Just rewatched key parts | Syracusefan.com

Just rewatched key parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.

And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.

Don't tell this to the geniuses on this board that think they know better. God forbid it was for damn good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
199fc1991d79d23592e4d467d3fd605721d7f238e9ffabc68e558542819e9a85.jpg

I didn't rewatch but it looked to me like the right side of the field was wide open for anything. I was frustrated as the next person that we *HAD* to call the TO, more frustrated at the players for being out of position. I was not angry with Shafer for calling it, I think most rational people would have done the same thing under the circumstances.

I don't have a problem with coaches playing the field position game when they have the lead. Most coaches make those decisions. 4th and 1 midfieldish and punt - BFD as far as I'm concerned.

I have more of an issue with the disorganization on the offensive side of the ball in the second half than anything. I get Dungey being out and I didn't expect 2nd half Wake or 1st half of this game like performance - Dungey is the real deal at QB as far as I'm concerned and the dropoff between him and anyone else on the roster is significant. One of the things we really got on McDonald about last year was playing to your players' strengths and I really didn't get that feel in the second half. I felt Lester did a fantastic job calling plays after Dungey got hurt, but the second half was the polar opposite to the last half of the 2nd quarter and I didn't understand why. Seemed to me like we played not to lose until we were about to lose then we try to open it up with a guy known for having poor accuracy down field and throw an INT. I expect some drop off in talent when backups come in, I get that, but it felt so disjointed the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Thought the same thing. The D looked like they weren't ready. Shafer wanted them set properly.

Yes people would be yelling at Shafer no matter what because his coaching ability was very very poor in that instance.

you want to make the offense make a good play not give them a gimme

Yes people would be yelling at Shafer no matter what because his coaching ability was very very poor in that instance.

How is it his fault that the players were out of position?

Yeah. I was pissed at first. Watched it again and am not as pissed.

The TD throw should have been knocked down. Those guys out there should be ashamed that ball got caught.

Chris02M said:
you want to make the offense make a good play not give them a gimme

And the TD they got was a perfectly placed ball and great catch. We had 4 guys right there. Whigham turns a bit and he knocks it away. That was like one of those Hail Mary plays.

And the TD they got was a perfectly placed ball and great catch. We had 4 guys right there. Whigham turns a bit and he knocks it away. That was like one of those Hail Mary plays.
Not the Hail Mary debate again ;):bat::rolling:

are you saying they might have scored there ? (conjecture) cuz they did next play (fact) !

the last play was nothing like the 45 check downs to the back they kept killing us on most of the game

I agree that them scoring a TD after the play should have no baring when you look at the decision to take the TO.

But the players were not ready for a quick play after the 2nd down. That is on the coach.

Yeah. I was pissed at first. Watched it again and am not as pissed.

The TD throw should have been knocked down. Those guys out there should be ashamed that ball got caught.

Good call. I'm more pissed about that than I am the time-out or the delay of game on 4th and 1.

I agree that them scoring a TD after the play should have no baring when you look at the decision to take the TO.

But the players were not ready for a quick play after the 2nd down. That is on the coach.

On the Defensive Coordinator. The HC does not call defensive plays during the game or is responsible for cycling players in or out. If you want to blame someone for that, you blame Bullough.

Unless you are going the route of it being Shafer's fault because he hired Bullough. Which is ridiculous.

The HC is responsible for game management and that's exactly where we failed.

I'm 100% ok with the timeout, I'd much rather be organized.

To me the biggest concern is how easy CMU made it look moving the ball against our Defense. No one plays with any sense of discipline on that side of the ball and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. Bullough does not impress me at all:

Poor tackling, #89 ran wide open all day, we consistently bite on play fakes, we got totally smoked on 2 screen passes today (got lucky on a 3rd), we gave up way too many 3rd down conversions.

Now I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt today because the loss of Dungey made our offense look like a modified squad which led to a lot of minutes on the field for the defense. Also we haven't really discussed this angle, it may not have any merit but that cheap shot to Dungey and then losing him for the game made me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine what it did to the psyche of Shaf and the players. Maybe a little bit of shell shock and woe is me attitude?

Dungey's face should be superimposed on those old Obama posters. Hope. That's how important he is to this program right now. Him going down in that manner was a major gut punch.

I'm 100% ok with the timeout, I'd much rather be organized.

To me the biggest concern is how easy CMU made it look moving the ball against our Defense. No one plays with any sense of discipline on that side of the ball and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. Bullough does not impress me at all:

Poor tackling, #89 ran wide open all day, we consistently bite on play fakes, we got totally smoked on 2 screen passes today (got lucky on a 3rd), we gave up way too many 3rd down conversions.

Now I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt today because the loss of Dungey made our offense look like a modified squad which led to a lot of minutes on the field for the defense. Also we haven't really discussed this angle, it may not have any merit but that cheap shot to Dungey and then losing him for the game made me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine what it did to the psyche of Shaf and the players. Maybe a little bit of shell shock and woe is me attitude?

Dungey's face should be superimposed on those old Obama posters. Hope. That's how important he is to this program right now. Him going down in that manner was a major gut punch.

The tackling was of concern and the amount of times the secondary were out of position. This is two games in a row where the secondary has had issues being in position either prior to the snap or properly matching up after a snap. The secondary has a lot of work to do.

rrlbees said:

Whigham was the one that I hoped would find the ball but he never looked for it.

I haven't said anything about the timeout. The one thing I thought at the time was that at least he waited until right about the time they were going to snap the ball.

The part that frustrated me was that CMU wasn't exactly hurrying (for some reason) so why were we so completely disorganized?

Can we question how the D didn't know the coverage when CMU was trying to get to the line after a sack? It wasn't a rushed situation and it shouldn't result in a TO there.

Can we question the decision not to line up on 4th and 1 and see if they jump, which their D had already done twice in the game?

I really want to question the jet sweep after the fumble recovery, putting SU in 2nd and long and needing to pass

How many times did CMU throw to their TEs? From what I'm seeing (DVR), they really did a good job and created some mismatches between their TEs and our secondary. Hard to defend against a 6'5" 260 lbs guy when you're about 5" smaller and 70-80 pounds lighter...

I don't think that it was necessarily the wrong call for a TO but it's inexcusable that the D got the play they wanted (a sack), had time to get into their next coverage, and blew it. The scenario was exactly what you would want and the team lost the advantage. So, while it might be ok that the TO was called, you can't say that it turned out the way that it should have and that it's excusable.

How many times did CMU throw to their TEs? From what I'm seeing (DVR), they really did a good job and created some mismatches between their TEs and our secondary. Hard to defend against a 6'5" 260 lbs guy when you're about 5" smaller and 70-80 pounds lighter...
McCord had 10 catches for 147 yards
Conklin had 1 for 22 yards
Both very big boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online