhile. I think we will see nice improvement of this team throughout the year but realistically there might be a lower ceiling to this team than any in recent memory. It would be a great shot in the arm if Coleman can play this December but haven't heard anything that is optimistic on that front. We are painfully thin in the middle of the zone with no viable option when Rak is not on the floor. It comes down to a question that can't be answered right now, "how much will the freshman and sophomores improve" going forward. Don't expect us to be that competitive with top ACC teams this year but hopefully can be competitive with the bottom half of the league.

Cal made a bunch of contested threes, too. They may be able to beat Texas today, actually. Haven't seen so much "bull rushing" to the basket in a game in a while. Lots of guys just went right into their defender and threw something up at the basket. JB will figure it out, but it looked like a lot of young players and that's exactly what SU is. Good for G, though, he had a good game and really provided a spark. Not sure what JB sees in Roberson to start him over Mike, but maybe he just wants to bring in someone who can make a difference off the bench. This team needed some more cupcakes before playing in a big game against a good, veteran squad. Can only go up from here!

Agree with a lot of that; it's too bad that our best defensive guard combination gets so little court time.

The use of McCullough at center is the strangest thing I've seen in a lifetime of watching Syracuse basketball. In no universe can this be successful. He tries hard, but he's not a center. And he's about as strong as Billy Celuck. It's difficult to believe that this gives us the best chance to win, today or in March. A team needs two centers. McCullough can't become one.

Christmas...yikes. There's a big difference in his productivity when he's able to post up 3 feet away and when he's pushed out to 8 or 9 feet. He's still got the bad habit of fading away and making shots harder than they should be. And the release isn't consistent. It'd be good to see him kick the ball out of doubles and triples; he's a good passer and I know he's capable. And can't we run something that frees him up? Great high pick and roll to start the game, then I don't think we saw it again. Not a great game for him, though it's nice to see him stay active on defense while everything is chaotic around him.

My biggest takeaway was we looked physically inferior. It was like Kentucky vs Kansas but we played Cal. Joseph looked scared, Cooney looks like a mid-major player, Roberson looks like he's 5'5 and does everything in a spastic manner, McCullough and BJJ look like they've never eaten protein, while the only players who looked like they belonged were G and Rak.

Agree with a lot of that; it's too bad that our best defensive guard combination gets so little court time.

The use of McCullough at center is the strangest thing I've seen in a lifetime of watching Syracuse basketball. In no universe can this be successful. He tries hard, but he's not a center. And he's about as strong as Billy Celuck. It's difficult to believe that this gives us the best chance to win, today or in March. A team needs two centers. McCullough can't become one.

Christmas...yikes. There's a big difference in his productivity when he's able to post up 3 feet away and when he's pushed out to 8 or 9 feet. He's still got the bad habit of fading away and making shots harder than they should be. And the release isn't consistent. It'd be good to see him kick the ball out of doubles and triples; he's a good passer and I know he's capable. And can't we run something that frees him up? Great high pick and roll to start the game, then I don't think we saw it again. Not a great game for him, though it's nice to see him stay active on defense while everything is chaotic around him.

When Christmas is out the team needs to play man-to-man.

As an optimist is see a young team that needs a go to guy to emerge from the two starting freshman. I do not see this team being successful on a consistent basis with Christmas as to go to guy for points. He hits the bottom of the rim to many time from 5-8 feet. The defense played well for most of the game and if they could have put up any kind of offense the game would of been close. Come January and the baptism by fire for this young team is over I think they play into that number 5 league spots as project. Will have a couple of good wins with equal bad. Get to the dance and who knows, their not a rookie team by then, things could happen. December is going to be a difficult month. I will be at the Villanova game with clients will see what we can do against their shooters, dinner is riding on it.

You guys are really embracing the meltdown! Yikes. Guys take deep breath! A week ago everyone knew we had young players and that we'd have ups and downs. Now everybody is freaking out because we saw it.

Couple points:
1. Cal is a very experienced team with good size. They've seen us, most of the guys on the court have played Syracuse twice already and the one who didn't is a McD AA. Further, they came in shooting more than. 40% from 3. All that is a worst case scenario for an immature Cuse team in their first real game.

2. Our players are fine in terms of size and ability. Joseph was overwhelmed and tentative all night which led to at least 4 turnovers and many other dysfunctions. Roberson was the same. I know KJ will be fine and hope that TR will be too.

3. Tops on my concern list is Cooney. I came into the season thinking he'd step up big time and really be good this year. He has not shown that at all and I'm now worried about him. BJ was beyond pitiful and frankly embarrassed himself for the whole time he was on the court. Not that I was thinking he'd be a leader for this team but woah.

4. Mike G was very good and CMac was too. Xmas will be better than he was and I think that's a good core.

5. Coach needs to install an offense. We haven't had one since 2012 and I don't know why. With young players it is especially important to have a plan they are following. As far as I can tell JB drew up one offensive play for the game and we ran it on the first possession and presto everyone looked pretty good and got 2 points.

Xmas had some decent looks. He would have a three foot shot and hardly hit the rim with it. Xmas is a smart player in a lot of facets except he will be on the bench all season from bad fouls... Joseph gets beat off the dribble just about every time in the zone. He isn't ready for 30 mins in HM bball yet. Think he has a TON of potential but he has a ton of room for improvement and Syracuse has always had a real strong PG these past couple years..

As what other people said, I think this team will improve throughout the year. But to get smoked by Cal in MSG the third game of the year was not the best sign in the world.. ALSO, the staff already looked so frustrated. That's another observation I got. They seemed like it had been a long pre season and weren't surprised by this at all. Hopkins was overly frustrated with Rak. GMAC was flat out pissed and hardly could look at the game sometimes. Just an interesting observation. They're used to winning 30-35 games! That's why !

Interesting observation on the coaches. Every time they showed them on TV they were just staring forward and catatonic. Did they actually attempt to coach the players at some points?

When Christmas is out the team needs to play man-to-man.
SU does not know how to play a good m-2-m. Playground or YMCA league m-2-m is not good m-2-m.

You guys are really embracing the meltdown! Yikes. Guys take deep breath! A week ago everyone knew we had young players and that we'd have ups and downs. Now everybody is freaking out because we saw it.

Couple points:
1. Cal is a very experienced team with good size. They've seen us, most of the guys on the court have played Syracuse twice already and the one who didn't is a McD AA. Further, they came in shooting more than. 40% from 3. All that is a worst case scenario for an immature Cuse team in their first real game.

2. Our players are fine in terms of size and ability. Joseph was overwhelmed and tentative all night which led to at least 4 turnovers and many other dysfunctions. Roberson was the same. I know KJ will be fine and hope that TR will be too.

3. Tops on my concern list is Cooney. I came into the season thinking he'd step up big time and really be good this year. He has not shown that at all and I'm now worried about him. BJ was beyond pitiful and frankly embarrassed himself for the whole time he was on the court. Not that I was thinking he'd be a leader for this team but woah.

4. Mike G was very good and CMac was too. Xmas will be better than he was and I think that's a good core.

5. Coach needs to install an offense. We haven't had one since 2012 and I don't know why. With young players it is especially important to have a plan they are following. As far as I can tell JB drew up one offensive play for the game and we ran it on the first possession and presto everyone looked pretty good and got 2 points.
I think a lot of people this year are kidding themselves in over-rating the ability of most of our players. I don't say it to be critical just honest. Outside of McCullough there is not a high level talent on the roster, and his inexperience and lack of strength shows. It's not like what we are used to. Hopefully help is on the way next year.

This may sound crazy but I actually think this team is confident. We don't see to much hesitating or fear of being benched (outside maybe patterson/obokoh). They have nothing to lose.

I think its more bad offense then anything last night. And we gave Cal 22 assists some easy buckets inside and hot streaks from 3.

Just one basic thing on. Xmas. I like him in the midpost shooting but we don't have a low post guy like coleman to back up his misses. And he tends to shoot over his man instead of going around them which forces him to go over the back when he shouldn't.

Our chemistry was so bad last night there wasn't even a door to try new things sitting there. I expect we will find a few with time.

Cooney and joseph are the pick when to force it on offense type of players right now. Forcing being a key word. imo, Chris and Rak are alittle more then that right now thankfully, and Gbinije may be with them. I feel the one guy who disapeared but is capable of doing so much more is BJ. If BJ can attempt 10-15 jumpshots against some decent defense early on I will be happy, way to tentative on his part last night.

Last edited:
This may sound crazy but I actually think this team is confident. We don't see to much hesitating or fear of being benched (outside maybe patterson/obokoh). They have nothing to lose.

I think its more bad offense then anything last night. And we gave Cal 22 assists some easy buckets inside and hot streaks from 3.

Just one basic thing on. Xmas. I like him in the midpost shooting but we don't have a low post guy like coleman to back up his misses. And he tends to shoot over his man instead of going around them which forces him to go over the back when he shouldn't.

Our chemistry was so bad last night there wasn't even a door to try new things sitting there. I expect we will find a few with time.

Cooney and joseph are the pick when to force it on offense type of players right now. Forcing being a key word. imo, Chris and Rak are alittle more then that right now thankfully, and Gbinije may be with them. I feel the one guy who disapeared but is capable of doing so much more is BJ. If BJ can attempt 10-15 jumpshots against some decent defense early on I will be happy, way to tentative on his part last night.

I felt the opposite, frankly. He jacked up 8 shots in 13 minutes. Couple of deep threes within no flow of the offense and then there was the hilarious layup attempt when he got packed.

The best part of last night's game was when they showed the kid in the Duke shirt on the jumbotron and EVERYBODY booed and was louder than at any other point in the night. That pretty much sums up the game for me.

My biggest takeaway was we looked physically inferior. It was like Kentucky vs Kansas but we played Cal. Joseph looked scared, Cooney looks like a mid-major player, Roberson looks like he's 5'5 and does everything in a spastic manner, McCullough and BJJ look like they've never eaten protein, while the only players who looked like they belonged were G and Rak.

I had similar thoughts while watching the game: physically, we do not look like a team that is ready to compete at a high level. Agree on G and Rak looking the part. Everyone else, well, have some work to do. It is a young team. Confidence looked like it wasn't there which is why I think JB didn't go off his rocker regarding the sloppy play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom