Just rewatched key parts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just rewatched key parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corey was at the 15 yard line when CMU approached the line of scrimmage and Whigham did not have a clue where he was supposed to be. It was a good TO call by Shafer.

I thought that's what might have happened. Coach SS was screaming at him as he came off the field. I looked for him in OT and didn't see him on the field.

And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.
Having a Defense in the final minutes not knowing where to be is a good thing?

Young inexperienced players can get confused on any team my friend. They are teenagers for christ sake

Being forced to take a TO because your players weren't prepared for an end of game play is not good coaching no matter how you guys try and spin it.
Players line up wrong and get confused at times at all levels of football causing the need for a time out. It happens everywhere and is not necessarily a function of coaching.

Sudano said:

I don't think I said that. I'm saying specifically the TO was the right decision at that point. I'm not defending their confusion.

How many times did CMU throw to their TEs? From what I'm seeing (DVR), they really did a good job and created some mismatches between their TEs and our secondary. Hard to defend against a 6'5" 260 lbs guy when you're about 5" smaller and 70-80 pounds lighter...

There's got to be some defensive adjustment for this, right? I actually feel a little bad for the DBs because there was no adjustment; it was a sh!tstorm every CMU series.
I wonder if Fred Reed and Chuck Bullough have a lot of discussions that need to be had.

There's got to be some defensive adjustment for this, right? I actually feel a little bad for the DBs because there was no adjustment; it was a sh!tstorm every CMU series.
I wonder if Fred Reed and Chuck Bullough have a lot of discussions that need to be had.
Well, one adjustment is to get bigger DBs =D

But seriously, with the size disparity, their technique has got to be impeccable. Our DBs are still young, mostly frosh and sophomores. They're really still developing. I do believe they'll get better as they get more games under their belt. Just going to take time.

The problem is that our starting safeties are at UMass and some junior college in Kansas...

The problem is that our starting safeties are at UMass and some junior college in Kansas...

Do you think Blair ever makes it to Syracuse? That would be awesome if true; just not sure if it's likely.

Do you think Blair ever makes it to Syracuse? That would be awesome if true; just not sure if it's likely.
Yeah no, ship has sailed I think... Just saying those two would have brought some seriously needed size to the secondary. On top of hailing from the Land of Munchkin Land, our secondary guys are slow to boot...

Whigham has been really bad. No idea why he was given ACC Defensive POW. The reason he had so many tackles was because his guy was getting a ton of catches. Not sure how the younger kids are honestly but Whigham is a senior and should be much, much better.

I'm sorry but how could the SU coaching staff not know that the CMU head coach and his entire staff were signaling their QB to ground the ball with the clock running ? Did they have blindfolds on ? This disturbs me even more if true which I don't believe.

And wow with some of the threads here. I guess some people see something different on their TV but it sure wasn't the game. We can start with the TO. Watch that play and tell me any D1 coach isn't gonna call timeout when he's got Cordy and Whigham not knowing where to be, Cordy waving his arms to the sideline, and 2 receivers being uncovered.

I know on TV you can see the CMU coach telling them to spike the ball but our sidelines don't know that. They run a play and a wide open WR walks into the endzone, the same people would be screaming for Shafers head.

It's been 25 years, I'm taking 3-0 any way I can get it. Just gotta hope Dungey is ok.

Yeah. Me too.

I turned off the TV thinking we had won the game with Rudy as our quarterback after getting zero first downs in the entire second half and watching our D gut it out with no help from the O and make a huge stop in OT.

After reading the board, I had to go back and make sure we hadn't lost.

There are some really miserable people on this board. They are never happy.

We could win 70-0, gain 800 yards of offense and give up no first downs and they would still find something to b!tch about.

It's a little disheartening to think that Wilson doesn't Know to overthrow that if anything, he's thrown a few picks in his career that are similar throws, hoping dungey is ok!

We had no problems with the time-out

talosians.jpeg

3rd and 17, clock running toward 15 seconds, no timeouts left for Central Mich.
Watching replay, there was initial confusion (on left side of defense) as DBs looked to sidelines for the call. DBs responded and were in position as TO was called.

Just not true that there was an uncovered receiver when the TO was actually called.
Still, Shafer might have wanted to talk about how much pressure to bring and how to defend in the end zone?

With Shafer calling time out, Cent Mich has time to prepare 2 plays, with 15 seconds left. No timeout, clock running down, they get only one chance on the fly?

It is conjecture either way, but the TO helps the offense and gives it two chances. If Central Mich had a TO left, they would have wanted to stop the clock.

3rd and 17, clock running toward 15 seconds, no timeouts left for Central Mich.
Watching replay, there was initial confusion (on left side of defense) as DBs looked to sidelines for the call. DBs responded and were in position as TO was called.

Just not true that there was an uncovered receiver when the TO was actually called.
Still, Shafer might have wanted to talk about how much pressure to bring and how to defend in the end zone?

With Shafer calling time out, Cent Mich has time to prepare 2 plays, with 15 seconds left. No timeout, clock running down, they get only one chance on the fly?

It is conjecture either way, but the TO helps the offense and gives it two chances. If Central Mich had a TO left, they would have wanted to stop the clock.

The D was confused. The issue IMO is that 22 seconds after the sack, they were still confused. That is totally unacceptable. That happened last year to the O and McDonald was fired because of it.

The D was confused. The issue IMO is that 22 seconds after the sack, they were still confused. That is totally unacceptable. That happened last year to the O and McDonald was fired because of it.

Gimme an break.

Please let me follow you around one day in your life and every time you don't measure up to perfection, let me harangue you and let you know how unacceptable your effort is.

If you "this is totally unacceptable" guys held yourselves up to the same standard that you hold these kids and their coaches to, you would fail miserably...

Yeah, they were confused. It happens.

Happens to the Patriots and the Steelers and the Packers also...and those guys, and their coaches, are being paid piles of money...

yep with dungey no way we get shutout in 2nd half

With Dungey, there is no way they have the ball for 40 minutes and even approach 24 points. Our defense would not have had to be out there for 22 minutes of the 2nd half.

I'm sorry but how could the SU coaching staff not know that the CMU head coach and his entire staff were signaling their QB to ground the ball with the clock running ? Did they have blindfolds on ? This disturbs me even more if true which I don't believe.

How do you know that was really what they were going to do? How do you know that Rush wouldn't have just lobbed it to an uncovered receiver that they clearly had 2 of? An incompletion would be the same as a spike.

Everything is not as cut and dried as people would like it to be.

No issue at all with the timeout, or with the 4th down punt for that matter.

I DID disagree with the decision to kick away after the penalty on the Dungey hit and subsequent offsides. Squib kick, pooch or simple onsides kick. Worst case they get the ball around the 35 instead of the 25. Best case we recover. I was also disappointed with the breakdown AFTER the timeout. In that situation you force the throw to the middle of the field and keep the receiver in front of you. I'd also expect that with the college PI rules you grab any receiver that goes up for a ball in the end zone and take the flag.

I feel like when most teams get sacked with no timeouts and are scrambling to the line of scrimmage to quickly get a play off, they generally don't complete touchdown passes. What generally happens is:
  1. They get sacked again
  2. Illegal procedure/false start penalty
  3. They complete a dump off throw to a guy who gets tackled mid-field and the clock runs out

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that our D-line would sack them again. They always seem to come through in the clutch for us. Either way, I'm ecstatic that we won.

Gimme an break.

Please let me follow you around one day in your life and every time you don't measure up to perfection, let me harangue you and let you know how unacceptable your effort is.

If you "this is totally unacceptable" guys held yourselves up to the same standard that you hold these kids and their coaches to, you would fail miserably...

Yeah, they were confused. It happens.

Happens to the Patriots and the Steelers and the Packers also...and those guys, and their coaches, are being paid piles of money...

Sorry it is his job to get a play call in quickly. He had 22 seconds! What happened it is totally unacceptable in the FIRST quarter, let alone the end of the game. I don't see this happening elsewhere. We take a lot of D TOs because of disorganization. Part of the coaches job is to make decisions in a quick manner. If they cannot, then they are failing at their job. This isn't even debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom