Kansas Game Thread... | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas Game Thread...

We outrebounded another Power 5 team. We grabbed 75% of their misses and 40 percent of ours. Rebounding is a strength.
I'm still pleasantly surprised by this team even though they didn't win. If they played like I thought they would pre-season, we would have lost by 30. But despite lots of inexperience and bean-pole bodies, they have developing chemistry and lots of heart. Unforced TO's and missed open looks were not going to go unpunished against the best shooting team in the nation.

But we have some positives to take away from this game. For one, we outrebounded them and I think our rebounding will improve even more. Second, Chukwu got his jitters out. He got a little awkward and gave up position for lobs, but he hung in there and even found some confidence at the FTL. He alters a ton of shots and as he and Sibibe improve, the zone rises to another level. Third, Brissett finally got his outside shot going. It wasn't consistent but at least he saw the ball go in and his stroke looks really NICE. Big things ahead for him.

Frank didn't shoot it well, but he ran the team and stood up against one of the top programs in the country on national TV. He picked up some uncharacteristic fouls. But overall, he should be proud of his poise and effort against pretty tough M2M, and he was able to get to the rim a couple times. Tyus had a very slow start and, while he made his average, wasn't quite 100% which was needed against such a talented team.

MM showed some heart but (no points or rebounds) is struggling at this level. On the other hand, I liked everything about MD except he just needs to get his shot going. He's got to keep shooting when he's open and that jumper will fall. The sooner the better. Then he needs to eat and sleep in the weight room next summer.

Last edited:
What's he supposed to do? We don't run anything aside from the most simplistic motion offense ever.
Good point. Thought he missed a couple open people, but that’s nit picky. Frank was great overall. 7 dimes.

I was most impressed by Frank Howard. Last year in a game like this he would have disappeared. 15 points on 6-14 (43%, best on team), 2-5 on 3s ( 40%, best on team). 7-4 assist to TO ratio (best on team). SU out- rebounded Kansas by 5, including 15-7 on the offensive boards. Syracuse was down by 21 and cut the lead to 9. On the negative side -- Team shot 32%, 22% from 3. Almost twice as many turnovers to assists (17-9). Only 1 block. Did not defend the 3 very well -- again. Maybe JB should have the team practice a box-and-one in case a player like Graham starts hitting from all over the court. Other than Howard, I was not impressed by the play of the other SU players very much. Certainly Battle had his moments but shot 35% from the field and 18% from 3. Brissett 3-13 and 2-8 from 3. Both centers were underwhelming in my opinion. But I do think the team showed a lot at times. If only they could shoot.

I agree with Dick Vitale's assessment of the team. They will beat some teams they should not beat and be beaten by some teams they should beat easily.

I should have added that Kansas is a much more experienced team than Syracuse and plays tough defense. Very little came easily to the SU offense.

That box score has an error - says we didn't have any technical fouls. Isn't that what they called Chukwu's blown dunk?

The dumbest call I can remember . He didn’t hang on the rim as an unsportsmanlike act , missing the dunk stunned him and he clutched at the rim for stability

Then , in a strange turn of events. Kansas took one technical FT and we got the ball back ?

The dumbest call I can remember . He didn’t hang on the rim as an unsportsmanlike act , missing the dunk stunned him and he clutched at the rim for stability

Then , in a strange turn of events. Kansas took one technical FT and we got the ball back ?

Exactly right. He's a big goofy kid who needed to hang to stabilize his landing.

Helps when the D is playing on these guys 5 feet or more outside the three point line.

Whoa Whoa Whoa stop the clock. According to the accolytes that's impossible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom