Kaleb Joseph article | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph article

That would be a nice fairy-tale ending. I just don't see it unless some epiphany happens. My opinion is that he is most happy in the stands/bench as a cheerleader and not playing basketball in the primetime.
agree. Good kid all around. Wish it would have worked out. It didn't.

Not sure what to think about Devo, he's very friendly with the staff and he'sbeen one of the most active former players with the current program over the past 5 years.

Run off, but not by Boeheim.

OttoMets said:
And Michael Brown, and Patterson and Johnson last season. Yeah, another BS claim from Boeheim.

Glad Joseph has handled this with class.

And you know this how? BJ's dad still posts here sometimes, you think he'd do that if boeheim ran his son off the team?

I would say 60% natural talent, 20% size, 10% coaching, 10% quality family/support system.

We could dicker over the numbers but I think you get my point. There's something wrong with Kaleb's mind. He has all the tools he needs. Something breaks down when he plays. Maybe its fear of failure. Maybe he doesn't like performing in front of a large number of people. He seemed so talented when they recruited him.

Regardless, we really need to recruit 1 true 4-star PG every two years who will stick with the program for 3 or 4 years.

Good points about the situation this kid found himself in, but I think it's a bit crazy and irresponsible to draw conclusions about someone based on their on-court facial expressions and demeanor.

So what do you think should happen to Kaleb in the program? You seem to have a pretty strong opinion on what other people are saying.

I would like to understand what people mean by running off. If someone else at guard develops quicker than you and takes playing time away from you. Then if the coach tells you that is he running you off. I remember people on this board wanted Rak to transfer out so you can improve and have a role in the system. Let's say Battle blows up and Mali has a good year next year and they both leave. Then we have Howard, Joseph and someone who isn't here yet. I can't image he doesn't improve and play under that scenario. I think Joseph is a great kid and a great teammate and I think he has had issues adjusting. If you player major division 1 basketball you are going to be one of the best players on your team and the floor often times in high school. Then you go to college and if you struggle some kids have a hard time adjusting and improving with what that does to their confidence. I think that happened to Joseph.

If im boeheim i would rip kaleb's hs coach a new one. That guy literally has no clue whats going on behind the scenes. Kaleb has had his chances, he hasnt performed, so hes on the bench. If kaleb was shooting 14-28 instead of 5-28 i guarantee he'd be in the rotation.

Boeheim doesnt care about his players, he wants to run kaleb off the team, he cares more about scholarships. Get a clue dude.

I agree. It's about winning otherwise BJ would be starting. Not everyone gets to play in the NBA either.

I would like to understand what people mean by running off. If someone else at guard develops quicker than you and takes playing time away from you. Then if the coach tells you that is he running you off. I remember people on this board wanted Rak to transfer out so you can improve and have a role in the system. Let's say Battle blows up and Mali has a good year next year and they both leave. Then we have Howard, Joseph and someone who isn't here yet. I can't image he doesn't improve and play under that scenario. I think Joseph is a great kid and a great teammate and I think he has had issues adjusting. If you player major division 1 basketball you are going to be one of the best players on your team and the floor often times in high school. Then you go to college and if you struggle some kids have a hard time adjusting and improving with what that does to their confidence. I think that happened to Joseph.

Say the scenario plays out like you say. I agree Joseph would get more playing time. Maybe by that time he plays like Dion's sophomore year. Playing with the Orange is a big stage. Kaleb may get more PT somewhere else but maybe on a much smaller stage.

Two things happened this year. Silent G turned into one of the best PG's in the country and was averaging 35+ minutes a game. Richardson was a solid starter that could effectively play along side Mike and Trevor. Then Frankie Howard turned out to be better than most people expected and beat out Kaleb. Joseph was #3 on the PG depth chart and #4 on the SG depth chart. JB usually only goes 7 deep with regularity. There were no minutes for Joseph this year. That is not the coaching staffs fault, he was simply outplayed. Chino found himself in a similar situation this year. Had BJ and the Bus remained at SU, they were likely to have seen even fewer minutes than Joseph received.

Many players are faced with making the decision about being a back-up player at a higher ranking program or transferring to a smaller program and being a major contributor. There is no "wrong" decision. Joseph seems to be a good kid and the coaching staff seems to like him. It would be nice to have him stay for depth purposes, but if he decides to transfer that is an understandable decision. I wish him the best of luck either way.

So what do you think should happen to Kaleb in the program? You seem to have a pretty strong opinion on what other people are saying.
I think it's up to him to decide if he wants to stick it out at SU. I have seen him perform at a high level (most notably against Villanova last season), so he does possess the ability to play at this level. I don't like the arm chair speculation that he is somehow a weak-minded basket case and should be tossed aside.

I think it's up to him to decide if he wants to stick it out at SU. I have seen him perform at a high level (most notably against Villanova last season), so he does possess the ability to play at this level. I don't like the arm chair speculation that he is somehow a weak-minded basket case and should be tossed aside.

Let us hope when he gets another big chance it turns out to be a terrific success.

Two things happened this year. Silent G turned into one of the best PG's in the country and was averaging 35+ minutes a game. Richardson was a solid starter that could effectively play along side Mike and Trevor. Then Frankie Howard turned out to be better than most people expected and beat out Kaleb. Joseph was #3 on the PG depth chart and #4 on the SG depth chart. JB usually only goes 7 deep with regularity. There were no minutes for Joseph this year. That is not the coaching staffs fault, he was simply outplayed. Chino found himself in a similar situation this year. Had BJ and the Bus remained at SU, they were likely to have seen even fewer minutes than Joseph received.

Many players are faced with making the decision about being a back-up player at a higher ranking program or transferring to a smaller program and being a major contributor. There is no "wrong" decision. Joseph seems to be a good kid and the coaching staff seems to like him. It would be nice to have him stay for depth purposes, but if he decides to transfer that is an understandable decision. I wish him the best of luck either way.

G is still a forward, regardless of how often he brought the ball up.

Anyone who has ever played organized sports growing up has almost certainly had a moment at some point where you were nervously playing not to screw up, as opposed to trying to make plays. That's what happened with Kaleb this year BADLY, and this confidence went downhill in a hurry.

Next year is a fresh slate with lots of new faces in the program. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect 8-10 min, 3-4 ppg, a couple assists and high energy defense from him.

Anyone who has ever played organized sports growing up has almost certainly had a moment at some point where you were nervously playing not to screw up, as opposed to trying to make plays. That's what happened with Kaleb this year BADLY, and this confidence went downhill in a hurry.

Next year is a fresh slate with lots of new faces in the program. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect 8-10 min, 3-4 ppg, a couple assists and high energy defense from him.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Two things I didn't like about the article.

JB's comparison to Chino is bunk. Chino didn't start most of the games last year so the comparison is nonsensical.

Second, and I wonder if hearing JB say it himself will help Townie72 realize sometimes during press conferences JB just says stuff that he knows he shouldn't have, please refer to the quote about Frank. "Frank's made some really good plays," Boeheim said. "I said he should have come out (against Pittsburgh) but I was just saying that. We watched the tape and he made five or six good plays. ... "

I know SID types work with the kids on teams to not hit send on Twitter and other social media outlets. I wonder if anyone has ever counseled JB to not say all the things that come into his mind during those press conferences. Some things don't need to be said.

JB's comparison to Chino is bunk. Chino didn't start most of the games last year so the comparison is nonsensical.

Second, and I wonder if hearing JB say it himself will help Townie72 realize sometimes during press conferences JB just says stuff that he knows he shouldn't have, please refer to the quote about Frank. "Frank's made some really good plays," Boeheim said. "I said he should have come out (against Pittsburgh) but I was just saying that. We watched the tape and he made five or six good plays. ... "

I know SID types work with the kids on teams to not hit send on Twitter and other social media outlets. I wonder if anyone has ever counseled JB to not say all the things that come into his mind during those press conferences. Some things don't need to be said.
Not that I disagree with you, but, I'd love to see somebody from the University swing over to Jimmy B's office and set up a session to discuss Press Conference demeanor. OKKKK.

You think he's got 10 Flockin' minutes for that?

This is not in reference to what you said, but it would be ready made for TV to see some SID tell JB what he can and can't say. Think the only guy at cuse who can is Syverud. And it probably comes down the pipe as shut your mouth now.

It is kind of funny. People are constantly talking about coach speak and how it would be great if a coach was honest with the media and then when he is he gets called a bully or a jerk. I did find the "I was just saying that" quote interesting though. I think he was admitting that he was wrong about that in a way. To say that I said that but then went back and watched the tape and he made multiple good plays leading up to it so there was no reason to seeing it coming. Basically that Frank deserved to be out there with his play and Boeheim's initial knee jerk reaction was wrong.

I've read that about Devo on this board and in other places. He would just be awesome in situations like you describe but in other social situations, just had trouble making the right decisions for some reason.
He's a good hearted kid who doesn't seem to be able to handle his alcohol. Reminds me of me when I was his age.