Just rewatched key parts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Just rewatched key parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see this happening elsewhere.

Yes. We are the only team in the country that has this happen. #Clueless.

We take a lot of D TOs because of disorganization.

Really? How many have we taken this year? And define "a lot".

Part of the coaches job is to make decisions in a quick manner. If they cannot, then they are failing at their job. This isn't even debatable.

So, they screw up one call and they are failing at their jobs. # Clueless.

As I said, hold yourself to the same standard that you hold them to.

Sorry it is his job to get a play call in quickly. He had 22 seconds! What happened it is totally unacceptable in the FIRST quarter, let alone the end of the game. I don't see this happening elsewhere. We take a lot of D TOs because of disorganization. Part of the coaches job is to make decisions in a quick manner. If they cannot, then they are failing at their job. This isn't even debatable.
I take a break for a little while, and THIS pops up. Ugh.

Dude, that 4th quarter TO was explained a billion different ways, and you STILL don't get it. You must be a MONUMENTAL kind of special...

Yes. We are the only team in the country that has this happen. #Clueless.

Really? How many have we taken this year? And define "a lot".

So, they screw up one call and they are failing at their jobs. # Clueless.

As I said, hold yourself to the same standard that you hold them to.

Where have you seen it? Give me one example if it happens all the time. Guess what? You can't. If CMU had completed a pass and was hurrying to the LOS then I would be happy that Shafer took a TO. Because we would need it to regroup. When you get a sack and have 22 seconds to get a play in, there is no need to regroup. It is CMU that needs to regroup. :crazy:

I am not going to go back and count but I would guess we take close to 1 D TO per game.

Sorry but if I made a decision that cost my company, I would be fired. I AM IN NO WAY SAYING SHAFER SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS. What I am saying is that it was something that nearly cost us a game. Anytime a coach nearly costs his team the game is unacceptable. Shafer failed in this INSTANCE, not his career. Luckily it didn't cost us, so no big deal as long as it doesn't happen often. But lets not act like that wasn't a failed situation.

Coaches are human. They make mistakes. I don't get how some people here think Shafer is the only perfect HC in history and never does anything wrong.

I take a break for a little while, and THIS pops up. Ugh.

Dude, that 4th quarter TO was explained a billion different ways, and you STILL don't get it. You must be a MONUMENTAL kind of special...

You think it is ok to not get a play in over a 22 second period? I understand why the TO was taken. My issue was that it shouldn't have been needed. There hasn't been a SINGLE explanation as to why our D was confused and why the D call did not get in on time. So you are very wrong.

Where have you seen it? Give me one example if it happens all the time. Guess what? You can't. If CMU had completed a pass and was hurrying to the LOS then I would be happy that Shafer took a TO. Because we would need it to regroup. When you get a sack and have 22 seconds to get a play in, there is no need to regroup. It is CMU that needs to regroup. :crazy:

I am not going to go back and count but I would guess we take close to 1 D TO per game.

Sorry but if I made a decision that cost my company, I would be fired. I AM IN NO WAY SAYING SHAFER SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS. What I am saying is that it was something that nearly cost us a game. Anytime a coach nearly costs his team the game is unacceptable. Shafer failed in this INSTANCE, not his career. Luckily it didn't cost us, so no big deal as long as it doesn't happen often. But lets not act like that wasn't a failed situation.

Coaches are human. They make mistakes. I don't get how some people here think Shafer is the only perfect HC in history and never does anything wrong.
Have you read this board? No one here thinks Shafer is perfect. I will say this, I have seen some really stupid decisions by coaches in the last two weeks. Bobby Petrino didn't know the rules and than lied about it in a game two weeks ago.

You think it is ok to not get a play in over a 22 second period? I understand why the TO was taken. My issue was that it shouldn't have been needed. There hasn't been a SINGLE explanation as to why our D was confused and why the D call did not get in on time. So you are very wrong.
Because, sometimes, happens. Even to Saban and Alabama.

Personally, I just think you wanna bitch.

Point's been made by several here MUCH more knowledgeable than myself. I defer to their expertise.

And I only take shots at people like yourself.
Well, you shouldn't take shots at people like him. I don't know Otto and very rarely agree with him. But he is entitled to his view and his opinion. As are you and me. I think his opinion on this subject has been rejected by most here. No need to insult him.

Well, you shouldn't take shots at people like him. I don't know Otto and very rarely agree with him. But he is entitled to his view and his opinion. As are you and me. I think his opinion on this subject has been rejected by most here. No need to insult him.
I disagree. Not all opinions are valid, otherwise we'd still be drilling holes in people's heads to relieve headaches and people would still be riding in the back of a bus down in Selma. Also, there are numerous posts and, for that matter, articles explaining the how and why of the TO.

It happened in the OSU and Alabama games but since its Saban and Meyer you'll give them a pass right? You sit here and act like he is the only one who does something wrong in a situation where I hate to break it to you, he did the right thing.

It happened in the OSU and Alabama games but since its Saban and Meyer you'll give them a pass right? You sit here and act like he is the only one who does something wrong in a situation where I hate to break it to you, he did the right thing.

Ah, but K knows all, and sees all. He is omniscient.

I disagree. Not all opinions are valid, otherwise we'd still be drilling holes in people's heads to relieve headaches and people would still be riding in the back of a bus down in Selma. Also, there are numerous posts and, for that matter, articles explaining the how and why of the TO.

Ok then please explain why the D was disorganized because I haven't seen it. The play nearly cost us a game. It is valid to analyze it. This wasn't a first Q play. The biggest play of the game going wrong isn't bitching.

Here is how I think the situation should have gone:

-Coaching Booth after the sack: "F yeah!" Ok let's go with so and so play defensively"

-Play gets relayed down to the players on the field.

-Players turn to the crowd waving their hands to make noise.

-CMU snaps the ball.

This is what happened:

-we get a sack.

-no play gets relayed to the players on the field.

-the players are looking at the sideline with their hands in the air asking what to do.

-CMU finally gets regrouped and is ready to lien up at the LOS.

-Shafer calls a TO because the D is not ready despite having 22 seconds to get ready.

I don't think the "what should have happened" is unreasonable. I think what actually happened was bad. It could have cost us the game. It was a mistake by the staff. Mistakes happen. But lets not act like it wasn't a mistake.

If we lost that game in overtime would people still be defending the timeout?

In the end Im ok with it because we dont know what the result would have been if he didnt call it and we won regardless BUT if we lost that game I think a lot of people here that are defending it would be silent or part of the rabble rousers. Winning excuses mistakes, losing highlights them.

The first quarter of the season is over and our record is as good as it possibly can be right now. Let that soak in, feel good about it! Anyways next week is a clean slate (where we most likely get rolled). We just need to find 3 wins in the final 9 games.

Ok then please explain why the D was disorganized because I haven't seen it. The play nearly cost us a game. It is valid to analyze it. This wasn't a first Q play. The biggest play of the game going wrong isn't bitching.

Here is how I think the situation should have gone:

-Coaching Booth after the sack: "F yeah!" Ok let's go with so and so play defensively"

-Play gets relayed down to the players on the field.

-Players turn to the crowd waving their hands to make noise.

-CMU snaps the ball.

This is what happened:

-we get a sack.

-no play gets relayed to the players on the field.

-the players are looking at the sideline with their hands in the air asking what to do.

-CMU finally gets regrouped and is ready to lien up at the LOS.

-Shafer calls a TO because the D is not ready despite having 22 seconds to get ready.

I don't think the "what should have happened" is unreasonable. I think what actually happened was bad. It could have cost us the game. It was a mistake by the staff. Mistakes happen. But lets not act like it wasn't a mistake.
Search function, dude. It's already been posted, as I said, by many more knowing than myself.

When has that happened to either? I don't recall an end of the game situation where their D was disorganized and couldn't get a play call within 22 seconds. If it did happen I would say they same thing that they failed the SITUATION. You can fail a situation and not be a failure as a HC. People fail situations all the time, because HCs are human. I don't get why people can't accept that the situation was a fail.

Go back and watch the Auburn/Bama game with the FG return for a touchdown ... good God man do you watch football at all or do you just like to sit and rail on this staff even after they win a ball game? What I don't get is why you can't get the fact that based on the the way the guys were lined up in the secondary he HAD TO TAKE A TIMEOUT ... are you that thick?

My problem was with us not being lined up in the first place, not the TO. I have made that point clear.

My problem was with us not being lined up in the first place, not the TO. I have made that point clear.

You do realize that its not like CMU has to wait for SU to get a play in ... in a hurry up with only 22 seconds on the clock they are going to run as quickly as possible ... go back and watch the sequence. You make it sound like Bullough had a full playclock to find a play and get it in ... again you just want something to complain about ... there was no substitution and it was far from the natural flow of the game. The result of the previous play is always going to impact your next call and CMU obviously was going to snap it ASAP without subbing and not letting any time come off the clock ... they had time to run two plays whether the clock stopped or not.

You do realize that its not like CMU has to wait for SU to get a play in ... in a hurry up with only 22 seconds on the clock they are going to run as quickly as possible ... go back and watch the sequence. You make it sound like Bullough had a full playclock to find a play and get it in ... again you just want something to complain about ... there was no substitution and it was far from the natural flow of the game. The result of the previous play is always going to impact your next call and CMU obviously was going to snap it ASAP without subbing and not letting any time come off the clock ... they had time to run two plays whether the clock stopped or not.

You are wrong. CMU was not hurrying up at all. The sack happened with 37 seconds left. The TO came with 15 seconds left. Bullough had 22 seconds to between the sack and the TO. You are misinterpreting my point. If the sack happened at 22 and the TO at 15, I wouldn't have a problem. Instead Bullough had a normal play clock to get a play in. That is my issue. It was in the natural flow of the game. CMU was not trying to snap it ASAP. Did you watch the game?

Our secondary isn't very good. Young kids are gonna screw up and HCSS thought it was a big enough issue that he needed to react. We lost the play but won the war.

Your arm must be getting really tired. Try something a bit lighter, like a pamphlet =D

Hey bcubs, looks like Steven twisted/tweaked his ankle - did he say anything. Looked like Raymon tweaked something too - that's what I don't like about asking the D to be on the field for so long - they get tired and get injury prone...

Hey bcubs, looks like Steven twisted/tweaked his ankle - did he say anything. Looked like Raymon tweaked something too - that's what I don't like about asking the D to be on the field for so long - they get tired and get injury prone...
Talked to him this morning. He said he was fine. Of course, he'd say that if he were bleeding out of his eyeballs. But, he's fine.

You are wrong. CMU was not hurrying up at all. The sack happened with 37 seconds left. The TO came with 15 seconds left. Bullough had 22 seconds to between the sack and the TO. You are misinterpreting my point. If the sack happened at 22 and the TO at 15, I wouldn't have a problem. Instead Bullough had a normal play clock to get a play in. That is my issue. It was in the natural flow of the game. CMU was not trying to snap it ASAP. Did you watch the game?

They were in a hurry up if the ball stayed in play ... are you kidding me? The reason there were not a ton of quick snaps was because of all the stoppages of play due to injury, time outs, incompletions and receivers going out of bounds. Arcinega completed the sack with 35 seconds left ... the CMU coach is waving their hurry up O ... SU sideline started signalling for timeout as secondary makes a late shift ... timeout is granted late by officials with 15 seconds left ... I just watched the replay ... AGAIN DO YOU WATCH THESE GAMES? They were not only in a hurryup but were about to snap the ball when the timeout was granted ... they were lined up pretty quickly considering Rush was sacked. The ball was not even placed down by the officials for down and distance and set until there was about 28 seconds left ... again just let it go. CMU was absolutely in a hurry up at that point in the game and were in position to run a play. We have an entire board screaming about nothing working now we have guys complaining that it didn't come in fast enough because heaven forbid he try to find something that woudl work ... Ironically enough coach Lea and company were sending in the play right before the timeout was granted ... you had a defense that played 22 out of 30 minutes in the second half and was gassed and late getting lined up. Just let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom