Just rewatched key parts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just rewatched key parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one point to add, its the third game of the season not the first, and I don't think we thought by any means we would blow this team away. I also agree with the point about the mismatches CMU created that is a reason to call one with 45 seconds left in the game. Its not like we are driving back down for a field goal even if they score.

3rd game in a row and we are staying away from the penalties, I commend that. That is part of what made Marrone so successful imo.

Last edited:
the big boys (wr/te) are absolutely killing us. wakes ceviche (sp) ran wild against us last week. we are failing right now at covering the bigger targets .

Taking the time-out IS game management.

Being forced to take a TO because your players weren't prepared for an end of game play is not good coaching no matter how you guys try and spin it.

Being forced to take a TO because your players weren't prepared for an end of game play is not good coaching no matter how you guys try and spin it.

it's like when DC comics bad guys try to explain the glory of their crimes rather than just putting the bullet to the brainpan. end it!

The HC is responsible for game management and that's exactly where we failed.
He actually didn't fail because they won the game. You do realize they won and are 3-0?

skurey said:
Yes people would be yelling at Shafer no matter what because his coaching ability was very very poor in that instance.

Nope. He's been a hell of a DC and knows when they are out of whack. Smart play no matter what.

Nope. He's been a hell of a DC and knows when they are out of whack. Smart play no matter what.

Well he must not have been watching the entire second half because there would have been a lot more TOs called!

skurey said:
You do realize bad decisions can result in good things?

And good decisions can lead to bad things. That's why you being so certain is puzzling and why you're getting pushback.

Football is a game of percentages. He thought his D would have a better chance to stop the offense if they knew what they were doing and were lined up properly.

And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.

No that makes too much sense! We must complain as much as humanly possible!

And good decisions can lead to bad things. That's why you being so certain is puzzling and why you're getting pushback.

Football is a game of percentages. He thought his D would have a better chance to stop the offense if they knew what they were doing and were lined up properly.

And I'm saying the fact we needed to call a TO in that situation is pathetic. That's where I'm pushing back.

skurey said:
And I'm saying the fact we needed to call a TO in that situation is pathetic. That's where I'm pushing back.

Okay. Then you agree is was 100% the right call to make.

I do not but I don't have access to all the information that you and SS do.

The timeout situation is just weird. What did our defense think was going to happen? How are they confused as to what to do? It's the end of the game, time is running out, they aren't even hurrying so why is everyone so confused. What do we practice if such a simple end of game situation is so chaotic. Everything about it was just weird.

Also, tight ends are tall, that's not unique to CMU. Defenses do know how to stop them. They aren't some mystical new position that nobody has figured out.

longislandcuse said:
The timeout situation is just weird. What did our defense think was going to happen? How are they confused as to what to do? It's the end of the game, time is running out, they aren't even hurrying so why is everyone so confused. What do we practice if such a simple end of game situation is so chaotic. Everything about it was just weird. Also, tight ends are tall, that's not unique to CMU. Defenses do know how to stop them. They aren't some mystical new position that nobody has figured out.

Young. And. Inconsistent.

Did anyone notice Whigham #1 play at all in OT?

And the TD they got was a perfectly placed ball and great catch. We had 4 guys right there. Whigham turns a bit and he knocks it away. That was like one of those Hail Mary plays.
All defense had to do is bat the ball to the ground .

And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.
Corey was at the 15 yard line when CMU approached the line of scrimmage and Whigham did not have a clue where he was supposed to be. It was a good TO call by Shafer.

tbonezone said:
are you saying they might have scored there ? (conjecture) cuz they did next play (fact) !

Yea, they might have scored easily. And you don't sit there and think we'll they'll score on the next play anyways. Hindsight is 20/20.

tep624 said:
On the Defensive Coordinator. The HC does not call defensive plays during the game or is responsible for cycling players in or out. If you want to blame someone for that, you blame Bullough. Unless you are going the route of it being Shafer's fault because he hired Bullough. Which is ridiculous.

Won't argue that because at some point there 4 different players were looking for a call from the sideline. But that's a total different issue than calling the TO. Every coach would have called that TO under the circumstances of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom