Kentucky - West Virginia | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky - West Virginia

Good refs are in demand because they're reliable and consistent. Why the heck do guys like Ed Hightower fly all over the country? Because they're in demand. NO they're not perfect, but they're consistent, and coaches and AD's want that. Perfection is unattainable., consistency is readily available, and guys whose living is dependent on it prefer it, want it, and lobby for it. Why do coaches like JB willingly accept refs like Jim Burr and Tim Higgins - with whom I've routinely disagreed? Because they know what they're getting and they can work with that. And that's the way it is. Give up the idea there's any purity related to the rule book, LMFAO!

And as far as block/charge goes, I'm happy to let anyone else out there put on some stripes and come show us how it's done. Because most of you have no F-ing idea how F-ing difficult it is to get that call right. I mean, if it was that easy, wouldn't we all be doing it? :noidea:
JB allegedly used his BE block to prevent Jim Burr from calling SU games in the Dome during our last BE season.Tim Higgins is universally hated by every fanbase in the Big East. Why? The answer is likely because the guy was a ref who loved to troll home crowds and revel in being booed. I doubt publicly coaches will say anything negative about refs if they regularly call games in their conference.

I don't care if refs are in demand call less games as the travel has to wear these guys down and they are doing it strictly for the $$$. How do NBA refs call the block/charge mostly correct and NCAA refs are charge happy? The charge call in the Final Four 2013 on Brandon Triche in the last 10 seconds of Michigan-Syracuse game cost the Orange a chance to beat Michigan. The fact refs don't call blocks when players aren't fully set shows they don't know how to correctly call block/charges.

As I told you already, there are two different rule books, and two different philosophies.

And as I've already stated as well, write your exam, put on your stripes and get out here and show us how it's done. I can't wait. :D

JB allegedly used his BE block to prevent Jim Burr from calling SU games in the Dome during our last BE season.Tim Higgins is universally hated by every fanbase in the Big East. Why? The answer is likely because the guy was a ref who loved to troll home crowds and revel in being booed. I doubt publicly coaches will say anything negative about refs if they regularly call games in their conference.

I don't care if refs are in demand call less games as the travel has to wear these guys down and they are doing it strictly for the $$$. How do NBA refs call the block/charge mostly correct and NCAA refs are charge happy? The charge call in the Final Four 2013 on Brandon Triche in the last 10 seconds of Michigan-Syracuse game cost the Orange a chance to beat Michigan. The fact refs don't call blocks when players aren't fully set shows they don't know how to correctly call block/charges.
Even after the NCAA revised the block/charge rule and clarified it 10 times...most refs still allow the defensive player to slide under the offensive player after he is airborne and then call contact a charge. You see it in every game. The NCAA and the conferences have no effective means to discipline the refs.

How can they not be in the conversation of all-time great teams if they run the table? Who are the teams that we're putting above them?

I think their 2012 team with Anthony Davis was better.

Kentucky is obviously the favorites to win it all, especially after watching them pound WV last night. BUT, they havent really been tested by a top 10 team since December. It will be interesting to see how they fair against a Wisc, Zona, Duke.

The only good teams they beat during the season were Lousiville, UNC and Kansas and those were all back in Dec/Nov. Since then they have only played ONE ranked team (Arkansas). If they were in the ACC/B10/Pac12 they would not be undefeated right now.

The charge call in the Final Four 2013 on Brandon Triche in the last 10 seconds of Michigan-Syracuse game cost the Orange a chance to beat Michigan. The fact refs don't call blocks when players aren't fully set shows they don't know how to correctly call block/charges.

Southerland 2-9 MCW 1-6. 21% from three as a team.

Those darned refs!

So now we move on to how Notre Dame is the kind of team that can give UK trouble, right? Someone may be right eventually.

How can they not be in the conversation of all-time great teams if they run the table? Who are the teams that we're putting above them?

I think the argument is that since the players don't stay as long as they used to, the teams top level teams just aren't quite as good, which is something I can get behind. If this was 1974 or whatever, then Anthony Davis and MKG etc would be seniors, and I'd imagine that team would be better than this one, though this one is obviously awesome.

Btw on a side now I wonder if Davis's game would be stunted if he were still in college. I think the answer is probably yes, but by how much I dunno.

Those darned refs!

Agree 100%. At the end of the day, that is exactly what sunk us. That entire tournament, MCW had been a fantastic scorer, but he really laid an egg in the F4. Southerland hit two shots, but both of them came in the last 90 seconds of the game. And despite that, with only Triche and Fair [and to a lesser extent, Grant] having good games, we were right there at the end. The call on Triche was poor, but it should never have come down to that. Make a few @#$ shots, and we win.

Last edited:

Those darned refs!
Did you watch the game? So basically bad calls never matter and that players struggling is all that matters. Watch the last 3 minutes of that game. The Zebras missed an offensive foul on Trey Burke throwing an elbow at MCW and called the foul on MCW and the Jordan Morgan "charge" call was pathetic and Jay Bilas nailed it on his call.
Listen from 1:30:30

As I told you already, there are two different rule books, and two different philosophies.

And as I've already stated as well, write your exam, put on your stripes and get out here and show us how it's done. I can't wait. :D
There are two different rule books is an excuse. College refs call way too many games for $$$ and they aren't consistent. College refs are not good I get your ref and will defend them, but unlike other sports college basketball refs are probably the worst of the worst.

Did you watch the game? So basically bad calls never matter and that players struggling is all that matters. Watch the last 3 minutes of that game. The Zebras missed an offensive foul on Trey Burke throwing an elbow at MCW and called the foul on MCW and the Jordan Morgan "charge" call was pathetic and Jay Bilas nailed it on his call.
Listen from 1:30:30

Did you watch the game? Do the first 39:30 not matter? Does one (admittedly bad) call negate a night of poor offensive execution?

There are two different rule books is an excuse. College refs call way too many games for $$$ and they aren't consistent. College refs are not good I get your ref and will defend them, but unlike other sports college basketball refs are probably the worst of the worst.

"To hell with your professional experience. I'm right because my team got screwed."

They stayed with them but still lost by 13. They're deep and do what they should do and pull out at the end with fresh guys.

There's a pattern there. Plenty of teams have been within 5 of UK with 6:00 to play but UK tends to wear them down and win by double digits. The Cincy game was a good example. Cincy hung around for a while but were actually down 18 with less than a minute to play and UK shot very poorly in that game. Yet the impression is that Cincy played them tough.

"To hell with your professional experience. I'm right because my team got screwed."
If you honestly think my opinion is based on one game you just like to debate and take the opposing argument just for the hell of it. College refs suck at calling charge/block sorry you want to boil this down t0 one scenario you allege is me being bitter when I just hate horrible inefficiency refereeing. I mean What you actually think this all about my team being screwed? Why do you even respond if that is what you think. I used an easy example.

I doubt you listened to what Bilas said and he said he has been on record with how much a joke the charge/block has been in college basketball. I trust Jay Bilas opinion way more than your trolling me opinion.

If you honestly think my opinion is based on one game you just like to debate and take the opposing argument just for the hell of it. College refs suck at calling charge/block sorry you want to boil this down t0 one scenario you allege is me being bitter when I just hate horrible inefficiency refereeing. I mean What you actually think this all about my team being screwed? Why do you even respond if that is what you think. I used an easy example.

I doubt you listened to what Bilas said and he said he has been on record with how much a joke the charge/block has been in college basketball. I trust Jay Bilas opinion way more than your trolling me opinion.

There's a difference between acknowledging that officiating is poor and using refs as a convenient bogeyman whenever we lose a game.

Fine, have it your way. You're consigning yourself to a lifetime of frustration. But that's your choice.

Fine, have it your way. You're consigning yourself to a lifetime of frustration. But that's your choice.
I could respond with an actual response, but I will just wish you a good night as actually responding to such rubbish would actually validate your statement.

I could respond with an actual response, but I will just wish you a good night as actually responding to such rubbish would actually validate your statement.

I think you just did, anyway. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom