Kaleb Joseph article | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph article

This is not in reference to what you said, but it would be ready made for TV to see some SID tell JB what he can and can't say. Think the only guy at cuse who can is Syverud. And it probably comes down the pipe as shut your mouth now.
Not that I disagree with you, but, I'd love to see somebody from the University swing over to Jimmy B's office and set up a session to discuss Press Conference demeanor. OKKKK.

You think he's got 10 Flockin' minutes for that?

I hear you both. I'm just tired of the narrative here that everything JB says is intentional like some grand svengali of basketball in a manner to send the ultimate message to his players. Sometimes he says stuff he regrets later and has to walk it back like he did in this very article. At his age I'd think he'd know that he doesn't have to say every thing that pops into his head. And yes, I know he absolutely doesn't care what I think.

I have to admit I did find the whole article pretty annoying. We just made the NCAA tournament after starting 0-4 in league and we have over come all of these things. So they right an article about Joseph regressing. Classic Post Standard. It really is amazing how much they seem to me to hate Syracuse Basketball. It makes me wonder why you would chose to live there and cover sports. It's like Tim Kawakami in San Jose hates the San Francisco 49er's. Every Niners fan I have ever met hates his guts.

CuseFaninVT said:
I hear you both. I'm just tired of the narrative here that everything JB says is intentional like some grand svengali of basketball in a manner to send the ultimate message to his players. Sometimes he says stuff he regrets later and has to walk it back like he did in this very article. At his age I'd think he'd know that he doesn't have to say every thing that pops into his head. And yes, I know he absolutely doesn't care what I think.

People who are 70 just about always say what's on their minds. I hope I make it that far ;).

People who are 70 just about always say what's on their minds. I hope I make it that far ;).

True. But very very few of them say anything that anyone else actually cares about. Every word these coaches say, regardless of their age, gets parsed like it's part of a supreme court ruling. all I'm asking is he does what he expects his players to do, even if his press conferences become as boring as Billy Belichek.

G is still a forward, regardless of how often he brought the ball up.

I am not looking to argue semantics but he more closely resembles a 1/2 combo guard than a point forward. Gbinije played mostly on the perimeter and became an outstanding shooter. He was able to effectively beat defenders off the dribble and played at the top of the 2/3. He lead the team in points, assists and steals. His lack of post moves and rebounding stats makes me shy away from labeling him as a 3. I would have liked to have seen him pin smaller defenders in the post and take them inside, but that was not his strength. G was my favorite player to watch this year. His ball handling dramatically improved over last year and his shooting was incredible. He was the leader of this team and carried us for crucial stretches.

Anyone who has ever played organized sports growing up has almost certainly had a moment at some point where you were nervously playing not to screw up, as opposed to trying to make plays. That's what happened with Kaleb this year BADLY, and this confidence went downhill in a hurry.

Next year is a fresh slate with lots of new faces in the program. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect 8-10 min, 3-4 ppg, a couple assists and high energy defense from him.

Well, with all due respect, it's one thing to have a 'moment' and quite another for an abundance of moments...it's called a pattern or trait. Anyone that truly believes in oneself wouldn't allow the bleeding to fester so badly to the point of needing a tourniquet. In my opinion, when challenged, a competitor with a strong mindset, or mental capacity would just say...well, I'll show you, or something to that effect. I'm not saying he didn't lose some confidence, but it isn't what's keeping him off the court. It's simply his skill set or lack thereof, in combination with his relative stature that precludes him from seeing the court. The cream rises to the top...always.

The cream rises to the top...always.

In fairness, I'm not calling on him to make the NBA or anything, I just said I think he had a decent chance of being a serviceable backup.

The cream rises to the top...always.

As I said before, poop and other waste often does as well. Your metaphor insinuates that no player has ever gotten boned out of playing time on any team in any sport. That is just ludicrous, even if KJ was a terrible player or just in a very unfortunate set of circumstances.

I have to admit I did find the whole article pretty annoying. We just made the NCAA tournament after starting 0-4 in league and we have over come all of these things. So they right an article about Joseph regressing. Classic Post Standard. It really is amazing how much they seem to me to hate Syracuse Basketball. It makes me wonder why you would chose to live there and cover sports. It's like Tim Kawakami in San Jose hates the San Francisco 49er's. Every Niners fan I have ever met hates his guts.
This article was written after the Pitt game. Chances are they thought were out of the tournament, and had this story ready to go for the "offseason" - but when we got our NCAA bid they pushed it through since it was already written

As I said before, poop and other waste often does as well. Your metaphor insinuates that no player has ever gotten boned out of playing time on any team in any sport. That is just ludicrous, even if KJ was a terrible player or just in a very unfortunate set of circumstances.

That's your interpretation as I never said any such thing. If a player is getting, 'boned' for playing time, it's because the player he is sitting behind is simply better. There's no substitute for talent, I doubt there's any coach that is going to 'bone' a player playing time if he thinks they can contribute in any way and help them win. Go listen to that JB interview with Dan Dakich that was posted here, it's revealing. Clearly, from what JB sees day in and day out everyday in practice, KJ isn't cutting it, otherwise he'd be playing, especially with us having such a short bench. He said we only have 7 guys, so in JB's mind KJ is unable to contribute, possibly even a detriment. He said KJ had opportunity early on, but didn't produce, so Howard got the nod afterwards.

G is the best player on the team. I love that guy.

That being said, he's not one of the best PGs in the country.

But he may one day be one of the best 2 guards in the NBA. I think he'll be better at the next level than he is now.

That's your interpretation as I never said any such thing. If a player is getting, 'boned' for playing time, it's because the player he is sitting behind is simply better. There's no substitute for talent, I doubt there's any coach that is going to 'bone' a player playing time if he thinks they can contribute in any way and help them win. Go listen to that JB interview with Dan Dakich that was posted here, it's revealing. Clearly, from what JB sees day in and day out everyday in practice, KJ isn't cutting it, otherwise he'd be playing, especially with us having such a short bench. He said we only have 7 guys, so in JB's mind KJ is unable to contribute, possibly even a detriment. He said KJ had opportunity early on, but didn't produce, so Howard got the nod afterwards.

To be clear, I wasnt arguing the KJ situation, but the blanket assertion of "always" about cream rising to the top. I disagree and am feeling it myself right now. I'd just like to see your "cream rises to the top...always" banned. That's all, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the KJ situation any more than any of us on here do. Only insiders know the truth for certain.

Kaleb should have redshirted this year.

Maybe I should have redshirted this season. ;) I came close, but the hook drew me back at the end...i missed some of you.

Do you think Boeheim asked him if he wanted to, or do you think the staff erred?

Maybe I should have redshirted this season. ;) I came close, but the hook drew me back at the end...i missed some of you.

Do you think Boeheim asked him if he wanted to, or do you think the staff erred?
I don't think redshirting him was ever an option, given his significant experience as a freshman and the lack of backcourt depth on the roster.

I don't think redshirting him was ever an option, given his significant experience as a freshman and the lack of backcourt depth on the roster.

Sounds reasonable to me. I just was interested in seeing why that poster felt that way.

Unrecognizable. It's as if the kid underwent a lobotomy at some point last offseason.
The only thing that lookded remotely similar was his "stand up from the bench and clap" game