Last 2 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Last 2 games

imo, the most overlooked thing about this game is the amount of times we got it up to 5-6 points and couldn't get a little breakaway.
Must have been 7-8 times and I know tech hit a few hard shots on a few of those.

Tech shot 37.5 percent we shot 42% we were only 57% from the line and we drove inside drew fouls all night, but it seemed to take forever to hit the bonus. I hate games like this where you never hit the bonus in the first, then hit it late in the second and miss all your one and ones. Goes to show how important foul shots are on some nights.
It really felt like we missed every front end of the one and one.

It was harder to score today because GT plays defense and ND doesn't. It was a grinder kind of game. Both defenses forced the other team to struggle and that's why it wasn't pretty. The officiating was dreadful. The only good thing about them is that they got the crowd into the game.

That's what it seemed like in the car. Had to listen to the game on TuneInRadio. I knew this going in that GA Tech was going to play defense and they have some diesel bodies in the paint. They certainly haven't been a pushover to anybody. I'll watch the replay later but seemed that Park was really into Howard and Coleman the most. Seemed like Frank saw the court well, made some great passes, and Coleman did a good job against some big bodies.

Got a point. But va tech is in a better conference and heck even recruiting area than Kentucky.
Kentucky's recruiting area is
image.jpg

Private jets? I think Va Tech doubled his salary from Marquette, not a bad reason to move and he will keep building there. His only other move would be too a top 10 type of Elite program. He's obviously marches to his on tune, he turned the Oregon job down the year before. He I'll build Va Tech into a winner and consistent top 25 team. It will take him another year or two because he's not the greatest recruiter nor is Va Tech a destination for hoops. Wacky but a very very good basketball coach. I like the guy.

Mali had really good second half offensively and rebounded the ball well throughout. That was big. He obviously struggled from the line, though.

He was still hacking up god awful shots in the 2nd half. I think at 1 point he was 1/7 or 1/6... and all 5 or 6 of those misses were the worst shots of the game save whatever the hell Cooney was doing on the airball.

But he was the worst player on the court for more than half of the game. If you are talking about bad play, he has to be included. That being said - he was the reason we won the game at the end. He certainly came through.

Dont forget to read what is underlined.

Private jets? I think Va Tech doubled his salary from Marquette, not a bad reason to move and he will keep building there. His only other move would be too a top 10 type of Elite program. He's obviously marches to his on tune, he turned the Oregon job down the year before. He I'll build Va Tech into a winner and consistent top 25 team. It will take him another year or two because he's not the greatest recruiter nor is Va Tech a destination for hoops. Wacky but a very very good basketball coach. I like the guy.

Wrong. he took almost a 20% paycut. 2.8 million at marquette to 2.3 million at vatech.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vtu

everything else you said proves my point that it was super odd for him to take va tech job. He could have stayed at marqutte or taken a better job. Oregon would have been a much better deal for him. Easier conference to win and recruit. Massive amounts of money and facilities, and fertile recruiting area.

Last edited:
imo, the most overlooked thing about this game is the amount of times we got it up to 5-6 points and couldn't get a little breakaway.
Must have been 7-8 times and I know tech hit a few hard shots on a few of those.

Tech shot 37.5 percent we shot 42% we were only 57% from the line and we drove inside drew fouls all night, but it seemed to take forever to hit the bonus. I hate games like this where you never hit the bonus in the first, then hit it late in the second and miss all your one and ones. Goes to show how important foul shots are on some nights.
Hey hey hey! Glad to see your post!

I'm just wondering who will spend more time on the court - Brian Gregory seemed to be giving Buzz a run for his money today.
Right? I was thinking these young coaches must have gone to a clinic where Dixon told them its OK to run up and down the court.

He was still hacking up god awful shots in the 2nd half. I think at 1 point he was 1/7 or 1/6... and all 5 or 6 of those misses were the worst shots of the game save whatever the hell Cooney was doing on the airball.

But he was the worst player on the court for more than half of the game. If you are talking about bad play, he has to be included. That being said - he was the reason we won the game at the end. He certainly came through.

Dont forget to read what is underlined.
Maybe you should go with all caps/bold/italics too and maybe I'll be able to grasp it.

Maybe you should go with all caps/bold/italics too and maybe I'll be able to grasp it.

Not really meant as an insult to you directly. But it happens all the time on this board. They have selective reading skills.

Not really meant as an insult to you directly. But it happens all the time on this board. They have selective reading skills.
I get you and agree about the selective reading skills of many on here.

And given the choice, I'd rather be insulted indirectly as opposed to directly because it's more fun that way.

This. So much this.
This ... and we were flat as pancakes having played on Thursday night. Trevor had no legs, Roberson's foul shouts looked like dead squirrels and G was short all night on 3's. Fortunately, awesome defense and a couple jumpers from MR bailed us out. GT's lineup is ridiculous for a conference basement dweller ... they play good D. They have outside shooters and big athletic forwards. They're experienced, well-coached and they bring a 7 footer off the bench .. we were lucky to get out of there -5 on the glass.

Whatever.

W.

A couple of conference notes: LV looked like high school kids against UVA last night, and the game was at the Dumb center. Makes our performance at UVA look pretty good. We were in that game late ... until Brogdon pulled his usual home stretch superman thing. NCSt. won big at home against Miami and F-St beat Clemson. UNC's pulling away ... but they higher they go the harder they'll fall.

We only go 6 deep (and Howard), but I agree with your point that we have good balance. Our three perimeter guys all present some problems for the defense, and they move the ball well among themselves. Still, we need Cooney to convert his chances, or we have to eke out games like today.

We should not have to rely on Cooney to have a comfortable win. Cooney is a senior, when he is not hitting his 3s he should be differing to someone that is, especially at the end of the game. Shooters are hot and cold. Cooney brings other things to the table. There was a strectch when we were tied in the GT game at 47, for 3 consective posessions Cooney took bad shots with plenty of time on the clock. I am not bashing the kid, but with the shooters we have on this team, he should never be going 2-13 and taking critical shots at the end of the game. Noone should be. We have scorers this season!

Fwiw, Cooney didn't take a shot the last 6:30 of the game.

I know the guy is nuts and another one of those coaches that live in the court, but I think he does a great job. I wonder how good his teams would be if he was at a top notch school where he could bring in better talent every year. I think he's a good coach and it'll be a tough game.

Agreed. One of the bonuses for me leaving the Big East was not having to play against this guy. I loathe his style but his kids buy in and he's very good at attacking our zone.

VT has tools, will be interesting to see what he can build there.

Agreed. One of the bonuses for me leaving the Big East was not having to play against this guy. I loathe his style but his kids buy in and he's very good at attacking our zone.

VT has tools, will be interesting to see what he can build there.

Unlike Pitino, at least Buzz Williams has some class. I remember when we beat them in the NCAA tournament a few years ago and he had nothing but nice things to say about how well the Orange played. Unlike the time when we beat LVille and in the post game interview Pitino was going off on how bad his kids were playing. Pitino never said a thing about how well the Orange played or that they deserved to win. Pitino is still a much bigger jack donkey than Buzz will ever be!

Huge peeve of mine. Can't stand when coaches are on the court.
The coach from Clemson is another one. Brownell is big enough to hurt someone if they ran in to him. I bet he was the pick setter in his day.

Unlike Pitino, at least Buzz Williams has some class. I remember when we beat them in the NCAA tournament a few years ago and he had nothing but nice things to say about how well the Orange played. Unlike the time when we beat LVille and in the post game interview Pitino was going off on how bad his kids were playing. Pitino never said a thing about how well the Orange played or that they deserved to win. Pitino is still a much bigger jack donkey than Buzz will ever be!

Speaking of class, has anyone else noticed that Mike Brey is a pretty classy guy? I want to hate him because of Notre Dame/Duke/slicked hair/mock turtle necks, but he always says good things about our program when we play them. His offer to buy Cooney a beverage was pretty funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom