Kaleb Joseph article | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph article

Extreme posted it yesterday. Interesting what JB said about ruining players off. I'm quit sure Harris and Devendorph were run off.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...m_starter_to_after-thought_during_sophom.html

98% of basketball is a head game. 1% height. 1% skill. Look at Justin Robinson of Monmouth who is only 5'8". That kid has moxie! I think what Kaleb's game lacks is moxie.

If he sticks with the program then maybe next year as a Junior he will get more PT. Both MR and TB are SGs.

I get that JB wants to recruit tall guards but it would be nice to recruit a good ball handler every now and then. The differences of 5" of height may have nothing to do with playing good defense. If you look at all the UConn NCs teams they all had very good ball handling guards.

The urban legend was that Harris had 3 kids and needed a paycheck.

In any event, he wasn't sticking around after JFlynn declared.

I have a ton of respect for Kaleb Joseph. To go from starting point guard at a top-notch program to essentially a walk-on would be devastating for the average 19-20 year old. But if you watch his body language on the bench, he is completely all-in supporting this team. He doesn't sulk at all.

I don't think the book is closed on him. I expect him to be a very serviceable backup PG as an upperclassman.

I have a ton of respect for Kaleb Joseph. To go from starting point guard at a top-notch program to essentially a walk-on would be devastating for the average 19-20 year old. But if you watch his body language on the bench, he is completely all-in supporting this team. He doesn't sulk at all.

I don't think the book is closed on him. I expect him to be a very serviceable backup PG as an upperclassman.

I agree totally. I though Kaleb would be more of a contributor on the floor this year, but my respect for him as a person has grown tremendously for how he has handled the situation. I can't imagine how difficult it is from probably being the best player all your life throughout high school to not even being able to get off the bench. But he's never spouted off and just keeps cheering harder than anyone on the bench. If you watch the video of the team watching the bracket announcement, Kaleb was happier than anyone when we made it.

Some people might be critical of that article, and trust me, Carlson is not my favorite. But I thought this was pretty fair. Connors said what he wanted to say and JB had a chance to respond to it.

Some people might be critical of that article, and trust me, Carlson is not my favorite. But I thought this was pretty fair. Connors said what he wanted to say and JB had a chance to respond to it.
Not critical of the article, but I hate that it gets written and posted now. Seems like the Post Standard or Syracuse.com or whatever they call themselves is determined to piss all over the team's Cheerios sometimes.

Extreme posted it yesterday. Interesting what JB said about ruining players off. I'm quit sure Harris and Devendorph were run off.
I don't think Devo was runoff by Boeheim, but by the SU administration. Harris was an odd duck and I think JAB told him he was going to lose his minutes to Wes and that if he wanted to stay he could, but he would be coming off the bench for limited run.

I find article odd in that Kaleb's former coach is saying that JAB is running him off to free up a scholarship, but as far as the public scuttlebutt goes, SU isn't even looking at another G for 2016. There's an open scholarship for a big, which SU is looking for, but I haven't seen any rumors for a guard. So if JAB has already targeted a guard to replace Kaleb in 2016, it's being kept far beneath the radar.

Not critical of the article, but I hate that it gets written and posted now. Seems like the Post Standard or Syracuse.com or whatever they call themselves is determined to piss all over the team's Cheerios sometimes.
Yes, some of these articles don't sit well. This one contains more words of direct quotes from his former coach than seem warranted. I'm not sure all previous P-S articles combined this season have quoted Joseph that extensively. And as you noted, the timing of these stories is often curious.

I don't think Devo was runoff by Boeheim, but by the SU administration. Harris was an odd duck and I think JAB told him he was going to lose his minutes to Wes and that if he wanted to stay he could, but he would be coming off the bench for limited run.

I find article odd in that Kaleb's former coach is saying that JAB is running him off to free up a scholarship, but as far as the public scuttlebutt goes, SU isn't even looking at another G for 2016. There's an open scholarship for a big, which SU is looking for, but I haven't seen any rumors for a guard. So if JAB has already targeted a guard to replace Kaleb in 2016, it's being kept far beneath the radar.

I agree, I'm pretty sure JB had to really go to bat for Devo to keep him from being dismissed from the university after some off the court incidents. However, in fairness to Devo, if I'm going to post the above then I'll also say while at SU he and other players at the time attended an event for children and young adults with disabilities and I know from a few people in attendance that he was GREAT with the kids. The most engaging and patient of the players in attendance.

I agree, I'm pretty sure JB had to really go to bat for Devo to keep him from being dismissed from the university after some off the court incidents. However, in fairness to Devo, if I'm going to post the above then I'll also say while at SU he and other players at the time attended an event for children and young adults with disabilities and I know from a few people in attendance that he was GREAT with the kids. The most engaging and patient of the players in attendance.

I've read that about Devo on this board and in other places. He would just be awesome in situations like you describe but in other social situations, just had trouble making the right decisions for some reason.

If that were true, wouldn't we see more deep runs by Ivy League teams?

I am not saying I agree with the poster you were replying to, but book smarts and game smarts are ENTIRELY different things.

Kaleb Joseph was put into a difficult situation. Virtually no one expected Tyler Ennis to leave after a single season. Some people may have thought he may leave after two seasons, but most people, including the "insiders" on this board, expected at least three years from him. With that being said last year and even this year it was expected Kaleb would be coming off the bench for a few minutes a game. For all we know he may have ended up being recruited over and been backup for his entire career, yet he was thrown into the starting role by necessity.

From what I saw last year his mental game was much, much weaker than his physical game. Looking at his face, both on television and at games, he literally looked scared most of the time. That's not a look you want to see on your point guard's face!

Kid's coach sounds like a bit of a . also note that the quotes from the coach are from prior to the Pittsburgh game. took a long time for that story to get off the ground

Kaleb Joseph was put into a difficult situation. Virtually no one expected Tyler Ennis to leave after a single season. Some people may have thought he may leave after two seasons, but most people, including the "insiders" on this board, expected at least three years from him. With that being said last year and even this year it was expected Kaleb would be coming off the bench for a few minutes a game. For all we know he may have ended up being recruited over and been backup for his entire career, yet he was thrown into the starting role by necessity.

From what I saw last year his mental game was much, much weaker than his physical game. Looking at his face, both on television and at games, he literally looked scared most of the time. That's not a look you want to see on your point guard's face!
Good points about the situation this kid found himself in, but I think it's a bit crazy and irresponsible to draw conclusions about someone based on their on-court facial expressions and demeanor.

This is a stupid article. Most kids leave because they are told they aren't going to play as much as they want to. Kaleb has a better chance to pursue his dreams elsewhere - unless his dreams are to play for Syracuse, in which case he'll stay. I don't think his high school coach is doing him any favors though.

This is a stupid article. Most kids leave because they are told they aren't going to play as much as they want to. Kaleb has a better chance to pursue his dreams elsewhere - unless his dreams are to play for Syracuse, in which case he'll stay. I don't think his high school coach is doing him any favors though.
agreed. It's advantageous for the school and the player. I imagine JB would much rather have a kid on the roster he would play, and I would think Kaleb would like the opportunity to play. Scholarships are not guaranteed in reality. Especially at Syracuse in the next few years with a limitation set. JB sounded like in his mind, it was over for Kaleb at Cuse, so I hope he does land on his feet somewhere next year where he can play.

If im boeheim i would rip kaleb's hs coach a new one. That guy literally has no clue whats going on behind the scenes. Kaleb has had his chances, he hasnt performed, so hes on the bench. If kaleb was shooting 14-28 instead of 5-28 i guarantee he'd be in the rotation.

Boeheim doesnt care about his players, he wants to run kaleb off the team, he cares more about scholarships. Get a clue dude.

Orange Barrel said:

Soggy piss-tasting Cheerios are good for clicks/business.

That would be a nice fairy-tale ending. I just don't see it unless some epiphany happens. My opinion is that he is most happy in the stands/bench as a cheerleader and not playing basketball in the primetime.

If im boeheim i would rip kaleb's hs coach a new one. That guy literally has no clue whats going on behind the scenes. Kaleb has had his chances, he hasnt performed, so hes on the bench. If kaleb was shooting 14-28 instead of 5-28 i guarantee he'd be in the rotation.

Boeheim doesnt care about his players, he wants to run kaleb off the team, he cares more about scholarships. Get a clue dude.

Seriously. JB wants to win also. He knows he needs help in the backcourt. If Kaleb could play he would play. He's just an instant liability everywhere on the court upon checking in. Who knows how bad it is in practice...the determining factor for playing time for JB, imo.

Also, I am sick of this Ennis-Joseph sob story. People make it seem like Ennis sufferered some in-season ending injury and Joseph was thrown to the wolves. He was a highly recruited kid who knew he would be starting since April before that season started. It happens ALL over the country. He just regressed mightily from a difficult freshman season to sophomore season when few could even fathom that would be possible. Obviously he's a good kid.

Last edited: